MA pastor comes to NH remarks about our gun laws, but doesn't want to change them

Yeah....right [rolleyes]

http://www.wmur.com/news/20375733/detail.html

CONCORD, N.H. -- A Boston pastor is asking New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch to help end gun violence in the Bay State.

Pastor Bruce Wall of Global Ministries Christian Church has long been outspoken about gun violence in Massachusetts. The topic got new attention recently when Philip Markoff was charged with using a gun bought in New Hampshire to kill a woman he met on craigslist.org.

Wall said the people who use the guns illegally need to take responsibility for their own actions, but he said he thinks that by bringing more awareness to the issue, it could prevent tragedies.

"What's happening is residents from Boston are traveling to New Hampshire and working with the locals, New Hampshire residents," Wall said. "New Hampshire residents are purchasing the weapons and giving those weapons to those from Massachusetts."

In the Granite State, a resident who passes a background check can purchase a gun. In Massachusetts, the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office said that of the guns used in Massachusetts crimes, only 20 percent were purchased in the Bay State, and the rest came from states with more lax gun laws.

Wall said he visited New Hampshire to get Lynch's attention. Lynch has told News 9 that he believes the state's gun laws are appropriate, but Wall said he isn't trying to change the law.

"I'm coming to New Hampshire and asking the governor if he will publically say to New Hampshire young people, 'This is not right. You need to be careful,'" Wall said.

Wall and Lynch did speak for a few minutes behind closed doors. Wall said they talked about coming up with a plan that would allow them to work together.

"I believe he and I will have more talks," Wall said. "I was not sure he'd be able to see me, but now he knows me and I know him, and I'm coming back."

Lynch declined to speak with News 9 after Wall's visit.

Well, I hope Lynch keeps to his public election promises.

As for the other highlighted quote....Sure words are really going to scare these thugs [rolleyes]

Tell you what Mr. Wall, how's about you convince the MA DA to lock these these thugs, who use guns when committing a crime in your state, away for a LONG time.

Last edited:
For once, I don't think this guy should be excoriated if what he is reported as saying is accurate.

Seems he wants people to think twice before making a straw purchase.

The problem I have with stuff like this is it demonizes guns and gun ownership instead of actually addressing the real problems at hand.

The tipoff is use of the term "gun violence". While firearm deaths are probably the lions share of deaths caused by violent criminals, that term just pisses me off because it demonizes an object instead of attacking the real problem, which is violent crime in general. It's a societal/criminal justice problem, not one "caused" by private ownership of firearms.

The bottom line is that gun control of any kind is a fools errand- even if no new guns were allowed to be sold tomorrow, with 200+ million guns floating around in the US alone, criminals are not going to stop shooting each other, or innocents, anytime soon. If people really want to combat this problem they need to cut it off at the source or deal with the players involved in the violence- not point fingers at inanimate objects and blaming people exercising civil rights for the violence.

The more I see this kind of thing the more I am convinced that these people really don't care about the real problem, they just want to ban private ownership of firearms through whatever means necessary, up to and including violating everyone's creator endowed rights in the process- and they'll stoop as low as to use emo-based pandering in order to carry out that goal. Sure, some are going to say "Well, the guy is only well intentioned..." And he might be, but as far as I'm concerned even if that is the case, he's nothing more than a useful idiot to the Brady/VPC types who have brainwashed him into believing that firearms cause these crimes. I would not be surprised if this guy links back into something like Rainbow PUSH, Brady, VPC, Rosenthal, or any of the other usual suspects. He might be well intentioned but he's likely a puppet of one of these. Antis will stop at nothing- including trying to add a veneer of reasonableness to their agenda to get their foot in the door in any way possible- and I expect these kinds of "end around" attacks to ramp up in the future considering that their frontal assaults on gun ownership usually fail miserably. Antis know they have to become more crafty in order to accomplish their agenda.

FWIW I have read some other articles/interviews by clergy types in inner cities.... not all of them blame guns, instead they focus on the real problems, like crappy education systems, single parent families, gangs, housing slumlords, etc. Those really interested in fighting things like inner city violence tend to focus in on the actual causative agents instead of the red herrings, or at least that's what I've noted.

-Mike

Last edited:
FWIW I have read some other articles/interviews by clergy types in inner cities.... not all of them blame guns, instead they focus on the real problems, like crappy education systems, single parent families, gangs, housing slumlords, etc. Those really interested in fighting things like inner city violence tend to focus in on the actual causative agents instead of the red herrings, or at least that's what I've noted.

