• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA resident selling ammo to CT resident

Interesting question.

Are non-residents prohibited in anyway from possessing Ammo in CT?
Does the law requiring a CT Permit for ammo apply only to dealers? What about two CT residents?

Interesting question.

Are non-residents prohibited in anyway from possessing Ammo in CT?
Does the law requiring a CT Permit for ammo apply only to dealers? What about two CT residents?

My mistake for not explaining better. The CT permit holder will come to MA to purchase the ammo. I'm not going into CT with ammo to sell.

My mistake for not explaining better. The CT permit holder will come to MA to purchase the ammo. I'm not going into CT with ammo to sell.

Without a Non-Resident MA Permit, they would be illegally in possession of ammunition in the Commonwealth, swat teams, atf, mraps, and such would descend on you immediately.

You might actually be safer going to CT. :\

Unless the CT person has a non-res LTC they are not allowed to be in possession of ammo in MA.

Edit...noxin beat me to it.

So if im going to a match in mass from ct am i breaking a law by hauling ammo to the match?

Sent using my NSA phone

There may be an exception if you are going to a competition, I don't recall if there's that provision in the law. I didn't mention it previously, because that wasn't the question posed.

Without a Non-Resident MA Permit, they would be illegally in possession of ammunition in the Commonwealth, swat teams, atf, mraps, and such would descend on you immediately.

You might actually be safer going to CT. :\

Well, are you saying I would not be breaking a law selling the ammo to the CT permit holder, but the CT permit holder would be breaking the law as soon I hand it to them?

If that is accurate, even though I possibly won't get into hot water, I would not put the other person in jeopardy.

Well, are you saying I would not be breaking a law selling the ammo to the CT permit holder, but the CT permit holder would be breaking the law as soon I hand it to them?

If that is accurate, even though I possibly won't get into hot water, I would not put the other person in jeopardy.

That is my understanding of the law and the situation you provided. I am sure if I am mistaken, someone will correct me.

There may be an exception if you are going to a competition, I don't recall if there's that provision in the law. I didn't mention it previously, because that wasn't the question posed.

No valid exception exists. I've explained that here at least a dozen times, so the OPP can if interested do some searching for the full explanation.

No valid exception exists. I've explained that here at least a dozen times, so the OPP can if interested do some searching for the full explanation.

Good point on an out of state person bring ammo into MA. I'm more curious about the legality of a Massachusetts person (with LTC) selling ammo to a Connecticut person (with CT permit) with the exchange happening inside MA.?? It seems the CT person should not posses the ammo within Massachusetts if they only have their CT permit, but what, if any, would be the ramifications to the Massachusetts person selling the ammo?

I did search, but my "search kung-fu" is not up to par today.....

Just keep this in mind...

Whoever not being licensed, as hereinbefore provided, sells ammunition within the commonwealth shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years

Link the law:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section122B

Maybe just "give" the ammo to this guy coming from CT just to cover your own ass.

The other person would not have been in jeopardy if you had not posted the question on an internet forum.

Back
Top Bottom