• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA State Police M&P 2.0 trade in guns available

I may be wrong, but I believe LAPD officers pay for their own firearms. Or maybe they have the option of buying something that meets the specs if they don't like the issued pistol. On the Smith & Wesson forum there is a LAPD officer who bought, qualified, and carries a S&W 4506, which is a full size all stainless semi automatic with a 5" barrel.

Up until a few years ago, there were officers still carrying revolvers although they were older and close to retiring.

As to the MSP pistols, it doesn't seem like more than a few years ago when they switched to these. I wonder why they are trading them so soon?

I'll just go work for lapd and get mine for free

I may be wrong, but I believe LAPD officers pay for their own firearms. Or maybe they have the option of buying something that meets the specs if they don't like the issued pistol. On the Smith & Wesson forum there is a LAPD officer who bought, qualified, and carries a S&W 4506, which is a full size all stainless semi automatic with a 5" barrel.

Up until a few years ago, there were officers still carrying revolvers although they were older and close to retiring.

As to the MSP pistols, it doesn't seem like more than a few years ago when they switched to these. I wonder why they are trading them so soon?
I appreciate the well written response. I was actually referring to another thread at the time about 44 guns that went missing at lapd

My guess with the decision to switch to 45 is probably how smith got the contract by offering the mighty 45. Plus the deal was probably to good to turn down. And 45 appeals to a lot of egos. I'm pretty sure they were using sig 226 Daks in 40 before.

Are they worth more if a trooper had one of these while standing idly by watching BLM and Antifa burning, looting and murdering? Part of dismally embarrassing history?

We carried the ‘mid size’ M&P 45. I love guns and recoil therapy…. But it’s a terrible gun for cops with 230gr +P and shooting twice a year. I was glad to be rid of it as an instructor

Kinda surprised MA does this tbh. I'd have figured they would offer to sell to LE and melt down whatever's left before theyd sell them to civilians.

Probably a massive stock pile of .45 ammo from years back when .45 was all the rage w/pd’s.
That doesn't sound like any mass department of anything... we could save the taxpayers money by using stuff we already have

The typical ma response would be hey we have all this extra ammo

Cool let's scrap 45 go with 40... destroy all the 45 then scrap the 40 and go with 45 again and buy more than we had before

Don’t start laughing yet, I just tried to buy one and got an auto-generated “cannot ship this item to your location (MA).

Jurek brothers in greenfield ma.
They only sell to Leo…

Time for another look?

Highway patrols tend to like .40s&w and .45 ACP because of a higher frequency of needing to penetrate car bodies or laminated safety glass. One of the few instances where the slightly better penetration characteristics matter more than capacity now that modern pistol ammo has almost the same wound channel.

Same reason they liked .357 magnum when every other PD was still using .38 special.

That doesn't sound like any mass department of anything... we could save the taxpayers money by using stuff we already have

The typical ma response would be hey we have all this extra ammo

Cool let's scrap 45 go with 40... destroy all the 45 then scrap the 40 and go with 45 again and buy more than we had before
Ya good call, can’t argue with that. lol

Highway patrols tend to like .40s&w and .45 ACP because of a higher frequency of needing to penetrate car bodies or laminated safety glass. One of the few instances where the slightly better penetration characteristics matter more than capacity now that modern pistol ammo has almost the same wound channel.

Same reason they liked .357 magnum when every other PD was still using .38 special.
Is that really a thing?

I can't remember the last shootout i heard a car being in with cops

Is that real or one of those internet urban legends

The 2.0s were never issued. Word has it they had problems during testing that S&W wouldn't fix and MSP canceled the order so S&W dumped them on the secondary market.
Well, Good to know S&W would dump a bunch of reject handguns on the public. If the problems were cosmetic or other non-safety related issues, fine.
If it is something that could get you killed...? A pox on the house of S&W.

1639018641124.png

From what @free wrote here, it is unclear if they are moving TO or FROM the 2.0.
Looks like moving to. At the time in July though. Mush has changed since then. The article was from July 21. But i just deleted my post as i see another poster above already posted the link. Thanks.

So they move TO the 2.0 in the end of July, and now are moving FROM it 4+ months later? Something goofy there.

I'm surprised they didn't require the MSP logo and nomenclature to be removed - like on the batch of former NJSP HK P7-M8s that were butchered by milling work to remove their engraved logo.

Just imaging the fun the police, prosecutors and press would have if you used one of these in self defense.

I'm surprised they didn't require the MSP logo and nomenclature to be removed - like on the batch of former NJSP HK P7-M8s that were butchered by milling work to remove their engraved logo.

Just imaging the fun the police, prosecutors and press would have if you used one of these in self defense.
Some Binger would charge the owner with impersonating a police officer.

I would prefer Kyles AR. At least it only has white body’s on it

Well, Good to know S&W would dump a bunch of reject handguns on the public. If the problems were cosmetic or other non-safety related issues, fine.
If it is something that could get you killed...? A pox on the house of S&W.

View attachment 550196
the problem MAY have been operator induced, like limp wristing a Glock.

There is nothing the factory can do about operator error, and the buying agency is going to place the blame on the manufacturer to save the ass of the person who recommended the purchase.

Remember we have to arm the whole department to the level of the worst shooter..... why did the FBI abandon 10mm?

I wish S&W had the stones to say "we are not allowing any distributor we have agreements with to sell ANY S&W product to ANY agency in MA"

Allegedly there were sight issues (mfg related) with the 2.0's and S&W would not make them right. 1.0's are still in circulation but over 10 years old now. I wouldn't be surprised to see SIG 9mms in the future...

Back
Top Bottom