MA Resident with LTC-A, what do I need to go to RI Ranges

Hi All

As stated above I have my MA LTC-A No restrictions, I was wondering what would I need to get from RI to go shooting in RI Ranges? I've read that OOS CCW are nearly a myth, so, is there a NON-resident FID Blue Card or something?

I don't think you need anything but your guns. Keep the ammo and guns separate and you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure your going to the range and back. Where are you planning on going?

As stated, you don't need anything but your guns!

In Rhode Island, you can possess a firearm as long as you are of legal age. There is no permit, not FID to own a gun. However, if you wish to buy a handgun, you need a blue card. But you do not need the card to possess the firearm or shoot it, just for the transfer.

Obviously, if you are carrying concealed, you'll need a permit for that...

I don't think you need anything but your guns. Keep the ammo and guns separate and you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure your going to the range and back. Where are you planning on going?

Does this mean you can only bring your guns to RI if you are going to a range? ie. What if you plan on spending the night there? Not talking about carrying. Just transportation and possession in the home.

Last edited:
See RIGL 11-47-8

To go to a BONA FIDE target range, all you need is a secure case. As far as detaining yourself, I don't believe you would get hassled. However the only exemptions to transporting handguns without a carry permit are: to and from

a bona fide target range
your residence
your place of business

long guns only have the stipulation that they must be unloaded for transport.

However the only exemptions to transporting handguns without a carry permit are: to and from

There is also an exemption for persons with a carry license from another state traveling through without the intent to detain themselves or remain within RI.

Thanks. What qualifies as my "residence"? Ie I will be sleeping there, I have a key for the place but my name isn't on the deed (say like a relatives place).

I was at bullseyes in warwick and the guys there said that it is almost impossible to get a carry permit in RI unless you live in a bad neighborhood. doesn't make sense.

Bullseye? That's in Woonsocket. If that's where you were, Paul has no idea what he's talking about. In fact, the opposite is true for the most part. I have a permit, and I live in a decent area. The AG issues to whom he chooses. It is not impossible to get a permit from the AG, you just need good writing skills and be prepaired to present that in person. On another note, Rhode Island is a SHALL ISSUE STATE!!
If your police chief won't issue, sue them!!!

Thanks. What qualifies as my "residence"? Ie I will be sleeping there, I have a key for the place but my name isn't on the deed (say like a relatives place).

That is a question that only someone really well versed in RI law can answer.

I know, after researching the Ohio revised code, that one is legally allowed to possess firearms (including concealed carry w/o a license) for any reason at all in one's place of a abode. Place of abode means here any physical location, permanent or temporary, designed for human habitation in which you are staying or sheltering regardless of who owns it or how long you stay there.

So in OH your place of abode is a camper in a campground, a tent, a hotel room, your home, etc. Ohio law is mute on prohibiting concealed carry in someone else's home without their expressed permission, so that too could be considered your place of abode if you are invited to stay there.

Back
Top Bottom