• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA SJC rules stun gun ban violates the 2A

I hardly think Webster's is a reliable source of truth for the English language. At least not in the past couple decades.
Best I have available since the OED is a pay site.

In general, I will take a Webster's definition over the declaration of someone on NES (even Len S and Drgrant).

In general, I will take a Webster's definition over the declaration of someone on NES (even Len S and Drgrant).

Suit yourself. If you felt so strongly about the issue that you had to log in at 1am to update us all, I feel for your pain.

Definition of assault rifle
: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

Seems like websters has an agenda and is manipulating the meaning of words, I wouldn't cite them as any kind of source.

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

Seems like websters has an agenda and is manipulating the meaning of words, I wouldn't cite them as any kind of source.
Nope. A dictionary is descriptive, not prescriptive, i.e., a dictionary describes already common usage and does not invent anything new.

Regrettably, that definition of AW has become a commonly accepted one.

Dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. They're not law.

i.e.: Dictionaries, (Miriam Webster is explicit in this), have the one job of informing the reader of the meaning and usage of a word *as it is used*, not as it *should* be used, or what it *originally* meant.

Miriam Webster is doing the right thing by providing the common usage meaning of the word, even if we don't like it. It's not indicative of a political agenda on their part.

i.e.: Dictionaries, (Miriam Webster is explicit in this), have the one job of informing the reader of the meaning and usage of a word *as it is used*, not as it *should* be used, or what it *originally* meant.

Miriam Webster is doing the right thing by providing the common usage meaning of the word, even if we don't like it. It's not indicative of a political agenda on their part.

Bull, assault rifle has a real definition, the one they inserted is the made up assault weapon definition. You can stand here all day saying that it just reflects idiots using it wrong, but the reason people use it wrong is because of nonsense like that.

All definitions are made up over time. In France, there is a "Real definition" for each word, established by the immortals who serve on the Academie Francais. Here in the US, words just happen - and new definitions are added or changed each year, and some new words like McJob and bazillion even make the news when added to the dictionary.

Last edited:
Nope. A dictionary is descriptive, not prescriptive, i.e., a dictionary describes already common usage and does not invent anything new.

Bull, assault rifle has a real definition, the one they inserted is the made up assault weapon definition. You can stand here all day saying that it just reflects idiots using it wrong, but the reason people use it wrong is because of nonsense like that.

But shouldn't a dictionary that claims to be accurate include ALL common usages?

But shouldn't a dictionary that claims to be accurate include ALL common usages?

The fact that some media outlets are trying to conflate the two meanings does not make it a common usage. Assault weapon is a commonly used word that has the meaning they gave it when they made it up, assault rifle is a technical term and has it's own separate meaning.

The term assault rifle was coined originally by Adolf Hitler to describe the mp43 which he renamed the sturmgewehr 44 meaning assault rifle. So unless it's a Nazi select fire intermediate cartridge rifle it's not a assault rifle.

I'm sure Charlie will sign something tomorrow like the good little (D)oormat he really is that will make obtaining a stun gun no different than the unicorn never issued "permit to purchase" for handgun possession in the home without a LTC.

Yup, but unfortunately no one sells them in Mass. So just go to NH and buy one. If the police see you with it in Ma, just tell them that Clampett said it is OK.
Clampett's nephew has a table at the Maroboro gun shows (yes, really) selling holsters and SureFire stuff. Maybe I could interest him in Tasers.

Yup, but unfortunately no one sells them in Mass. So just go to NH and buy one. If the police see you with it in Ma, just tell them that Clampett said it is OK.

I was browsing online last night. While many haven't changed anything, a few web sites have removed MA from their list of states they won't ship to. I didn't actually try ordering anything though, so I don't know if it would have gone through.

So if I hurry up and acquire my stun gun before chuckiecheese signs in the peasant’s restrictions, is it grandfathered in as pre-ban?

;)

March 17 was when Webster decided to add that little part.

Back
Top Bottom