• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA resident without LTC in a Competition

FancyGunz

NES Member
Can a Massachusetts resident, who does not have an LTC, shoot in a pistol competition in MA (or RI) by borrowing my pistol? I will be present also.

Yes. A MA resident can do whatever they want in another state as long as they follow that states laws. Here in MA, if a person with an LTC supervises someone else shooting, that is perfectly OK. Just - you actually have to be supervising. Also, I think there may be an exception specifically for while at the range, but I don't remember.e

Yes. A MA resident can do whatever they want in another state as long as they follow that states laws. Here in MA, if a person with an LTC supervises someone else shooting, that is perfectly OK. Just - you actually have to be supervising. Also, I think there may be an exception specifically for while at the range, but I don't remember.e

Thanks. I knew there was something about direct supervision, I am just not sure what that means (how closely can you "supervise" someone competing, anyway!).

RI has something about being OK on shooting ranges, but again, I think it says something about needing an out of state license.

Here in RI, no LTC needed to purchase a pistol, your gtg if you legally can obtain it in your home state.

Yeah, but can someone who can't get it in their own state (no LTC) use it under my supervision at a competition?

I don't think you even need to supervise, because RI doesn't have any permit to possess, they just have permits to purchase.

And a separate permit to carry, but "carry" in a more plain English, than MA, sense of the word.

Back
Top Bottom