MA resident w/CT out of state LTC renewal late

I'm a Massachusetts resident who has had my out of state CT Class "0" -"State Permit to Carry Pistols & Revolvers" since '14. I procrastinated on the renewal, but did get it out in the mail one day before it expired. Obviously, it will be a few days late in them receiving it. I know on my Utah out of state license, they have a 30 day grace period from the "expiration" date. Does CT have anything like that or are they totally hard pressed on the "expiration" date. I am in CT occasionally and would not carry with an expired license. I can stay out of the state while waiting, that part is not a big deal. I'd just hate to go through the whole process over again.

NES opinions please. I can already feel the flames and arrows (which is fine, my skin is thick), but I really would like an opinion or facts shared.

Thanks,

Jay

I don't know but suggest that you go to CT gun laws online and see what it tells you. Law is a lot better than "NES opinions".

Oh I did look at the CT gun laws. While I did find that there is a 90 day prior and 90 day after expiration grace period from the expiration date, this appears to reference CT residents. It does not mention the same consideration for an out of state resident. That is why I asked for an opinion. I was more curious than anything else. There was/is no action planned on my part from someones opinion. I also thought I can't be the only one that renews out of state licenses late. Either way, I guess my "procrastination" bit me in the buttock. [wink]

The renewal form, notarized, copy of proof of residency, recent passport photo, self addressed stamped envelope and of course the necessary "brown paper bag" of cash is already on it's way.

Jay

Update: Received my renewed out of state CT Class "0" -"State Permit to Carry Pistols & Revolvers" permit today in the mail. The letter was dated September 20th, so total turn around time is four days. Say what you want about CT, but damn, that is pretty efficient.

Really started this thread and update in case someone else searches for something along these lines in the future. I also like to hear myself talk, but that is another story...[laugh]

Jay

In the alternative, you can drive down to DPS HQ in Middletown and have the whole thing done while you wait. Stop at Rheins in Vernon on the way back for lunch.

Thanks RKG, I must have read the document they sent me wrong as I understood that out of state could only be renewed via mail. Didn't make much sense to me at the time. Just like the "90 day prior and 90 day after expiration grace" only stated for actual people who reside in CT. Oh well, no harm, no foul. I'll just stop procrastinating when I get the renewal form.

thanks again,

Jay

Thanks RKG, I must have read the document they sent me wrong as I understood that out of state could only be renewed via mail. Didn't make much sense to me at the time. Just like the "90 day prior and 90 day after expiration grace" only stated for actual people who reside in CT. Oh well, no harm, no foul. I'll just stop procrastinating when I get the renewal form.

thanks again,

Jay

The DPS web site advises that there are also three "outposts" one can use for in person renewals. These are colocated at CT SP stations, though not manned by troopers. However, these "outposts" are sometimes subject to unannounced closures not detectible from the web site, so use the Middletown HQ.

Easy drive from around here. HQ is real close to an exit off Route 91. Nice new building, with friendly, helpful staff -- and a huge parking lot.. Leave your pistol in the trunk (and don't forget such other stuff as a pocket knife, as I did). When I did it back in July, I was out of there in 20-25 minutes, including waiting for the new card to be printed and laminated. Personal checks are accepted for the fees.

You should receive an already filled out form from DPS about 90 days before current expiration. Look to see if "Verified" appears next to your address. If so, you won't need passport or other proof of legal residence. If not there, be sure to bring passport and recent real estate tax bill.

My recommendation is to arrive at HQ mid to late morning. You should be back on the road before noon, and, as previously noted, Rheins is about 20-25 minutes away for lunch, just off Route 84 on the way home.

You should receive an already filled out form from DPS about 90 days before current expiration. Look to see if "Verified" appears next to your address. If so, you won't need passport or other proof of legal residence. If not there, be sure to bring passport and recent real estate tax bill....

Thanks again RKG. My form did not say "Verified", so I just went to my bank and had a notary Notarize the form. Question, on my next renewal five years from now, will I now be "Verified" because of the Notarized renewal form they just used?

Either way, I won't procrastinate next time like I did this time.

And again, CT really turned it around very rapidly. I was very impressed with this government department.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom