• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Shotgun Season 2009 - So how did we do?

spent monday and tuesday in the stand only saw squirrels.did shoot a 5 point this morning [smile]
erk

i sat from 1pm to dark same spot, those does weren't about to show up in this wind.. one more day off. any thoughts versus oak timber or field edges working better ?

After 3 days in the Berkshires I filled my zone 3 doe tag 10 minutes before the end of legal light the day I was leaving. She was a nice 100lb doe that dropped in her tracks at 78yards with 1 shot[smile]
Berkshiredoe.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing today. Tomorrow is looking like I'll only be able to put in 1/2 day...After that I'll have to wait until muzzleloader season starts before I get to go out again...

Still shooting bow this shotgun season as I need to buy a suitable slug gun. Anyway, took a shot at an 8 pointer I have been tracking for 3 weeks this afternoon and had a tiny unseen branch knock down the arrow at 30yds. Arrow landed at its feet with a little twig stuck in the expandable slot. Will go back in the AM.

'09 season

I only went out Monday so far, and we got drenched opening day over in zone 3. It was really disappointing since I'm in college and can't really get out much. I hope to get at least another 2 days in before its done.

And I think it's fitting that my first post here be about hunting.

I only went out Monday so far, and we got drenched opening day over in zone 3. It was really disappointing since I'm in college and can't really get out much. I hope to get at least another 2 days in before its done.

And I think it's fitting that my first post here be about hunting.

Welcome!

Where do you attend college?

I just graduated from Fitchburg State College in the spring, so I know what you mean when you say you can get out much for hunting or shooting.

Tell me about it. I'm just finishing up my last semester at Merrimack and I have never had to deal with/ hope to never have to deal with again; so many liberals in my life. It is ridiculous. However, I did just right a 10 pager for my law class on the second amendment, and I cant wait to present it. People aren't gonna know what to do. I know the teacher is gonna have a heart attack.
- keeping with the thread though, I am going back out early tomorrow morning. Ive gone out 3 times this week, all day hunts, and have not seen a thing. Heard a few shots and saw one coyote but couldn't get a shot at him. we need this snow to stick tomorrow so we can do some tracking and see where their all hidin.

Hunted all day Monday, dark to dark. Saw no deer, heard 5-6 shots, tripped and sprained my foot.

Hunted all day today. I figured being a Saturday the woods would be full of hunters and the deer would be moving, boy was I wrong. Saw no deer, heard no shots, saw one other hunter. At least I didn't sprain my other foot...

Anyone else notice how slow it was today?

Hunted all week sun up to sun down plus a half hour, a total of over 60 hours.

Jumped 3 total, all were hunkered down not moving. No good shots to take on them, it's the warmest week I have ever seen hunting.

Going to wait until muzzle loader season, hopefully it'll be cold and the deer will be moving.

As others have said, not much moving in the woods. I'm hoping the dropping temps this week will get them on their feet and into my sights!

As mentioned, I haven't been out this year. For those of you that have. . . With the weird weather we're having, have you seen signs of the Rut yet?

Yes, full on chase phase on November 10 or so. They were hooked up around the 16 or 17th and should be back into the chase this coming week for the un-bread does.

I had a buck chase a doe past my stand on the 12th. Things should heat up again this week.

I have clean scrapes under one of my stands. He is out there still looking for the does.

As mentioned, I haven't been out this year. For those of you that have. . . With the weird weather we're having, have you seen signs of the Rut yet?

I saw or had friends see chasing from the 5th thru the 10th and then it went dead for a week or so and saw chasing again on the 18th and 19th and had a small buck come in to scent at 10 am on the 21st. So that should frame prerut, lockdown and postrut for Nov pretty well.

I've got a whole lot of hours into my spot and the deer are there. They dont seem to be moving on their own and the only times ive seen/heard them is when I jump them. hopefully ill get a couple guys to go wed. so we have a better chance.

No luck here, ran into a moose in Oakham how ever. Prompted the purchase of a tree stand! Got my pheasants this year though!

When's moose season? I ran into another one yesterday. Jumped three deer but didn't get a look at them.

Last edited:
I didnt think Mass had a moose season? Do we? Im just getting into hunting for the first time since I was early teen. Been killing lots of paper targets since tho!

coyote1.jpg
[/IMG]

One less yote. My first one, had a beautiful coat on it. A couple turkey and maybe a deer will live to see another day.

Back
Top Bottom