• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ma resident driving into ct

Me being a mass resident with a valid LTC. Can i drive into CT with my firearms secured in my vehicle to shoot on a friends private land?

CT doesn't recognize any other state's permits.
Yeah, we suck.

If it's an unloaded, locked cased rifle or shotgun I believe you're legal -- *AS LONG AS IT'S NOT AN "ASSAULT WEAPON"*
**** Very, very, very important to realize that CT has different laws than Mass regarding those evil weapons ****

If it's a handgun FOPA doesn't apply because CT is your destination.
The exception traveling into CT without a permit with a handgun seems to be for "organized events", and I don't think a friend's land qualifies.

And just as DavidC77 said, I'll point you to to SLFU, jud.ct.gov for "official answers", the above are my understandings and might be incorrect...

Hope this helps:

This section contains laws concerning general transportation of a firearm, such as in a vehicle. They are laws that would apply if you do not have a ccw permit recognized by this state.

CAUTION:*Very strict state laws concerning transportation of unloaded firearms. You should understand all local laws directly from the State before transporting a firearm, especially a handgun, in this state. They also disallow magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds (with limited exception) per*2013 Bill 1160

Sec. 29-38.*Weapons in vehicles.*
(a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person, any weapon, any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 or any machine gun which has not been registered as required by section 53-202, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both, and the presence of any such weapon, pistol or revolver, or machine gun in any vehicle shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the owner, operator and each occupant thereof. The word "weapon", as used in this section, means any BB. gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, any police baton or nightstick, any dirk knife or switch knife, any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, any stiletto, any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.

Sec. 29-38d.
Interstate transportation of firearms through state.*
(a) The provisions of sections 29-35 and 29-38 shall not apply to the interstate transportation of firearms through this state in accordance with 18 USC 926A and 927, as amended from time to time, by any person who is not otherwise prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing a firearm. Such person may transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm through this state to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm provided such transportation is in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.*
(b) During the transportation of a firearm through this state as authorized in subsection (a) of this section, such firearm shall be unloaded and neither such firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such firearm shall be unloaded and such firearm and any ammunition being transported shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

im more confused now then when i started. Im going to air on the side of caution and say that i cant cross state lines with weapons in my car. One of the weapons i wanted to bring was my AR so thats out anyway.

im more confused now then when i started. Im going to air on the side of caution and say that i cant cross state lines with weapons in my car. One of the weapons i wanted to bring was my AR so thats out anyway.

I will say however that it's pretty easy to get a non-resident permit for CT, and once you have it, things are a *lot* simpler. The AR would take some research, but handgun wouldn't be a problem at all, (pretty much, unless it was silenced, was an AR-pistol, or other "specialty" pistol).

Fox,

Let me cut through all the confusion.

1) Handguns - You can't bring handguns into CT unless you have a pistol permit. There are a few exceptions. Formal training and formal competition are two of them. You can transport THROUGH CT. But if your destination is in CT, you either need a pistol permit or fall into the exemptions I mentioned above.

2) Rifles and Shotguns - There are literally no requirements to own, possess, transport or carry long guns as long as you are not a prohibited person. No license or permission is necessary for anything with respect to a rifle. You can transport a rifle right up front with you in the car. As long as its unloaded you are empty.

3) Assault Weapons - CT's AWB as updated with PA 13-3 includes pretty much ALL AR15s!!!. The only ARs that are not AWs are those made prior to the 1994 ban.

Thats it. In a nutshell, you are 5hit out of luck with respect to an AR, have limited freedom with handguns, and have complete freedom to do what you please with rifles and shotguns.

I hope this helps.

Don

p.s. bring ammo. You won't be able to buy it in CT unless you have a PP or an ammo card.

Fox,

1) Handguns - You can't bring handguns into CT unless you have a pistol permit. There are a few exceptions. Formal training and formal competition are two of them. You can transport THROUGH CT. But if your destination is in CT, you either need a pistol permit or fall into the exemptions I mentioned above.

2) Rifles and Shotguns - There are literally no requirements to own, possess, transport or carry long guns as long as you are not a prohibited person. No license or permission is necessary for anything with respect to a rifle. You can transport a rifle right up front with you in the car. As long as its unloaded you are empty.

3) Assault Weapons - CT's AWB as updated with PA 13-3 includes pretty much ALL AR15s!!!. The only ARs that are not AWs are those made prior to the 1994 ban.

