MA resident purchasing long gun out of state

How about a handgun that might not be on either approved handgun lists?
assuming i'm not getting hi-cap

Under what context? Obviously you can't do this without violating federal law, unless you are a dealer, you already own the gun in the other state, or you are doing an inbound transfer through an MA FFL (which is rare/not likely if it isn't compliant. )

If you already own the handgun and its located in another state, then you just bring it in and FA-10 it.

There is also residency hopping, which would be the same thing, FA-10 it when you bring it in. I'm not going to get into the legal nuances of that though, as that has already been beaten to death here.

-Mike

dnepro-mike said:
How about a handgun that might not be on either approved handgun lists?
assuming i'm not getting hi-cap

No. A handgun purchase must go through a MA dealer or be from a MA resident

Last edited:
you can buy long gun across state lines but not a handgun? is that what you are saying? just so we clear

Yes, that's federal law. If you buy a handgun in another state that you are not a resident in, it must be transferred into your state of residency before you can take legal ownership of it. (eg, possession).

-Mike

would be so much easier if we all had to care about only one single set of rules/laws.
I'm getting confused once in a while and have to ask.
thank you for your patience and help

I have a similar question to the original poster, except my question involves long guns that I don't know would be on any Massachusetts approved list. (I know the lists apply to handguns, but don't know if they to rifles and shotguns.)

I know a guy who knows a guy who recently acquired some old long guns that were in his family. (It wasn't an inheritance or death in the family... he just "acquired" them.) One is an old Remington Model 11 Shotgun (Browning Patent model), an Itaca 20 gauge from the 80's, and a REALLY old .22 rifle that belonged to his grandmother. To be on the safe side, should he report this as a "registration" on the stupid E-FA10 thing? None of these guns are hi capacity, and none of them have "evil black" features.

I have a similar question to the original poster, except my question involves long guns that I don't know would be on any Massachusetts approved list. (I know the lists apply to handguns, but don't know if they to rifles and shotguns.)

I know a guy who knows a guy who recently acquired some old long guns that were in his family. (It wasn't an inheritance or death in the family... he just "acquired" them.) One is an old Remington Model 11 Shotgun (Browning Patent model), an Itaca 20 gauge from the 80's, and a REALLY old .22 rifle that belonged to his grandmother. To be on the safe side, should he report this as a "registration" on the stupid E-FA10 thing? None of these guns are hi capacity, and none of them have "evil black" features.

He has 7 days after they arrive in Mass. to register them.

He has 7 days after they arrive in Mass. to register them.

If I'm reading correctly, he can buy long guns from out of state "only if they're purchased from an out-of-state dealer", not a private individual. GOAL summary of that requirement here. Is that correct? Let's just say that hypothetically they didn't go through a dealer, what should this guy do? Continue with the E-FA-10 anyway? Does the dealer info have to be entered into the E-FA-10?

dave, you read it correctly. In your hypothetical question he hypothetically committed a number of Federal Felonies equal to the hypothetical number of long guns involved.

ETA: It really pays to learn the appropriate Fed and (states that are involved) real gun laws wrt transfers before doing any hypothetical transactions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom