MA Resident? Please join GOAL!

Mike S

NES Member
LOGOCOLORPlain.gif

About GOAL
Join GOAL!

Gun Owners' Action League is the official state firearms association in Massachusetts. We are an association of law-abiding citizens who believe in the basic right of firearms ownership for competition, recreation and self-protection.

GOAL works hard to defend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights against those in Massachusetts who wish to infringe upon the freedoms guaranteed by our forefathers. The programs sponsored and developed by Gun Owners' Action League are supported by competitors, sportsmen, recreational shooters and law enforcement throughout the state.

We were formed in 1974 to protect the right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. We are recognized as the state's premier gun rights association.

Why You Should Join GOAL

Every intrusion on our gun rights is an intrusion on all rights. The Constitutional rights and freedoms that you enjoy - an may take for granted - are becoming more fragile each day. Secure your rights for yourself, your family and future generations. Join GOAL and become part of the solution today.

What Does GOAL Do?

Gun Owners' Action League is a grassroots organization whose members actively participate in the many facets of protecting our Second Amendment rights and passing on the shooting sports traditions.

No one has any reason to fear the possession of firearms by law-abiding citizens. GOAL publishes materials to bring the truth about gun ownership to the public, the legislature and our members. We also promote public education and junior shooting opportunities through our 501(c)3 sister organization, The GOAL Foundation.

Our GOAL is Education

We believe that safe firearms handling lessons serve as a core element of preserving the public safety. Our staff provides quality training for individuals interested in the proper use, handing and safe storage of firearms. Through The GOAL Foundation, we provide courses to new shooters, as well as certification training for those wishing to become firearms instructors. We also provide referrals to instructors around the state.

Youth Education

GOAL firmly believes that the future of our nation depends on our youth. If we don't want our children to think of guns as toys, or worse yet, as a way to solve arguments, we must education them. Therefore, we promote the National Rifle Association's award-winning Eddie Eagle® GunSafe program, which teaches children and important safety message.

Our members and activists have been successful at getting the program into elementary schools across the state to teach the life saving message to young children. If they find a gun, "STOP! Don't Touch! Leave the area. Tell an adult."
For older youth, GOAL offers firearms training through its many club affiliates across the state. Junior rifle, pistol and shotgun programs teach young people firearms safety, discipline and responsibility.

GOAL staff members have traveled to schools to speak teach student not only about firearms safety, but also about the rights and responsibilities of firearms ownership.

Gun Owners' Action League is also the primary sponsor of the Massachusetts Junior Conservation Camp. Annually, more than 100 teens attend the camp and learn important life long lessons about wildlife, hunter safety, firearm safety and the importance of conservation in our communities.

Gun Owner Education

Due to the overwhelming number of local, state and federal firearms laws, GOAL is a highly respected source of information for the state's licensed gun owners. Our popular Massachusetts Firearms Law book is currently in its eighteenth printing.

We have researched and created fact sheets on subjects ranging from the licensing structure of Massachusetts gun laws to the transportation and storage requirements for gun owners in the Commonwealth.

Our monthly newspaper, The Outdoor Message, informs current members of pending legislation on both the state and national levels.

Through The GOAL Foundation, we have debuted several courses for current gun owners and sportsmen and women on intermediate topics or introductions to new shooting sports and disciplines. For the full range of these seminars, check out the training and education schedule.

Voter Education

GOAL members often take an active interest in the legislative and political processes. We provide our members with information on candidates for office and their views on firearms related policies. As a public service, we also offer candidates the opportunity to make a statement to our members through The Outdoor Message.

Public Education
In addition to the wealth of information we provide through our website and other means of communication, we often sponsor public outreach and education events such as the Women on Target® program and Firearm Safety and Education Days.

GOAL also maintains a library of books, pamphlets and fact sheets concerning firearms issues and history. A collection of information videos is available for loan to civic groups and clubs.

The staff of Gun Owners' Action League is ready to address Rotary, Kiwanis, and Lions Clubs, as well as Chambers of Commerce, veterans' groups, scout troops, schools and sportsmen's clubs on all aspects of sportsmen's and firearms related issues.

Legislative Action

GOAL employs a register lobbyist who maintains a close watch on firearms and sporting related legislation pending before the Massachusetts General Court. GOAL offers testimony at public hearings and communicates our position in writing to the members of the legislature. GOAL sponsors bills each legislative session to make necessary improvements to our state's firearms laws.

Recognizing that the GOAL staff cannot make changes to the laws by themselves, however, we work closely with our members to see that they take an active part in the legislative process. We keep in constant communication with our members through our monthly newspaper, website, email alerts and by calling the Sportsmen's Legislative Hotline (800) 338-6999.

Grassroots Efforts

GOAL encourages its members to take an active interest in the legislative process. We work with affiliated clubs through our Club Representative program. We also organize members in various grassroots campaigns for legislative reform with themes such as letter writing, phone calls and legislative contact in the community.

Legal Action

At our office, GOAL maintains a list of qualified attorneys who provide legal advice on matters affecting the law-abiding gun owner. Although we offer referrals at no charge, the high cost of court appearances means GOAL cannot generally afford to provide legal assistance to individual members.

Public Information

GOAL provides instruction on the safe handling of firearms to legislators, assistant district attorneys, members of the media and administration officials. We also present research and written material to the general public on all aspects of the right to keep and bear arms.

Gun Owners' Action League publishes a monthly newspaper, The Outdoor Message, with political, legislative, sporting and commercial information from all over New England. The Outdoor Message's Sportsman's Calendar carries all the news and information about competitions, sporting events, shows and courses in all regions of the state.

