MA Number 8 in Wuhan Virus--Why?

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
MA has the 8th highest number of cases and by population well above that. Why? Post your theory here.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
If it was the "big dump cities" than why was Middlesex County the leader in cases? Oh, that's because it's suburban commuters who worked at BioGen spread it there....77 of the first 95 cases. Just how f***ing idiotic are we going to be, here?

The first case U.S. resident diagnosed from the conference was a Middlesex County resident who had traveled to Italy.

There were 12 people from the BioGen conference from out of state, so that same conference spread it to five other states as well. Delaware, North Carolina, Tennessee and one other. The "Super Spreader" was allegedly from Italy. A lot of Chinese companies have set up manufacturing in Italy so they can ship to the EU, and apparently that's how it caught on there.

Suffolk County caught up because of the number of health care workers who had early exposure, and they also had access to testing because of their status. In case anyone hasn't noticed, Boston has 20 hospitals.

Sadly, that's not limited to Boston anymore.

Testing is all over the map: Massachusetts has tested three times the number of people per capita that California has, for example.

Strangely enough the first recorded case was the UMass Boston student, who checked in Feb 1. He doesn't seem to have spread it much, if at all. And he came directly from China.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MA has lots of big dump cities. Doesn’t help that there was at least one or more super spreader incidents here. A lot of people got f***ed from that biogen conference too.
this...biogen, shit cities, and not that far from NY. Probably a metric shit ton of cases on the daily BOS>LGA business shuttle planes every day.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If it was the "big dump cities" than why was Middlesex County the leader in cases? Oh, that's because it's suburban commuters who worked at BioGen spread it there....77 of the first 95 cases.
Yeah but the commuters don't come unless it's a BDC, one hand washes the other. UrbanBullshit(tm) makes this disease spread worse, and that's a
fact. Then even below that MA has a bunch of other medium and small dump cities that are probably problematic as well.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
more medical resources = more testing = more documented cases
This is a good point, too, there are probably a good number of people from RI, CT, and NH which get counted as "MA cases" because somehow or another
they ended up in an MA hospital. Depends on the methodology they used for determining the geographical position of the cases.

-Mike

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Here's one scoreboard:

Mass is now #8, but at one point we were #5 in total cases and currently we are #4 per capita. We are #6 in testing per capita, #7 in deaths.

This is really a moving target because some states (like California and Washington) were ahead of the curve, while others are well behind. So they won't be peaking for another one to two weeks. California has dropped to #30 in cases per capita, Washington to #10. The only New England state with fewer cases per capita than California is Maine.

Last edited:

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
and we were wondering why we saw an influx of new york license plates in the area....cuomo sending out the drones to scout for clean habitat for his infected masses.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massachusetts has the 8th highest immigrant population in the US so I'll simply make the simple extrapolation.
I'm not sure that in and of itself would be a reason if the immigrant population isn't coming and going often. Some of that makes contextual sense with New York, New Jersey, and California being high on both COVID and immigration lists, but don't make sense with Michigan, Louisiana, and Pennsylvania being high on the COVID list, but 29, 41, and 28, respectively, out of 50 states on the immigration list.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that in and of itself would be a reason if the immigrant population isn't coming and going often. Some of that makes contextual sense with New York, New Jersey, and California being high on both COVID and immigration lists, but don't make sense with Michigan, Louisiana, and Pennsylvania being high on the COVID list, but 29, 41, and 28, respectively, out of 50 states on the immigration list.
Well, I did say I took the simple extrapolation, not the correct one....

Editor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
. . . Testing is all over the map: Massachusetts has tested three times the number of people per capita that California has, for example.
And therein lies the absurdity of the arm-flapping "statistics" being used to gin up hysteria amongst the populace. If Population A has had, say, 50% of their population tested and Population B has had, say, 5% of their population tested, of course Population A will statistically have far greater percentage of cases.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
and we were wondering why we saw an influx of new york license plates in the area....cuomo sending out the drones to scout for clean habitat for his infected masses.
States can't have it both ways.

Maine is #1, Vermont #2, and NH #3 in the country for percentage of second home ownership (though not total numbers). Cape Cod has nearly 60,000. States tax these properties at "Non homestead" rates, and those visitors buy all kinds of services. Those second home owners spend a lot more than tourists. In Maine and VT NY'ers are the number 1 owners, and they are #2 or 3 in NH.

This summer, tourism is going to be hit hard, and those same communities that are now complaining about people fleeing NY for their second homes and using up "their" resources are going to be begging for that revenue.

Guy on another forum was complaining about all the MA plates he was seeing in NH and concerned they were spreading the virus. Under normal circumstances, 84,000 NH residents come to MA for work, and 30,000 MA residents go to NH for work. At least in the southern counties were those jobs are and most of those people live, we're all in it together.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
International airport, international companies, half the universities are filled with the CCP leadership's children, and a major tourist destination.

Also anyone sick from NYC (which has shitty hospitals) comes here because of Boston being the medical mecca of the northeastern US.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of students here. Combine Chinese ones coming back from chinese new year, and kids traveling across country for spring break partying...and you have WuFlu

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
.MA also has one of the largest concentrations of international students due to all the top level universities. That probably didn't help matters.
Really hard to say. My son had two students from Wuhan across the hall from him - but they hadn't been home since September. A lot of the Chinese students travel in the US during breaks rather than go home.

We had a Japanese student stay with us for five days (HS classmate of my daughter). She was at BU when they kicked them out of her dorm, and couldn't get a flight for four days. Because of that delay, she's now quarantined in a hotel for 14 days. 17 states have more cases than all of Japan.

Isn't this just a crazy situation?

Except in Mass you won't get a test unless you have strong symptoms, so I don't think that's the reason.
The worldometer linked above shows testing per capita. All US is way behind a lot of countries overall, but MA and the other top states are catching up. MA is at 11,909 per 1 mil. That's actually higher than S Korea, Singapore, Germany, etc.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it is a combo of all of the above, especially colleges, hospitals, International airport.

If it was the "big dump cities" than why was Middlesex County the leader in cases? Oh, that's because it's suburban commuters who worked at BioGen spread it there....77 of the first 95 cases. Just how f***ing idiotic are we going to be, here?

The first case U.S. resident diagnosed from the conference was a Middlesex County resident who had traveled to Italy.

There were 12 people from the BioGen conference from out of state, so that same conference spread it to five other states as well. Delaware, North Carolina, Tennessee and one other. The "Super Spreader" was allegedly from Italy. A lot of Chinese companies have set up manufacturing in Italy so they can ship to the EU, and apparently that's how it caught on there.

Suffolk County caught up because of the number of health care workers who had early exposure, and they also had access to testing because of their status. In case anyone hasn't noticed, Boston has 20 hospitals.

Sadly, that's not limited to Boston anymore.

Testing is all over the map: Massachusetts has tested three times the number of people per capita that California has, for example.

Strangely enough the first recorded case was the UMass Boston student, who checked in Feb 1. He doesn't seem to have spread it much, if at all. And he came directly from China.
Why don't they bring a couple thousand of these 19,000,000 pills in for AT LEAST THE HEALTH CARE WORKERS?

This plus didn't Mahty or Chalie tell everyone to go out to eat and visit China town. Same as NYC. "No danger! Spend money!"
Totally forgot about this! They were saying this was all a big nothing.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
MA also has one of the largest concentrations of international students due to all the top level universities. That probably didn't help matters.
I never was more sick than I was in my first year at college. My college consisted of over 50% foreign students. I came down with Sh#t that my doctors at the time had no idea how to deal with. Fortunately it was all relatively mild and not life threatening but so much for immigration laws and vaccinations and Sh#t!! And this was in 1989. I'm sure the system hasn't gotten any better since then.

Top Bottom