• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma non-resident unrestricted LTC?

My wife and I just took our MA LTC class yesterday, and now she wants to schedule our interview. I'm skeptical that we'll be able to get an unrestricted, and I'm not sure how I feel about paying $200/year for the privilege to legally lock a gun and/or ammo in our trunk. Is it likely at all that we might get an unrestricted?

Non-resident ALP licenses ARE issued. Whether any specific applicant is issued one, or not will depend on his or her reasons. In short, they generally reserve ALP licenses for applicants who can articulate some sort of individualized threat to their safety (that is greater than a typical person). It is generally understood that they are looking for a threat that is applicable in Massachusetts.

Depending on your reasons for coming to the Commonwealth, you may still find that a restricted license may allow you to carry- in certain circumstances, which may be useful for you or your wife. Massachusetts does have some nice shooting and sporting opportunities.

Additionally, the other nice thing about having the NR LTC, even if restricted, is that it provides a sort of shielding against potential criminal prosecution for charges related to the possession of a firearm or ammunition without a necessary card.Note that carry outside of restriction is punishable by a hefty civil fine and is grounds for license revocation- so I never recommend doing that.

My wife and I just took our MA LTC class yesterday, and now she wants to schedule our interview. I'm skeptical that we'll be able to get an unrestricted, and I'm not sure how I feel about paying $200/year for the privilege to legally lock a gun and/or ammo in our trunk. Is it likely at all that we might get an unrestricted?

I keep going back and forth on this myself for the same reasons. I still haven't applied.

Sean

Just read and follow the instructions, and you'll be fine. Truly.

An unrestricted LTC requires the applicant to "show good reason to fear injury to his person or property." So, specify one. Clearly.

Also, though not required, describe why you're a model citizen. You a deacon in your church? A business owner? A volunteer at the hospital? A father of three good kids who are on the honor roll, with a son who's an Eagle Scout? A 30 year resident of your town?

Finally, describe your knowledge of firearms and your dedication to training. How many training hours did you take this year? How about specific concealed carry training? How often do you practice at your club?

Do not write about hunting or competition. This will only give them an excuse to give you a restriction.

Look at the application from the perspective of a dedicated civil servant. That's who reviews and approves these things. They are not looking to deny people unrestricted LTCs. But you have to give them a reason to issue you one, according to the rules they've been given to follow. You have to make it seem like an easy decision, a low risk decision.

Above all, do not whine about your 2A rights, or write stupid shit like "what part of shall not be infringed don't you understand?!"

Focus on the State's rules, the State's process. And give them good reasons to issue your LTC according to those rules.

if you do that, you'll be all set.

Just read and follow the instructions, and you'll be fine. Truly.

An unrestricted LTC requires the applicant to "show good reason to fear injury to his person or property." So, specify one. Clearly.

Also, though not required, describe why you're a model citizen. You a deacon in your church? A business owner? A volunteer at the hospital? A father of three good kids who are on the honor roll, with a son who's an Eagle Scout? A 30 year resident of your town?

Finally, describe your knowledge of firearms and your dedication to training. How many training hours did you take this year? How about specific concealed carry training? How often do you practice at your club?

Do not write about hunting or competition. This will only give them an excuse to give you a restriction.

Look at the application from the perspective of a dedicated civil servant. That's who reviews and approves these things. They are not looking to deny people unrestricted LTCs. But you have to give them a reason to issue you one, according to the rules they've been given to follow. You have to make it seem like an easy decision, a low risk decision.

Above all, do not whine about your 2A rights, or write stupid shit like "what part of shall not be infringed don't you understand?!"

Focus on the State's rules, the State's process. And give them good reasons to issue your LTC according to those rules.

if you do that, you'll be all set.

I don't kiss rings or asses and don't like the taste of boot polish. [rolleyes] YMMV

Whether any specific applicant is issued one, or not will depend on his or her reasons. ummm.. HEALEY, BAKER, MA GUN LAWS THAT REALLY DO WORK (Yeah ok) :(, MA GUN LAWS THAT BLOW MONKEY B****!!!!!!

Non-resident ALP licenses ARE issued. Whether any specific applicant is issued one, or not will depend on his or her reasons. In short, they generally reserve ALP licenses for applicants who can articulate some sort of individualized threat to their safety (that is greater than a typical person). It is generally understood that they are looking for a threat that is applicable in Massachusetts.

Depending on your reasons for coming to the Commonwealth, you may still find that a restricted license may allow you to carry- in certain circumstances, which may be useful for you or your wife. Massachusetts does have some nice shooting and sporting opportunities.

