• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA pre ban magazine laws

Yes, but don't ask EOPS, the AG or your local police department.

Pre-ban is pre-ban, matters not where it was or where it came from.

FTF for mags is perfectly legal in any state unless state law prohibits it (since there are some new totalitarian mag laws in NY/CT, I won't venture what's legal there).

I'm necroposting because I just encountered an issue with out of state preban magazines. A reputable auction company refused to ship preban magazines to me in MA. Here is the email response I received:
"For magazines manufactured before 1994 and already owned, there is no problem, but for magazines you just purchased, they do not get grandfathered in. These are restricted."

What kind of BS is this?

I'm necroposting because I just encountered an issue with out of state preban magazines. A reputable auction company refused to ship preban magazines to me in MA. Here is the email response I received:
"For magazines manufactured before 1994 and already owned, there is no problem, but for magazines you just purchased, they do not get grandfathered in. These are restricted."

What kind of BS is this?
it’s some retards making up fake law is what it is

What kind of BS is this?
DISreputable auction house now. Out them. This is complete fabricated bullshit. Earlier in this thread the complete text of MGL 140 131m is quoted. No where does it mention owning them or being in the state. The only place language like that exists is for pre98 off roster handguns and that is in MGL 140 123 and applies to dealers.

DISreputable auction house now. Out them. This is complete fabricated bullshit. Earlier in this thread the complete text of MGL 140 131m is quoted. No where does it mention owning them or being in the state. The only place language like that exists is for pre98 off roster handguns and that is in MGL 140 123 and applies to dealers.
Yeah by that logic we got young gen Z gunslingers in MA who were born way after 1994 and just got their LTCs and can't possibly have owned preban hi-caps.

What kind of BS is this?

Retailers look for every reason possible to not ship anything to Mass. Doesn’t mean they’re following the law, they don’t want to spend the time or money dealing with it when nearly every other state they can ship to without caring.

If you think preban mags are hard to order, try legally ordering ammo online 😂

Rock Island. They were willing to ship a machine gun to MA, but not the magazines. I offered an address in NH just for the magazines and they still refused. I told them that it was a dealbreaker, so they lost a significant buyer's premium as well. I won't be bidding on any more of their auctions.

Rock Island. They were willing to ship a machine gun to MA, but not the magazines. I offered an address in NH just for the magazines and they still refused. I told them that it was a dealbreaker, so they lost a significant buyer's premium as well. I won't be bidding on any more of their auctions.
Damn that's lame. I got my desert eagle 3 barrel set from Rock Island over the summer and they had no issues shipping here. I thought they were going to say it's not MA compliant so we can't ship it here (yes I know that's a load of shit and the ways around it). I ran into that with Poulin Auctions up in Maine a few years ago. They took my money after I won a Dan Wesson revolver and then renegged and said it's not MA compliant so we can't ship it to you and we'll resell it on your behalf and take our auction fee cut. I was LIVID! Beware of Poulin Auctions

Well, for those of us who've been here for a lot of years . . . there was an attorney in EOPS who insisted that "in Massachusetts" was part of that MGL. She batted heads with me over it. Said words were never in the law, just made up by some anti-2A attorneys in EOPS. They did spread that word far and wide, but that is likely where this mis-interpretation comes from.

was he on our side when he said it? Or trying to imply that grandfathering dies with grandpa?
not at all. She thought that the grandfather notion only applied to the possessor at the time of the ban.
How did it work out?
Dismissed. It was a guy who was arrested for a standard capacity glock mag with an ltc.

What kind of BS is this?
Freedom beckons from the north. Get out while you still can.

Dismissed. It was a guy who was arrested for a standard capacity glock mag with an ltc.
So, he was arrested for following the law?

Honestly, as much as people talk about qualified immunity for the police, sometimes I think the prosecuters are a bigger problem.

Companies like C-Products sell just the bodies of magazines. This topic has been discussed here before and it was determined that we do not know what part of the magazine would be considered the magazine as the law does not specifically address that point. You can't simply say it's the dated magazine body because not all magazine bodies are stamped or dated like C-products. IIRC during the fed ban it was determined that you could replace the body with a new one but you were advised to keep the old crushed one around just for backup so you could show the new body was a replacement.
Next question - Are you willing replace a preban date-stamped magazine with a replacement body and get caught with it or does the risk outweigh the reward?

No one has actually been prosecuted and convicted in MA of possession of a post ban mag.

probably true but not sure that you could use that as a defense if you're the first guy who is prosecuted. would you really want to get caught with one?

not at all. She thought that the grandfather notion only applied to the possessor at the time of the ban.

Neil, any way you can share how he came into contact with law enforcement and how it became an issue?

As a law abiding gun owner I think we all have the fear that a pre ban magazine will result in charges. Nightmare scenario for sure.

What kind of BS is this?
The specifics of the various state bans vary and it's easier for some vendors to just have a ban/noban flag rather than particulars.

In MA it is "when made"
In CA it is "personally possessed in the state of CA before the ban date"
In CO it is "personally possessed before the ban date"
In WA it is "Cannot be bought or imported after the ban, but if you had in, in WA, before the ban you are OK"
In RI it is "180 days after the ban to surrender, destroy or get them out of state" - injunction against enforcement pending appeal denied

So, it is hard for the auction company to track all of this info, and do so in a documented, with on the record fee paid for legal opinion from attorney(s) admitted to the bar in each of those states. When you're in business, getting the info from NES or the news doesn't generally cut it.

Neil, any way you can share how he came into contact with law enforcement and how it became an issue?

As a law abiding gun owner I think we all have the fear that a pre ban magazine will result in charges. Nightmare scenario for sure.
He was stopped in his car for suspected oui but no charges issued for that. He told the police he was carrying a gun and they took it. Another cop then got nosy and removed the magazine.

He was stopped in his car for suspected oui but no charges issued for that. He told the police he was carrying a gun and they took it. Another cop then got nosy and removed the magazine.
Was the prosecutor just pushing the date of ownership or was the age of the magazine brought into play too? If the latter, what did they try to do to prove (and apparently fail) that the magazine was post-ban?

Was the prosecutor just pushing the date of ownership or was the age of the magazine brought into play too? If the latter, what did they try to do to prove (and apparently fail) that the magazine was post-ban?
Their claim in discussions with me was that a young person could never own a preban magazine bc they were underage when the ban began. We never discussed it again after I saw that the mag was ambidextrous. :-0

Back
Top Bottom