• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Resident Buying Second Home in NH can bring NH rifles into MA?

So my parents are buying a house in NH were I would live at certain times of year etc. I know as long as I show utility bills with my name on them I can buy pretty much whatever I want in NH since I am proving that I live their even with a MA drivers license. Now I know NH residents with a MA LTC can carry their non MA approved hand guns in MA as long as they have a 10rd magazine inserted and dont need to register them with MA. But could a MA resident who resides in both MA and NH and has a MA LTC bring their NH rifles and pistols into MA and store them at their house since technically they are just traveling back and forth with them? or are you not allowed to store them, only carry them?

So my parents are buying a house in NH were I would live at certain times of year etc. I know as long as I show utility bills with my name on them I can buy pretty much whatever I want in NH since I am proving that I live their even with a MA drivers license. Now I know NH residents with a MA LTC can carry their non MA approved hand guns in MA as long as they have a 10rd magazine inserted and dont need to register them with MA. But could a MA resident who resides in both MA and NH and has a MA LTC bring their NH rifles and pistols into MA and store them at their house since technically they are just traveling back and forth with them? or are you not allowed to store them, only carry them?

You can bring any firearm that is legal for YOU to possess in Massachusetts into MA.
MA "Approved" hand guns only apply to Dealer's FFL. If it doesn't violate the AWB for pistols, you can possess/carry it in the Commonwealth.

Technically, if you bring them into MA with the intention of leaving them here, you are required to FA10 the firearm within 7 days.

You can bring any firearm that is legal for YOU to possess in Massachusetts into MA.
MA "Approved" hand guns only apply to Dealer's FFL. If it doesn't violate the AWB for pistols, you can possess/carry it in the Commonwealth.

Technically, if you bring them into MA with the intention of leaving them here, you are required to FA10 the firearm within 7 days.

What about AR15s since new ones are banned from being purchased in MA now? could I bring an AR from my house in NH into MA and not register it as long as my intent isn't to permanently leave it here?

Although there aren't specific words in MGL about how long you have the gun in MA before you have a requirement to register it, it is common belief that since you are a MA resident, as soon as it crosses the state line with you the first time you have 7 days to register it, even if you bring it back to NH the next day.

TTBOMK nobody has tested that case in court, but you can always be first.

What about AR15s since new ones are banned from being purchased in MA now? could I bring an AR from my house in NH into MA and not register it as long as my intent isn't to permanently leave it here?

Probably not. An AR you are likely to buy in NH would be considered an assault weapon in MA.

If you could find a NH shop that had a MA-compliant rifle then I would say "yes" as long as you have your MA LTC.

IANL

Probably not. An AR you are likely to buy in NH would be considered an assault weapon in MA.

If you could find a NH shop that had a MA-compliant rifle then I would say "yes" as long as you have your MA LTC.

IANL

I thought there were no longer any MA-compliant AR's (post 7/20/16 or whatever the magic date is), as per your queen.

That is her opinion, not mine.

Well put.

Might as well be, since no one seems to be doing anything about it.

You aren't paying attention if you believe that. There are THREE Federal lawsuits against her over this issue currently. It'll be 3-5 years before they are adjudicated however, so people will be running scared for a good long time before we have a final answer (hopefully it is that she's full of shit and we go back to normal).

I know NH is a free state but can you really buy a gun with a utility bill? My thought is you would need a NH resident ID to buy a gun and you can't have a NH ID(resident) and a MA LTC(Resident).

You aren't paying attention if you believe that. There are THREE Federal lawsuits against her over this issue currently. It'll be 3-5 years before they are adjudicated however, so people will be running scared for a good long time before we have a final answer (hopefully it is that she's full of shit and we go back to normal).

I am paying attention Len. That's exactly why I said it. Running scared for a good long time is not doing something about it. That, sir, is sad.

I know NH is a free state but can you really buy a gun with a utility bill? My thought is you would need a NH resident ID to buy a gun and you can't have a NH ID(resident) and a MA LTC(Resident).

Your thoughts aside, try reading what the Feds require, it is in the pages of instructions on every 4473 form. You can also DL and read it for yourself off atf.gov. What a dealer chooses to do above and beyond Fed Law/Regs is strictly up to them.

Your thoughts aside, try reading what the Feds require, it is in the pages of instructions on every 4473 form. You can also DL and read it for yourself off atf.gov. What a dealer chooses to do above and beyond Fed Law/Regs is strictly up to them.

I was asking a question because I don't know. Just like the OP. This is why I never post on the forums. Every comment is met with some wise ass response. Not everybody knows everything. It must be nice though.

I am paying attention Len. That's exactly why I said it. Running scared for a good long time is not doing something about it. That, sir, is sad.

OK, but once you file a lawsuit, unlike TV, it takes a VERY long and tortuous course before it is heard and a decision reached, then there are the appeals . . .

To put into perspective how (timewise) our legal system operates, the US Securities and Exchange Commission hired and paid me to serve a lawsuit on Bradlees Corporation in November 2007. The chain of department stores filed bankruptcy in 2000 and closed all operations in March 2001!!! A day late and a dollar short . . . but I got paid to visit a building that had a different tenant in it anyway.

In the meantime most of us continue to shoot our ARs/AKs without fear, even sell them privately without fear. Yes, there are those that are hiding in fear, but we can't help them.

I was asking a question because I don't know. Just like the OP. This is why I never post on the forums. Every comment is met with some wise ass response. Not everybody knows everything. It must be nice though.

If you think my answer was a wise ass response, I suggest that you go find your "safe space". I told you where to find the requirements (BATFE lists what is needed) and even the website to DL the form so you can read it yourself. And you made a statement as to what you thought the requirements were, you didn't ask a question in the post I responded to. And I don't know everything, but I do take the time to look and find info that I don't know, something that many can't be bothered to do before espousing what they think (with no proof) the rules/laws are.

MA stands for MArtha and MAura, the real reason Mass residents can't have nice things

Correct -- NH doesn't care as long as buyer/seller comply with Federal law.

The reality is, many dealers won't want to deal with the hassle of making a direct firearm sale to somebody whose ID says MA all over it.

Might as well be, since no one seems to be doing anything about it.
Easy to ride the high horse from another state, eh? Something tells me that if you lived in MA you would be complying too.

Maybe don't throw a tantrum next time someone provides a thought-out response and points you in the right direction to find your answer?

The reality is, many dealers won't want to deal with the hassle of making a direct firearm sale to somebody whose ID says MA all over it.
Correct. The OP should not be surprised when certain NH dealers scared shitless of Dimples the Tyrant refuse to do business with him. [thinking]

It'll be 3-5 years before they are adjudicated however, so people will be running scared for a good long time before we have a final answer (hopefully it is that she's full of shit and we go back to normal).

Well, dealers and some stupid people/newbs are "running scared... " Everyone else is pretty much acting as though her edict does not exist, and only the original AWB still actually applies.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom