• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ma resident trying to obtain from out of state... HELP

Hi Guys/Gals..

I live here in MA and my grandfather lives in Florida and sadly to say, his life is running short. He is giving me his new Smith & Wesson 357 .38 Special 4" and we are trying to figure out what is the best way to do a transfer since I'm here and he is down there.??!??

Does he go to a dealer down there and have it shipped to a dealer up here. There is no $$ involved. It's being given to me.

Any suggestions or answers
Thanks

Jason

he will have to pay a fee to the dealer down there and to send it and you will pay a fee up here at the dealers. not big maybe $25 or so.

and you should move this to the General Discussion fyi.

Last edited:
Simplest way is have him leave to you specifically in his will. When you go down for the funeral, you can pick it up without use of an FFL intermediary (this is that rare case where non-dealers can do interstate transfers without use of an FFL) and file an FA10 when you return to MA. Alternatively, you can do the FFL to FFL transfer - you need to get a signed copy of the FFL from the receiving dealer (some will give it to you; others will only send the FFL to another FFL).

Simplest way is have him leave to you specifically in his will. When you go down for the funeral, you can pick it up without use of an FFL intermediary (this is that rare case where non-dealers can do interstate transfers without use of an FFL) and file an FA10 when you return to MA. Alternatively, you can do the FFL to FFL transfer - you need to get a signed copy of the FFL from the receiving dealer (some will give it to you; others will only send the FFL to another FFL).

Good advice...there are some threads on this exact topic, for example: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/5804-MA-Gun-Laws-(Fed-amp-MA)-and-Inheritance

Guys... why are you doubling Grandpa's expenses? Grandpa can SHIP IT TO A LOCAL FFL by himself. There is NO NEED for him to pay a Florida FFL to ship it. Jason just needs to make sure that A) it's on MA's EOPS list (which it most likely is, being a new S&W - but note that some S&W's aren't on the list - the Model 19 for example - DAMHIK [rolleyes]) and B) that he finds a local FFL who understands federal law and is willing to receive the gun directly from Grandpa.

BTW, Jason - I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather is in poor health. I hope you get a chance to go down there and see him while you can!!

The problem with Grandpa sending it direct to a FFL is some FFL's won't take in a gun from a private party from out of state, and the restrictions on a private party shipping a handgun across a state line, meaning having to use a common carrier, and jumping through their hoops to do it. If Grandpa is old and in poor health, the last thing he wants to be doing is driving to a UPS depot, filling out the forms, paying for overnight service, etc, when he could find a local FFL who can ship it USPS to another FFL with little or no hassle.

Yes Gramps can do it himself, but it may be too much of a hassle for him.

Back
Top Bottom