• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA S&W M&P trigger pull

Can anyone tell me whether the 10lbs. trigger on the S&W M&P is as smooth as the standard 6.5lbs trigger? I am trying to decide whether to buy an M&P but have only fired one with the standard trigger recently and found it to be quite smooth compared to the Sigma and Glock.

And both my Wife and I commented on the M&P 9 trigger at the S&W Shooting Center. I'm sure it had a lot of rounds thru it and it was still a very nasty trigger!

They are great guns, just get thee to a good gunsmith and get a trigger job when you get it and you will have a real sweet gun.

I bought a used M&P 9c that had a Dave Santurri 4.5-5# trigger job. It started as a MA trigger and Dave swears that he didn't replace any parts. It's a great carry gun now.

Even the 48-state versions of the M&P are usually more than 10# out of the box . . . it takes 500+ rds thru them (or a trigger job) to get them to a reasonable trigger. I was joking with a S&W Customer Support Tech about this a few weeks ago and he admitted that they are rough out of the box.

And both my Wife and I commented on the M&P 9 trigger at the S&W Shooting Center. I'm sure it had a lot of rounds thru it and it was still a very nasty trigger!

They are great guns, just get thee to a good gunsmith and get a trigger job when you get it and you will have a real sweet gun.

I bought a used M&P 9c that had a Dave Santurri 4.5-5# trigger job. It started as a MA trigger and Dave swears that he didn't replace any parts. It's a great carry gun now.

Even the 48-state versions of the M&P are usually more than 10# out of the box . . . it takes 500+ rds thru them (or a trigger job) to get them to a reasonable trigger. I was joking with a S&W Customer Support Tech about this a few weeks ago and he admitted that they are rough out of the box.

+1

The MA trigger sucks out of the box. It DOES smooth out after a few hundred rounds but it's still very hard to shoot with any degree of accuracy due to the HUGE pull weight. OTOH, once you get the trigger 'done' it's a very reasonable gun to shoot with the typical striker-fired feel (i.e. Glock and XD - and I know the Glockaholics are going to flame me for this because 'nothing is like a Glock' [laugh])

IMO? The only real difference between the M&P w/o the MA trigger and the Glock is the Smith LOOKS better and is made in the US AND has a supported chamber so no KB's.

Its a great gun, but agreed the trigger is a bit rough. I bought one about a month ago, and recently did my own trigger job on it, if you arent looking to get crazy and modify even just a dremel and some metal polish and polish the contacting parts in the trigger makes it alot smoother. the rest of what i did was just shorten the reset.

buy it and shoot a good 500 rounds through it. you may be happy with it as is.

i had an M&P9c and I was fine with it... the trigger got better after a few hundred rounds.

i ended trading it with my brother for his M&P40 and this one is back at square one! i plan to have the trigger worked, but NOT for a while as I don't carry it. Plus, i want to put another 500 rounds through the pipe first!

.02 from me

Edit: if you plan of using it for CCW or Competition, you may want to get the trigger job sooner. however, if it's just a range toy (like mine) - i wouldn't have it on my priority list... but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a problem with a 10lbs. trigger as long as its smooth and consistant. I just don't want a Sigma trigger. I suppose I could always get the standard trigger for the M&P.

I don't have a problem with a 10lbs. trigger as long as its smooth and consistant. I just don't want a Sigma trigger. I suppose I could always get the standard trigger for the M&P.

sigma trigger is awsome[rolleyes]

[laugh]

FWIW: free staters get trigger jobs on their M&P's and SIGMA's as well. So don't feel too bad as a ma**h***.

I recall seeing another website about a simple trigger job on a SIGMA. It involved removing one of the two trigger springs... but I'm not sure which generation or models. The users claimed 100% satisfaction with that... no polishing, grinding, dremel involved... If I find it, I'll post it.

i did toy with the idea of the home-school trigger job, but it's not worth it (for me) as I don't carry mine...

Bottom Line:
the trigger will get better with rounds fired on the M&P...

happy shooting

sigma trigger is awsome[rolleyes]

[laugh]

FWIW: free staters get trigger jobs on their M&P's and SIGMA's as well. So don't feel too bad as a ma**h***.

I recall seeing another website about a simple trigger job on a SIGMA. It involved removing one of the two trigger springs... but I'm not sure which generation or models. The users claimed 100% satisfaction with that... no polishing, grinding, dremel involved... If I find it, I'll post it.

i did toy with the idea of the home-school trigger job, but it's not worth it (for me) as I don't carry mine...

Bottom Line:
the trigger will get better with rounds fired on the M&P...

happy shooting

I actually should update my profile...I just noticed that it still says I live in Massachusetts...I moved to Northern Virginia two months ago. The standard trigger is an option for me but for some reason I always seem to shoot more accurately with a heavy trigger pull, which is why I'm considering ordering an MA-spec model.

I actually should update my profile...I just noticed that it still says I live in Massachusetts...I moved to Northern Virginia two months ago. The standard trigger is an option for me but for some reason I always seem to shoot more accurately with a heavy trigger pull, which is why I'm considering ordering an MA-spec model.

[shocked]

ahh, the plot thickens...

not the first time I've heard this... but um, yeah... if you get a Glock, you can order the NY Trigger for it in 8 or 12# (i think). Or you can try and find or order a MA Neutred M&P with free state magazines....

i'd sell ya mine but i like it [rofl][rofl][rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
[shocked]

ahh, the plot thickens...

not the first time I've heard this... but um, yeah... if you get a Glock, you can order the NY Trigger for it in 8 or 12# (i think). Or you can try and find or order a MA Neutred M&P with free state magazines....

i'd sell ya mine but i like it [rofl][rofl][rofl]

I tried the Glocks and they just don't point naturally for me. And unfortunately if I get the 10lbs. trigger I have to get the 10 round magazines. However I can get two full capacity mags free via the S&W offer.

My M&P9 is under the care of Mr. Derr as of yesterday. I bought it for my wife and man....holy hell that trigger is awful! He let me dry-fire a model he had in the shop that had about a 4.5lb pull which was also very smooth. It was almost heavenly. Smooth take-up and then a nice quick, crisp, "glass rod" break, as they say. I basically said to please make it just like that one! I can't wait to try it out. Greg is one heck of a nice guy as well. Very pleasant and pleasurable.

The thing is I don't mind a heavy pull. Ideally I'd like the pull to be very smooth at about 7.5-8.5lbs. Not too heavy but not too light either.

Can anyone tell me whether the 10lbs. trigger on the S&W M&P is as smooth as the standard 6.5lbs trigger? I am trying to decide whether to buy an M&P but have only fired one with the standard trigger recently and found it to be quite smooth compared to the Sigma and Glock.

This forum has a really nifty feature called "search". If you used it with any combination of "M&P, trigger pull, trigger, etc" you would have spared us from reviving this dead horse in order to beat it to death again.

This forum has a really nifty feature called "search". If you used it with any combination of "M&P, trigger pull, trigger, etc" you would have spared us from reviving this dead horse in order to beat it to death again.

I actually did search, and most of what I found read something like this: "the trigger sucks, get a trigger job". However, I'm in a slightly different situation because I can buy one with the standard trigger from the factory legally and wouldn't necessarily need to get a trigger job. My question wasn't really "does the MA trigger suck?" so much as "is it acceptably smooth from the factory/does it get better with dry firing?".

However, I'm in a slightly different situation because I can buy one with the standard trigger from the factory legally and wouldn't necessarily need to get a trigger job. My question wasn't really "does the MA trigger suck?" so much as "is it acceptably smooth from the factory/does it get better with dry firing?".

Well, in that case the answer is NO! My "standard trigger" M&P 45 out of the box was a measured 11#. 700 rds later it was 8#. I discussed this with one of S&W CS Technicians and he confirmed that this is true . . . it's rare to get a smooth S&W (anything) out of the box these days. Break-in does matter. I thought that I answered this question once or twice already here before, but hope that it truly answers your question.

Get the standard product, break it in, then decide yes/no on a trigger job. That's my recommendation.

Can anyone give me a comparison between pull of the MA trigger and the standard one? If the MA trigger is in all respects identical except for the pull being a few pounds heavier then it's exactly what I want. I tried a standard model again today at a gun store and the trigger just felt slightly too light. I like the take-up on the standard trigger, it's just that at the break point it feels too light. A short, relatively heavy trigger pull is what I'm looking for as opposed to the long heavy DA pull as found on many TDA pistols.

Can anyone give me a comparison between pull of the MA trigger and the standard one? If the MA trigger is in all respects identical except for the pull being a few pounds heavier then it's exactly what I want. I tried a standard model again today at a gun store and the trigger just felt slightly too light. I like the take-up on the standard trigger, it's just that at the break point it feels too light. A short, relatively heavy trigger pull is what I'm looking for as opposed to the long heavy DA pull as found on many TDA pistols.

just a thought:

maybe a gun smith can "smooth" a neutred MA or CA gun for you...

it's a long shot... but just like those Glock NY Triggers, anything is possible

Hey MattB

Buy a non-MA model and swap your sear housing block with me. Youll get my heavy MA trigger pull which is what you want, and I can have the non-MA pull. Everybody is happy [smile]

No, mine's an MA block. I want his. Even though mine already has a Burwell job on it.

If I do decide to get the standard version and find it to be way too light (some of them reportedly are about 8lbs. even with the standard trigger which would be exactly what I want) I'd seriously consider the swap. Do you really have to change the whole block though? I was under the impression it's just a spring change.

On a related note, can anyone give me a comparison between the M&P 10lbs. trigger and the Sigma trigger? I'm wondering now if I shouldn't just save about $150 and buy a Sigma for $330 or so. I don't have a problem with the weight of the pull on the Sigma but it seems a little too long and isn't nearly as crisp as the standard weight M&P (unsurprisingly). What I would like to know is if the 10lbs. M&P trigger is more like the Sigma's trigger or more like the standard trigger.

Back
Top Bottom