How is GOAL Organized?

The day-to-day operation of GOAL's programs and activities are carried out by a small full-time staff. The Executive Director supervises the many legal, clerical, fundraising, publication and legislative activities of the organization. The policy and direction of GOAL is established by the member elected Board of Directors, all of whom serve without pay.

The GOAL headquarters are centrally located in Massachusetts, right off Route 20 in Northboro, just 3.5 miles west of I-495. The offices are open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. GOAL has a full-time staff and an answering machine for after hours. You can reach GOAL by email, fax, phone or traditional mail.

Directions to the GOAL Headquarters

Gun Owners' Action League
361 W. Main Street
PO Box 567
Northboro, MA 01532
Phone: (508) 393-5333
Fax: (508) 393-5222

Last edited:
I'm moving to Mass from GA. In GA we have a very active and successful gun right organization. I've been looking over the various GOAL web ages for information and can't find much. Most of what I see seems to be about sporting/hunting use of firearms.
My interest is in self defense - so I guess my question is this; what are the aims of the organization and what are the short term (1-2 years) goals of GOAL?

Hi Politeness Man.

GOAL is currently working very hard to reform the current MA Gun Laws. In addition to this we are also hard at work ensuring that bills like Governor Deval Patrick's "One Gun a Month" bill do not pass.

We, with the help of our members, many of which are on this forum, were successful in helping block this legislation from becoming law just this past summer. (thanks NES!)

We are a presence at the State House and are always looking out, and ensuring that the Civil Rights of all MA citizens continues to be protected.

You mention an interest in self defense, we offer many self defense classes at our HQ through our education division TheGOALFoundation.org. Please check our schedule of classes, we will have the 2011 schedule up soon.

Once you get up here, please feel free to stop by the office anytime.

Best,

Also, if you want a good bit on what one of the MA legislators thinks of us, check out this video from our banquet this summer of Jeff Perry who is currently a candidate for U.S. Congress in the MA 10th district.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing some reading (can't seem to sleep tonight) and one thing is raising a huge red flag with me.
GOAL seems to be very active in offering training courses, and training is a part of the requirements for getting a license issued. Where do you guys stand on eliminating the training requirement as a path to eliminating the license or permit?

It seems like you have a vested interest in keeping the training requirement (as you offer the training). I consider training nothing more than a tax or barrier to exercising my right. Don't get me wrong here - I am in favor of training and I train myself when I can, I'm just not a fan of mandatory training in order to exercise a right.

I've been doing some reading (can't seem to sleep tonight) and one thing is raising a huge red flag with me.
GOAL seems to be very active in offering training courses, and training is a part of the requirements for getting a license issued. Where do you guys stand on eliminating the training requirement as a path to eliminating the license or permit?

It seems like you have a vested interest in keeping the training requirement (as you offer the training). I consider training nothing more than a tax or barrier to exercising my right. Don't get me wrong here - I am in favor of training and I train myself when I can, I'm just not a fan of mandatory training in order to exercise a right.
GOAL has been and will be very active in pushing for legislation to fix MA gun laws to be in line with the Constitution...

As with saw with GOAL's 2259, pushing legislation through our lunatic collection of elected representatives is is extremely difficult and will remain as such, but your assumptions, while understandable, are mistaken.

GOAL has been pushing for profound reforms including making MA a "shall issue" state.

There are those Fudds in MA (even on NES) who don't understand that mandatory training is just another avenue for selective denial and discrimination, but GOAL is not among them. They are and will remain strong advocates for training and public safety, but I can assure you, they are not looking to legislate themselves a side-business at the expense of MA gun owners...

Last edited:
I will add to cekim's statement that it is highly unlikely SCOTUS will call a 4 hour training requirement as burdensome. Maybe >5-8 hour ones they will, but not a 4 hr course. It is also highly unlikely this state will give up on that.

My interest is in self defense - so I guess my question is this; what are the aims of the organization and what are the short term (1-2 years) goals of GOAL?
GOAL has been working very hard trying to defend our gun rights. They will continue to do so. It is an uphill battle.

This coming January, when the next MA legislative session, GOAL will sponsor a number of bills to reform MA gun laws, as they do every session. And as happens every session, it will be an uphill battle to get any of them passed.

This past session, Gov. Patrick introduced legislation that would limit gun purchases to one a month, ban private sales between licensed individuals, etc. It was a really bad law, and Patrick was twisting arms hard to get it passed. Without the heroic efforts of GOAL and the many letters, phone calls, and e-mails from gun owners across the state (and many folks here on NES), that law would have passed.

Right now, Gov. Patrick is ahead in the polls. The majority of the MA legislature is anti-gun. Realistically, it is unlikely that we can get major gun law reform passed in the near future. If you are hoping that GOAL (or anyone) can tell you that "it will all be better in a year or two" then you simply don't understand politics in MA.

Take another example of the hunting courses. As if the EPO's having a huge slush fund of laws to beat people over the head with isn't enough to dissuade hunting here in MA, there are always waiting lists and greater demand than supply for hunter safety courses. Those courses are free and run by the state nominally, though the courses are given by volunteers.

Contrast the above with the situation of GOAL, MASS Firearms School and all of the FFL businesses out there in the commonwealth. There is always a course available for your schedule (MFS gets mad props on this point) and they are always there to help you become a gun owner. If anyone has to give these courses, I really want it to be our allies and not the state.

Back
Top Bottom