Additionally, the other nice thing about having the NR LTC, even if restricted, is that it provides a sort of shielding against potential criminal prosecution for charges related to the possession of a firearm or ammunition without a necessary card.Note that carry outside of restriction is punishable by a hefty civil fine and is grounds for license revocation- so I never recommend doing that.

I don't kiss rings or asses and don't like the taste of boot polish.
OK!

So, if you consider following directions "kissing rings or asses" then contend yourself with not having a non-resident LTC. Outstanding! Obviously, you win.[rolleyes]

A family member of mine went through the process around the time of the election. What stuck out in my mind was how he mentioned how easy to work with MSP was. NR LTC arrived in the mail on 1/4.

I imagine it's a case of don't be a dick, and support your position of being a model citizen as well as a somewhat savvy firearm owner with an emphasis on practicing safety and obeying the law.

A family member of mine went through the process around the time of the election. What stuck out in my mind was how he mentioned how easy to work with MSP was. NR LTC arrived in the mail on 1/4.

I imagine it's a case of don't be a dick, and support your position of being a model citizen as well as a somewhat savvy firearm owner with an emphasis on practicing safety and obeying the law.

Restrictions?

It isn't the MSP you interview with for your non-res LTC.

$100/year, but even having it for one year provides a lifetime of protection for the criminal conviction, provided the LTC was not revoked for a reason other than failure to file a change of address; you have not been denied a renewal; and you have not become a prohibited person.

Except they didn't deal with the MSP. They dealt with FRB employees, who are not police, but civilian employees.

To the OP:
The person handling my application was very specific about asking questions regarding activity that would justify the unrestricted permit. They're looking for something that would put you at a higher risk than the average citizen. Provide them a solid reason and you'll get it. If not, you won't.

Except they didn't deal with the MSP. They dealt with FRB employees, who are not police, but civilian employees.

To the OP:
The person handling my application was very specific about asking questions regarding activity that would justify the unrestricted permit. They're looking for something that would put you at a higher risk than the average citizen. Provide them a solid reason and you'll get it. If not, you won't.
My mistake. For whatever reason I was under the impression it was MSP, and until I was corrected several posts ago discovered that it would have been DCJIS. Excuse the guy who has never had to deal with it for a slight mistake will ya.

I found the folks who interviewed me each time to be great. They seemed to want me to get what I wanted and there were no any issues other than time. Maybe because I am a vet, in business and had 4 letters of reference from state and local police officers saying what a responsible doobie I am.

This year's interview in 2 weeks, probably screwed myself now.

Thanks for the info folks. I have an angle that I think will help, but who knows. From the sound of it, even if I do end up with a restricted, it still provides enough benefits to be worthwhile. I do a lot of snowmobiling and exploring in southern VT close to the MA border, so even having a restricted LTC will be beneficial if I accidentally find myself in MA without knowing it.

Thanks for the info folks. I have an angle that I think will help, but who knows. From the sound of it, even if I do end up with a restricted, it still provides enough benefits to be worthwhile. I do a lot of snowmobiling and exploring in southern VT close to the MA border, so even having a restricted LTC will be beneficial if I accidentally find myself in MA without knowing it.

If it's restricted, be careful how you are transporting on the snowmobile.

I got my unrestricted finally after my 3rd try. The guy interviewing said to say you carry large sums of cash, or that someone has threatened you.

I literally moved about a mile over the border to NH and I been toying with the idea about getting an out of state LTC for MA but honestly the laws are so ridiculous I don't think I will even bother. Think about it, you need to check your gear and make sure it's " OK" for the state and god forbid you ever had to use our gun for self defense regardless of how lawful you might be you will be guilty until proven innocent, yea I think I'm all set with MA and it's bullshit.

If it's restricted, be careful how you are transporting on the snowmobile.

It would be prudent to consult with FRB on if/how they consider that activity with respect to the scope of the restriction which will be applied. They might consider that to be within the scope of one of their restrictions.

Remember, restrictions don't mean, no carry...ever (unless that is how the issuing authority defines a specific restriction). They mean that carry is restricted to the scope of the restrictions.

I would appreciate very much anyone with any current information about wait-time for non-resident Class A ALP. I applied for and was notified by FRB 100 days ago that my packet was in hand and to call if I had not received my permit by then (I let my previous ALP expire in 2009; had it for the better part of 10 consecutive years - yeah, I know - DUMB). In any case, called as instructed to learn on two separate occasions "It'll be out by the end of the week." Right. and I have a bridge, etc. So, anyone with more current info, I'll be grateful.

Back
Top Bottom