MA: SEVEN ROUND MAG BAN! This is not a joke.

Patrick's proposed legislation is right out the New York playbook. It reads:

SECTION 6. Said section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out, in lines 57-62, the words “a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994.” and inserting in place thereof the following words:- containing more than seven rounds of ammunition; or (iii) obtained after the effective date of this act and capable of accepting, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than seven rounds of ammunition.

Link to whole proposal.
The effect of the Bill would be this:

1. You can still keep, but NOT TRANSFER 7-10 round mags.
2. All previous 10+ PreBan magazines illegal after one year.

It's spreading, and we need to shut this down. I can only hope that it's not voted on tomorrow a la New York. If you're like me, you're been watching, making some forum posts, maybe renewing your NRA membership. That's not enough anymore.

We can still stop this, but we need unified political opposition.

Find your legislators here and call them tomorrow, and tell them to oppose Patrick's bill. Call them even if you called them yesterday.

Then email them. Then call them again in a few days.

Last edited:
This is confriscation.

For years and years people have been coming on here and claiming that it will be "go time" when they come door to door and that they will do what the 2A intended for them to do, etc.

I have told everyone that they will do nothing but bitch about it online. I've said they were all full of it.

I am going to sit back and watch and wait and see if my theory is true. I believe it is.

I know this is getting discussed in a few other threads, but I thought it prudent to post it at the top level, because I know for a fact that some people aren't reading especially deeply into some of the others.

If we can't get out in front of this, we're screwed.

The rallying cry now shouldn't be "go time" to should be "politics time." We can stop this, if we stand up and shout loud enough.

I may be wrong, but this provision simply redefines what will be considered high capacity. So, if this mess passes into law, any mag or feeding device 7-10 rounds will be high capacity. Further on in the bill it bans, retroactively, the possession of mags/devices more than 10 rounds; gives one year to either sell or destroy all others.

Can't all guns be "converted" to hold more than 7? It is just a matter of inserting a longer magazine. Wouldn't this get rid of all guns that take magazines?

Where are the lawsuits for NY? This stuff should be teed up and now that it might come to MA there should be lawsuits ready to go to enjoin it.

If my reading is correct, this is WORSE than NY. It has no provision for grandfathering 10 round mags. So, this would mean you can't effectively use most semi auto pistols or rifles.

I'd have to reconcile this to the original bill to see what this means for firearms like 8 shot revolvers or tube fed .22s.

Wouldn't this be in violation of heller? Defacto ban on common use guns

"Send it" like chinalfr from my can attached to a string from another can in the lair of the dark lord kramdar.

I may be wrong, but this provision simply redefines what will be considered high capacity. So, if this mess passes into law, any mag or feeding device 7-10 rounds will be high capacity. Further on in the bill it bans, retroactively, the possession of mags/devices more than 10 rounds; gives one year to either sell or destroy all others.

I think this reading may be correct: with an LTC-A, 10 Round mags would still be OK this round. ALL pre-bans become a felony.

EDIT: 7-10 would be a Large Capacity Feeding Device, which is a felony. They probably meant for 7-10 to be OK with an LTC-A, but accidentally made it illegal. In effect, your 10+ mags are illegal in one year, but your 8, 9, 10 rounders are illegal as soon as it passes.

Last edited:
Well, I'm shocked.

I expected that MA would wait a few months to see what happened in NY before filing the exact same legislation.

Boy was I wrong. They waited 24 whole hours.

Well, the whole thing is in our hands right now. The nation is looking to us to see what we do.

Massachusetts...where the "shot heard 'round the world." The birthplace of liberty. The start of the American Revolution. What do we do now?

Wouldn't this be in violation of heller? Defacto ban on common use guns

"Send it" like chinalfr from my can attached to a string from another can in the lair of the dark lord kramdar.

This. Give and give large to orgs like Comm2A as they will be battling this crap for a LONG time!

Buy more than one gun in a month and you are ****ed:

Upon receipt of a record of a sale, rental or lease of a rifle, shotgun, firearm, machine gun, large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device from a licensee as required under section 123 or a person without a license under section 128A, the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services, or the commissioner’s agent, shall determine whether a person has purchased, rented or leased more than 1 rifle, shotgun, firearm, machine gun, large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device in any 30-day period in violation of this subsection. If a person has purchased, rented or leased in violation of this subsection, the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services, or the commissioner’s agent, shall forward any records demonstrating the relevant acquisition history to the colonel of the state police or the colonel’s agent, the prosecutor, and the chief of police in the city or town in which the person resides or where the second rifle, shotgun, firearm, machine gun, large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device was obtained in violation of this subsection.

A non-exempt person who purchases, rents or leases more than 1 rifle, shotgun, firearm, machine gun, large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device in any 30-day period shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by imprisonment for not more than 2 ½ years, or both, for a first offense; and for any subsequent offense shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $5,000, or by imprisonment for not more than 2 ½ years in a house of correction or not more than 5 years in the state prison, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Back
Top Bottom