• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma Residant with CT and Ma LTCs

That used to be true, it's no longer true. Connecticut now has three levels of permits, ammunition, longarms and handgun/carry. You cannot even purchase ammunition in Connecticut without at least an ammunition permit.

What I said is one hundred percent true. As a non-resident, with a Connecticut Permit to Carry, you can purchase a rifle shotgun, you can purchase ammunition, and you can purchase legal magazines. You can also carry a pistol or revolver where not prohibited by law or by the property owner.

And, you would be incorrect in stating that Connecticut has a 3-tier system. It's a four tier system.
1. Permit to carry (authorizes purchase of long guns, purchase of pistols and revolvers, purchase of ammunition, purchase of legal magazines, and carry of pistols or revolvers)
2. Certificate of Eligibility for Pistols or Revolvers (authorizes purchase of long guns, purchase of pistols and revolvers, purchase of ammunition, purchase of legal magazines)
3. Certificate of Eligibility for Long Guns (authorizes purchase of long guns, purchase of ammunition, purchase of legal magazines)
4. Ammunition Certificate (authorizes purchase of ammunition, purchase of legal magazines)

[purchasing others and handguns requires Connecticut residency]

- - - Updated - - -

I think he may have intended to mean on a non resident CT carry permit.

That's what I meant- CT permit bearing an out of state permit. (There is no nomenclature distinction on permits issued to nonresidents like there is in Mass)

Permits issued by out of state jurisdictions are meaningless in CT, aside from being an underlying requirement for obtaining a CT permit as a non-resident.

He is a part time resident of CT. He doesn't just own the home, he splits time between MA and CT
My intention wasn't to suggest that was the OP's situation. I was simply putting that out there as a statement of fact. Many people erroniously believe that property ownership is sufficient (e.g. owning an investment/rental property in state X makes you a resident of that state for firearms purchase purposes when visiting to go to the beach)

My intention wasn't to suggest that was the OP's situation. I was simply putting that out there as a statement of fact. Many people erroniously believe that property ownership is sufficient (e.g. owning an investment/rental property in state X makes you a resident of that state for firearms purchase purposes when visiting to go to the beach)
But it does. While he is making a home at that property, according to the atf, he is a resident. Even if it's only for one week a year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, but many people also erroneously believe that you need to own or rent property in a state to establish residence.

If you spend time at your parents lake house in NH on a regular basis and (for example) keep clothing and a toothbrush there, it is a legitimate residence when you are there and you can purchase firearms as a resident there.

So I agree with you that property ownership does not establish residence. However, property ownership is not necessary to establish residence.

- - - Updated - - -

But it does. While he is making a home at that property, according to the atf, he is a resident. Even if it's only for one week a year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct. The key is "making a home".

If it was a vacant lot, then no. If it was rented with an annual lease, then no.

If its rented weekly and you go up on unrented weeks, YES.

I own a home in CT and am a resident in MA.
I still had to get a non-res pistol permit in CT.
I can purchase ammo and long guns in CT but not pistols.
I wish it wasnt so, but this is how it went for me....

EDIT:
Just got off the phone with CT permitting office and she says I CAN get a resident license and sees NO reason I shouldnt be able to purchase any pistol in CT. I am up for renewal in few months anyways so she said to just send in a copy of my tax bill to verify residence... WOAH, i wonder if this would cause an issue with fed check if i try to buy a pistol from a dealer???

This is great news, and 100% consistent with the law and ATF's interpretation.

The correct way to say it would be that you own a home in CT and spend time regularly there. (i.e. you "make a home")
Your primary residence or domicile is in MA.

Unfortunately, remember that the CT Resident PP process begins with your local PD.

Please PM me with your CT residence info. I can give you info on your local CT PD on a town by town basis. Some towns like Newington, South Windsor, and most towns with resident troopers are a piece of cake. Others, it expedites the process if you know their idiosyncrasies and how to deal with them.

We (CT Carry) work with people all the time to make sure that the permitting process goes smoothly.

Don

Last edited:
You undermine your own statement.

It is residence in the property, not ownership, that makes it legal to buy in that state. If you own rental property but do not occupy it, you do not qualify.

With an O/U alot of it is about balance and fit. I would like to physically handle different models in a similar price range to evaluate how they shoulder and balance. I have found that most shops in Mass carry only one or two models that are in my current price range (under 1000). Cabella's was my thought process because they carry a bunch. In the end I may just do what you are suggesting, but only after I have been able to compare different guns.

I realize that Cabelas is a lot closer to your location of "Western Mass" but Kittery Trading Post might be well worth the drive for you. Their shotgun selection is extensive.

Back
Top Bottom