Thats it. In a nutshell, you are 5hit out of luck with respect to an AR, have limited freedom with handguns, and have complete freedom to do what you please with rifles and shotguns.

I hope this helps.

Don

p.s. bring ammo. You won't be able to buy it in CT unless you have a PP or an ammo card.

thanks a ton exactly what i was looking for. i think ill leave the ar home and take a couple pistols on my way to a destination that is not ct [wink]

thanks a ton exactly what i was looking for. i think ill leave the ar home and take a couple pistols on my way to a destination that is not ct [wink]
make sure FOPA covers you if you start having car trouble and need to park it at some random CT house that coincidentally is where your friend lives. BTW, i read the thread earlier and dont recall any mention of 11 round and up mags. regardless of manufacture date, you cant bring any in to CT

Yes, unlike MA, the only people who can lawfully possess standard cap mags are those who declared them prior to 1/1/2014.

At the time, I was advising MA residents who regularly traveled to CT to shoot to declare any standard cap mags. The law said nothing about needing to be a CT resident to either register an AW or declare standard cap mags.

Don

Last edited:
Fox,

I hope this helps.

Don

Nice clarification - Thank you.

Yes, unlike MA, the only people who can lawfully possess standard cap mags are those who declared them prior to 1/1/2014.
Sorry to bring up a 3 month old thread, but I'd like a little NES sanity check re: FOPA and Connecticut.

I travel between SE MA and the greater Springfield, MA area fairly regularly. I much prefer back roads to the MA Turnpike and a couple of my regular travel routes dip into CT for short to medium distances.

While in Western MA, I occasionally do a little collectible handgun shopping. It hasn't happened yet, but I can foresee an instance where I will someday want to make a handgun purchase before heading back home.

Question: I do not have a CT NR license. Will FOPA protect me sufficiently if I stick to one of my usual routes home including those short distances through CT? Or would it be advisable in such an instance to alter my usual route home so as to stay entirely within Massachusetts?

I see this as less a question about the law and more a question about CT cop attitudes and practices re: FOPA.

Sorry to bring up a 3 month old thread, but I'd like a little NES sanity check re: FOPA and Connecticut.

I travel between SE MA and the greater Springfield, MA area fairly regularly. I much prefer back roads to the MA Turnpike and a couple of my regular travel routes dip into CT for short to medium distances.

While in Western MA, I occasionally do a little collectible handgun shopping. It hasn't happened yet, but I can foresee an instance where I will someday want to make a handgun purchase before heading back home.

Question: I do not have a CT NR license. Will FOPA protect me sufficiently if I stick to one of my usual routes home including those short distances through CT? Or would it be advisable in such an instance to alter my usual route home so as to stay entirely within Massachusetts?

I see this as less a question about the law and more a question about CT cop attitudes and practices re: FOPA.

FOPA is FOPA - you're legal in origin and destination, pack the firearm in accordance to federal law, don't drive like an ahole and don't worry about it.

The difference between you and the original poster is that his destination is Connecticut. Your destination isn't Connecticut, it's merely somewhere you're passing through. To the best of my knowledge, Connecticut "recognizes" FOPA, we're not NY or NJ, (yet...?). Usual disclaimers, you asked for an opinion, that's what I'm giving you.

FOPA is FOPA - you're legal in origin and destination, pack the firearm in accordance to federal law, don't drive like an ahole and don't worry about it.

The difference between you and the original poster is that his destination is Connecticut. Your destination isn't Connecticut, it's merely somewhere you're passing through. To the best of my knowledge, Connecticut "recognizes" FOPA, we're not NY or NJ, (yet...?). Usual disclaimers, you asked for an opinion, that's what I'm giving you.
Thank you. And yes, I value all serious opinions.

FOPA is FOPA, but this is a slightly different situation than specifically envisioned in FOPA in that I am traveling from one point in MA to another point in MA (i.e., same state, not two different states), but via CT for part of the trip for my own convenience. One could even argue that my trip starts at home in the morning and ends back home at night with a series of brief intermediate stops (vs. having a specific destination)... although no stops in CT.

CT might not be NY or NJ yet, but it is getting there. Hence my request for a sanity check. [grin]

I'll second Len's advice. Just make sure that you are complying with FOPA requirements when you have a handgun with you. Please google it and read the original text. But the bottom line is that it needs to be locked in either a secure container OR your trunk. Trigger locks do you no good.

Also, please remember that FOPA is not relevant with respect to non-AW long guns, since no governmental permission is necessary to posses, carry, or transport long guns in CT.

With respect to AWs, FOPA is very relevant. Even a post-ban MA compliant AR is illegal in CT unless you registered it or it is pre (94)ban. So if you are transporting a MA legal AR through CT, you are dependent on FOPA. Which means a locked container OR in the trunk.

Hope this helps.

Don

Don

I'll second Len's advice. Just make sure that you are complying with FOPA requirements when you have a handgun with you. Please Google it and read the original text. But the bottom line is that it needs to be locked in either a secure container OR your trunk. Trigger locks do you no good.

Also, please remember that FOPA is not relevant with respect to non-AW long guns, since no governmental permission is necessary to posses, carry, or transport long guns in CT.

With respect to AWs, FOPA is very relevant. Even a post-ban MA compliant AR is illegal in CT unless you registered it or it is pre (94)ban. So if you are transporting a MA legal AR through CT, you are dependent on FOPA. Which means a locked container OR in the trunk.

Hope this helps.

Don
Thanks Don. [thumbsup] I have gone through the actual wording of the law numerous times, in part because I drive an SUV with no discrete locking trunk like a sedan. But there is a small storage area underneath the load floor and forward of the spare tire that can only be accessed when the tailgate door is unlocked and opened and the load floor removed. It cannot be reached and opened by a backseat occupant. I've often wondered if that particular storage space would satisfy FOPA (or MA law for that matter)... however, I do not rely on it and I carry a lockable pistol box with me wherever I go.

I can't foresee picking up an AR on any of these trips. I do have a lockable rifle case, but I'm all set in the AR realm and don't foresee buying another one anytime soon, especially out in Western MA.

I will say however that it's pretty easy to get a non-resident permit for CT, and once you have it, things are a *lot* simpler. The AR would take some research, but handgun wouldn't be a problem at all, (pretty much, unless it was silenced, was an AR-pistol, or other "specialty" pistol).
+1. if you'll be seeing the friend more than once you should apply for a permit. It is fairly straightforward.

EJ
It sounds like you have all your bases covered. As to the compartment under the floor, if it cant be raised with the rear hatch closed, then you are good. But a pistol box can't hurt either. Especially if it can be put in the compartment under the floor.

EJ
It sounds like you have all your bases covered. As to the compartment under the floor, if it cant be raised with the rear hatch closed, then you are good. But a pistol box can't hurt either. Especially if it can be put in the compartment under the floor.
Exactly right. And yes, my lockable pistol box does fit very nicely into the SUV's hidden rear compartment. [grin]

The only other issue I can think of is that of pre-ban magazines. What if the collectable handgun I end up buying includes a pre-ban magazine of over 10 rounds? Does FOPA still protect me from your new CT regs? [thinking]

That question nearly came up earlier this year when I suddenly realized that an empty 12-round pre-ban magazine I had bought was still in the trunk of my wife's car as we were headed toward CT. Fortunately, we had time to turn around and drop the damn thing off at home. [laugh] We really don't need any trouble from your wonderful state police. [wink]

Exactly right. And yes, my lockable pistol box does fit very nicely into the SUV's hidden rear compartment. [grin]

The only other issue I can think of is that of pre-ban magazines. What if the collectable handgun I end up buying includes a pre-ban magazine of over 10 rounds? Does FOPA still protect me from your new CT regs? [thinking]

That question nearly came up earlier this year when I suddenly realized that an empty 12-round pre-ban magazine I had bought was still in the trunk of my wife's car as we were headed toward CT. Fortunately, we had time to turn around and drop the damn thing off at home. [laugh] We really don't need any trouble from your wonderful state police. [wink]

Practical rather than legal advice;
Empty is less likely to be a problem than loaded.
If you're buying them and have the opportunity, dis-assemble them - now you've got "parts".

Cops generally aren't going to give you a problem just for the hell of it. If you're driving like an ahole and give the cop a ration of sht when he pulls you over, he's going to break your stones and yes, he's gonna write you up for everything he can. If on the other hand, you get pulled over like I was recently for about 20 over the limit, respond quietly with your license and permit, remain courteous, you may just drive away with nothing more than a "slow down".

Flying UNDER the radar works well for me.

+1 to what Allen1 said.

If you are a middle aged married guy with a valid drivers license and insurance in a reasonable looking car driving reasonably, there is nearly zero chance that you will ever have a LEO searching your car. Even if you get pulled over for (reasonable) speeding.

Don

p.s. being white doesn't hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom