MA Police Officer Test 2011

Like he said, its worth a shot. Might give NYPD exam a try also, know they were having a hiring surge a few years back but wasnt old enough then to take the test.

After scoring high 90's evertime I took it in my 20's, Ive skipped the last 3 fundraisers. I was told if you're a white male and dont have military, dont even bother taking it.

This is a crock. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts should be required to activley publish which departments are hiring. Ergo, abusing police tests in lieu of monetary gains.

Guys, although its a tough time to get hired this test is what it is. All civil service positions are filled from these tests. A lot of people get hired off of everyone.
Although veterans do get preference on civil service, in very few cases does ethnicity factor into hiring, so the "if your a white male non veteran dont bother" argument is not really valid.

in very few cases does ethnicity factor into hiring, so the "if your a white male non veteran dont bother" argument is not really valid.

Source? Ever heard of beecher decree? I know minorities that scored below 90 and got hired so it is a valid argument

Last edited:

I dont know what you want for a source... If you want to get into the minority issue research the consent decree. I wont pretend to understand it, but that is the preference IRT minorities. (only nine communities are "consent decree" communities)

Gnerally speaking, outside of certain exceptions the civil service hiring list goes:

Resident Disabled vets
resident vets
residents
non resident vets
non residents

This is the official order : http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=aftermi..._overview_certificationorderoflists&csid=Eoaf

Last edited:
Basically, if you have residency in a civil service town, it is worth taking the test. I kno of non veterans who have been hired off the last test.

I dont know what you want for a source... If you want to get into the minority issue research the consent decree. I wont pretend to understand it, but that is the preference IRT minorities.

Gnerally speaking, outside of certain exceptions the civil service hiring list goes:

Resident Disabled vets
resident vets
residents
non resident vets
non residents

This is the official order : http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=aftermi..._overview_certificationorderoflists&csid=Eoaf

The source would be disputing the fact that non veteran white males have a chance, I know they didnt when I was taking the test. Your link even states beecher decree for some towns. The city even got sued a few times over its quota policy. Im not talking about MSP test which is the best woman/man for the job.

The source would be disputing the fact that non veteran white males have a chance, I know they didnt when I was taking the test. Your link even states beecher decree for some towns. The city even got sued a few times over its quota policy. Im not talking about MSP test which is the best woman/man for the job.

Yes, so outside of the nine consent decree communities the hiring is done by the list order i referenced, which doesnt factor ethnicity/sex.

Yes, so outside of the nine consent decree communities the hiring is done by the list order i referenced, which doesnt factor ethnicity/sex.

As of a couple years ago most of the departments still following the court orders (consent decree) do so by hiring one minority for every three nonminorities; Springfield is the only city still hiring on a one-to-one ratio. This does not include hiring females. So after all this and the fact that veterans and disabled veterans, minorities, and women get preference first, where does this leave the non veteran white male? on the sidelines thats where since most Depts are not hiring more than a couple officers per Dept

Last edited:
As of a couple years ago most of the departments still following the court orders (consent decree) do so by hiring one minority for every three nonminorities; Springfield is the only city still hiring on a one-to-one ratio. This does not include hiring females. So after all this and the fact that veterans and disabled veterans, minorities, and women get preference first, where does this leave the non veteran white male? on the sidelines thats where since most Depts are not hiring more than a couple officers per Dept

Ok so if you live in one of those nine communties you have to consider consent decree, what about all the others? And I dont see where women fit in with consent decree.

Only to postpone/cancel the Academy and subsequently lay off officers.

well there is one going on now in plymouth and another coming up in reading i believe

Ok so if you live in one of those nine communties you have to consider consent decree, what about all the others? And I dont see where women fit in with consent decree.

Only towns that meet their minority quota can request to be taken off the decree list, so it fluctuates each year.

Only to postpone/cancel the Academy and subsequently lay off officers.

Only towns that meet their minority quota can request to be taken off the decree list, so it fluctuates each year.

well it sems like you know more than me with the whole consent decree.. But IMO if you live in a civil service town you may as well take the test, as thats the best way to get on. Like I said before I know a few who happen to be white male non vets getting hired off the last test, so it happens

...But IMO if you live in a civil service town you may as well take the test, as thats the best way to get on. Like I said before I know a few who happen to be white male non vets getting hired off the last test, so it happens

I'll throw in my 2 cents... I am a non-vet white male who got hired off a CS list in the last 10 years, and I know a number of others in my "era"...with the exception of a hand ful of communities (mostly big urban places if I recall correct) the "white male" is/was FAR less a hinderence than "non-vet"...ESPECIALLY NOW, back when I got on my "vet" competion were basicly the very tail end of Gulf War 1 vets, but now you got a whole new crowd of vets...

If you are a non-vet now a days, and you want to get on, you had best try real hard to basicly ace the test AND go get your EMT cert AND be multi-lingual...

Finally I completely agree, if you live in a civil service town you may as well take the test, as thats the [STRIKE]best[/STRIKE] ONLY way to get on But understand more than likely you are better giving the state that $100 and at least getting 100 lottery tickets for it, because plenty of places are laying off (or not hiring to fill retirees), very few towns are hiring, and when they do the "layoff list" beats any "new" hire (vet or not)...but much like the lottery you can't win if you don't play the game...

After scoring high 90's evertime I took it in my 20's, Ive skipped the last 3 fundraisers. I was told if you're a white male and dont have military, dont even bother taking it.

+1000

MA fundraiser...Deval must need new rims for his caddy

They held an MBTA academy recently where halfway through the cycle, a handful of guys got laid off. That must have been a kick in the nutz.

If you have your heart set on being a cop, you really need to move to another part of the country. It is just too much of a pain in the ass in the northeast. I remember going for a test in a small hick RI town back in the 90's and for 2 positions, over 200 guys showed up for the PT test.

Also check out usajobs.gov once in a while for federal stuff.

Last edited:
They held an MBTA academy recently where halfway through the cycle, a handful of guys got laid off. That must have been a kick in the nutz.

If you have your heart set on being a cop, you really need to move to another part of the country. It is just too much of a pain in the ass in the northeast. I remember going for a test in a small hick RI town back in the 90's and for 2 positions, over 200 guys showed up for the PT test.

Also check out usajobs.gov once in a while for federal stuff.

+1. If you are able to relocate, do so. The southwest and Florida are usually hiring pretty steadily. With the destruction of the Quinn bill and the proposed cuts in the retirement system for new hires the job is not as attractive as it once was around here due to the cost of living. And we have 4 more years of dealing with virtually no hiring with the current administration on Beacon Hill.

Back
Top Bottom