• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma. resident trade in hangun at NH dealer?

Can I trade in a hangun to a nh dealer, what is the procedure? Want to trade towards new long gun.
Thanks
First, I assume that you have a MA LTC-A or LTC-B.

That is two transactions. You are selling the handgun to a NH FFL. That is legal. You are buying a long gun from an out of state FFL. That is also legal. You will need to file a Form FA-10 with MA within 7 days of the purchase of the rifle. You can get the form from your local police department.

Depending on the handgun, you may do better by selling it in Ma. And then just purchase the Long Gun from the NH dealer. Some handguns are more Valuable to Ma. Buyers than to NH buyers. Just a friendly thought..

A receipt from the FFL for the gun you are trading or selling is always a nice thing to have, regardless if the sale is in MA or NH. I take those receipts and staple them to the original FA-10's to complete the paper trail.

if it is a gun that is no longer available from a MA FFL, do the MA members a favor and post it here for sale, to keep it in the state. Once it leaves it isn't going to come back.

Otherwise you can bring it to NH (unloaded not concealed while transporting unless you have a NH non resident permit CCW) and trade it in on the long arm of your choice, filing a FA-10 when you get home so they'll know where to find it when the confiscation happens.

P.S. make sure the NH purchase meets MA requirements for long arms... no folding stocks, no bayonet mounts....

if it is a gun that is no longer available from a MA FFL, do the MA members a favor and post it here for sale, to keep it in the state. Once it leaves it isn't going to come back.

Quite true. [frown] Keep the off-list guns in state please.

Back
Top Bottom