-Mike

Bingo.

I don't care how "well intentioned" you are, or if you're a pastor or Rabbi or school teacher or whatever. Quit looking at the symptom and look for the root cause.

Maybe if instead of "urging people to re-think their actions, we enforced the laws we have, things might improve. I know that Massachusetts doesn't like the idea of actually locking up convicted murders and rapists, but it sure as hell couldn't hurt to try it for a change. The same thing goes for people who knowingly make straw purchases or traffic in unlicensed interstate gun sales. Sure, the ATF and the US Attorney's have so many more pressing things on their plate, but (again) it couldn't hurt to try it for a change. Then shut up and quit whining about guns.

Ken

I have to agree with Mike on this issue.

I don't know this pastor, and his motives might be good. But as far as I can see he's part of the problem, not the solution. Focusing on the guns as the problem, and not the underlying social issues that these hoodlums face means we'll never see an end to the violence. Sure, get rid of guns and they'll use knives, get rid of knives and they'll use sticks.

Unless the anti's real motivation is to disarm the population for more nefarious reasons (which I'm sure is the case). Focusing on the guns as the problem will never solve the problems of violence.

Someone remind me again how many federal gun laws Markoff broke to get his gun? Who seriously thinks that a couple more laws would have stopped him?

"What's happening is residents from Boston are traveling to New Hampshire and working with the locals, New Hampshire residents," Wall said. "New Hampshire residents are purchasing the weapons and giving those weapons to those from Massachusetts."
How is it possible that a reporter can write this without adding that the action described in bold text is a Federal Crime punishable by up to 5 years in Federal prison for each event?

The use of the phrase "states with more lax gun laws" in the next paragraph implies that NH has such lax laws; and that the transfer of guns between private individuals from different states is allowed.

Sinister

Check this out

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...shoot_out_in_dorchester_chills_police/?page=2

No wonder why Lynch didn't comment, page 2

"Bruce Wall, the pastor of the Global Ministries Christian Church in Codman Square, said he is planning to hold a prayer summit on the steps of the New Hampshire State Capitol in Concord, N.H., to get the attention of public officials and call on them to tighten their laws."

Looks like the sh*t hole i live in might encompass NH, my sincere apologies......

Last edited:
Maybe someone should slip this dude the ATF statistics, showing that firearms criminally employed in Boston come typically from Massachusetts, not New Hampshire?

We should send a group of marines to the Vatican to tell the pope how God should go about his business...

NH

if the gun came from NH would not the seller be in the paper as an accesory.
if it was a straw purchase.dont think the atf would ignore the sale.they would be on it like ants on suger.

If he looked at the ATF trace data he would see more traced handguns in NH came from MA then vice versa, I ran the numbers and it came out roughly 5.4% of guns in MA come from NH and 9.8% of guns in NH come from MA, so how about he keep his own criminal guns in his own state and leave us the hell alone.

someone needs to contact this dude and dutifully enquire about the "prayer date". express our interest in joining him. then, we need to show up, with the facts, and educate anyone idiotic enough to believe the crap he's spewing. turn his "anti" event into a "pro" event without him ever knowing there will be a counter protest.

FYI

Hey, I am a gun owner and actually Pastor Wall has been working very hard his whole life trying to fight poverty, violence, etc.. in other words the causes. However, still guns turn up and innocent people get killed or injured. Ex. young girl on her bed got hit by a bullet from a ak47 2 weeks ago. A knife would not do that. He actually is not against gun ownership at all. Hey, Just please don't sell them to people in Mass cuz they do not know how to use them. You really should support him. He does great work - not perfect but none of us are.

crasyman:

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, if what you say about Pastor Wall is true, that's very good news.

Welcome to NES crasyman.

Hey, Just please don't sell them to people in Mass cuz they do not know how to use them. You really should support him. He does great work - not perfect but none of us are.

Are you saying that people in MA don't know how to use guns? [thinking] My guns & I beg to differ....

Hey, I am a gun owner and actually Pastor Wall has been working very hard his whole life trying to fight poverty, violence, etc.. in other words the causes. However, still guns turn up and innocent people get killed or injured. Ex. young girl on her bed got hit by a bullet from a ak47 2 weeks ago. A knife would not do that. He actually is not against gun ownership at all. Hey, Just please don't sell them to people in Mass cuz they do not know how to use them. You really should support him. He does great work - not perfect but none of us are.

[troll]

I'll see that [troll] and raise you [troll][troll][troll]

Back
Top Bottom