MA Resident heading to RI range. Is this legal?

So it looks like under RIGL section 11-47-10 there is no permit required to meet my folks at their gun club in RI with my pistol. I have a MA LTC and would be transporting my weapon unloaded, and in a locked container in the trunk of my car. Are there any other legal pitfalls I should be aware of? Is there any way this section *wouldn't* apply to me?

Corollary question: What if I head to their house during this trip? They have RI permitting, as well as their own firearms. They're also new to this, and are wary of crossing any lines (as am I), and are under the impression that I shouldn't be coming to the state at all with my gun.

I just worry that if I get sideswiped on my way to/from the state, I'm gonna get hit with more than a truck.

TIA!

So it looks like under RIGL section 11-47-10 there is no permit required to meet my folks at their gun club in RI with my pistol. I have a MA LTC and would be transporting my weapon unloaded, and in a locked container in the trunk of my car. Are there any other legal pitfalls I should be aware of? Is there any way this section *wouldn't* apply to me?

Corollary question: What if I head to their house during this trip? They have RI permitting, as well as their own firearms. They're also new to this, and are wary of crossing any lines (as am I), and are under the impression that I shouldn't be coming to the state at all with my gun.

I just worry that if I get sideswiped on my way to/from the state, I'm gonna get hit with more than a truck.

TIA!
Yes, you can transport in RI directly to a bona fide range under the conditions you mentioned. The case does not have to be locked, but it's OK if it is. Here's the requirement:
pistols or revolvers are unloaded and secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose.

No, you cannot stop at their house. There's no provision for that in the transport laws.

Back
Top Bottom