MA Non-Resident LTC

Hello everyone!

In my fleeing from CA, I shall be moving to NH, acquiring an NH state CCW, then applying for non-resident permits to attempt to get conceal carry coverage in most parts of the Northeast.

Do I stand a chance, as of 2018 (almost 2019) to be successfully approved for an unrestricted LTC?
What are some licensing quirks that a non-resident may face? I've poked at some older threads on here

I have no worries about getting an FID or restricted LTC, as my record is 100% clean and I have a verifiable history in MA.

Second question as well:
If I maintain a secondary residency in MA at a family member's house, say with my DL being in NH, and a state ID issued in MA, would I be in the legal clear to have a resident LTC while maintaining occasional residency?

Welcome to New England from the land of crazy! When I moved back here, I too went to NH and applied for Ma. Non resident and got the package and filled everything out but this was back in 2002. Everything was done by mail, but I understand there is an interview now. I maintained my Ma. non res license until I moved to Ma. at $100/year. Everything was non restricted and still is for me. All you can do is try and fill everything out to the best of your ability and keep copies! When I mailed in the packet, I used Priority mail so I had tracking. Good luck!

More like returning to MA. I was a resident of MA for my whole 25 year life except for the last 1.5 years. Man, the northeast is just much better than this dump they call CA

Last edited:
My brother in law, who now lives in MA (downtown Boston) but still a resident of Florida just received his non-resident LTC and it's unrestricted! Go figure, Boston of all places. So I have to say that yes, it's possible.

My brother in law, who now lives in MA (downtown Boston) but still a resident of Florida just received his non-resident LTC and it's unrestricted! Go figure, Boston of all places. So I have to say that yes, it's possible.
Boston has no say in NR LTCs, it's done at the state level by FRB.

If one had an unrestricted LTC as a Resident, then moves out and applies for a NR LTC at some later time, the FRB Director has told me that the likelihood of that person receiving an unrestricted NR LTC is very high. For others, you have to have a story as to why you in particular deserve a unrestricted NR LTC.

My buddy from NH just did his. Evidently, there was a misunderstanding between him and a bureaucrat and he was issued restricted despite having no restrictions when he was a resident. He had to provide an addenda with his good cause which, I guess, at the interview they told him he didn't need to submit a reason.

Boston has no say in NR LTCs, it's done at the state level by FRB.

If one had an unrestricted LTC as a Resident, then moves out and applies for a NR LTC at some later time, the FRB Director has told me that the likelihood of that person receiving an unrestricted NR LTC is very high. For others, you have to have a story as to why you in particular deserve a unrestricted NR LTC.

Would I be better off applying for an LTC as a partial year resident, getting unrestricted, then moving to apply for NR LTC, or am I better off crafting a good NR "good cause" statement to include my MA roots, lack of criminal history, possible threats, etc?

Would I be better off applying for an LTC as a partial year resident, getting unrestricted, then moving to apply for NR LTC, or am I better off crafting a good NR "good cause" statement to include my MA roots, lack of criminal history, possible threats, etc?

For Christ sake man, where the hell will you be living? NH or MA? If NH, get the MA non-resident license. If MA, get the resident license. Why is this shit so hard to understand for some people!

In my fleeing from CA, I shall be moving to NH, ...
If I maintain a secondary residency in MA at a family member's house, say with my DL being in NH, and a state ID issued in MA, would I be in the legal clear to have a resident LTC while maintaining occasional residency?

Does the issuing authority in your family member's town
accept "a state ID issued in MA" (whatever that is),
or do they demand a Mass. driver's license?

Does the issuing authority in your family member's town
accept "a state ID issued in MA" (whatever that is),
or do they demand a Mass. driver's license?
Great point, I have no idea and I'll have to look into this. Both towns that my family live in are both "Green" towns from the "Guide to gun rights in MA" thread.

Edit: One town does, One town doesn't, so there's that. I will be spending quite a bit of my off time in those two areas so it seems to work out pretty well

Last edited:
For Christ sake man, where the hell will you be living? NH or MA? If NH, get the MA non-resident license. If MA, get the resident license. Why is this shit so hard to understand for some people!

It's not quite that easy, because a smart person knows how to game the system to keep an MA resident LTC (assuming they can assert some type of residency claim good enough to get an LO to issue a license) which is a lot less of a pain in the ass to deal with, less costly (over the long term) and less likely to get restricted. Of course if the OP has to even ask how to do this, he or she is not likely mentally prepared to do it correctly, so there's that. But given that reality, doing a nonres they're also going to roll over and get boned by chelsea on the nonres.... so there's that... [laugh]

-Mike

he or she
-Mike

First of all sir, I'll have you know I identify as an apache helicopter you racist

In all seriousness, no, I probably don't have the metal preparation to make full use of the law as allowed, to put it lightly. But that's o.k. if I can't go that route. Rather have a restricted LTC and be able to atleast carry into MA to hunt and go to ranges with friends than nothing.

It's not quite that easy, because a smart person knows how to game the system to keep an MA resident LTC (assuming they can assert some type of residency claim good enough to get an LO to issue a license) which is a lot less of a pain in the ass to deal with, less costly (over the long term) and less likely to get restricted. Of course if the OP has to even ask how to do this, he or she is not likely mentally prepared to do it correctly, so there's that. But given that reality, doing a nonres they're also going to roll over and get boned by chelsea on the nonres.... so there's that... [laugh]

-Mike

Build the wall!
[laugh]

Asking for a friend...LOL
Fred owns a business where he has offices in NH and MA; he lives in NH. Fred used to get the renewable NR MA license for $100 annually, but since he maintains a business in a MA locale, can't he apply for a regular license in the MA town where he has his office?

Asking for a friend...LOL
Fred owns a business where he has offices in NH and MA; he lives in NH. Fred used to get the renewable NR MA license for $100 annually, but since he maintains a business in a MA locale, can't he apply for a regular license in the MA town where he has his office?

I believe the license is based on state of residency and does not have anything to do with where you work, or, where you have a business establishment.

I also live in NH, and I also have a business based in MA and registered in MA = I have a MA Non Res LTC.

I believe the license is based on state of residency and does not have anything to do with where you work, or, where you have a business establishment.

I also live in NH, and I also have a business based in MA and registered in MA = I have a MA Non Res LTC.

That's my belief as well, however; I know NH residents who have a place of business in MA, who sought and received a LTC in the town/city where the business is located.

Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to the licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority or the colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person, as set forth in this section, to be issued a license and has good reason to fear injury to the applicant or the applicant's property or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to the restrictions expressed or authorized under this section.

That's my belief as well, however; I know NH residents who have a place of business in MA, who sought and received a LTC in the town/city where the business is located.

Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to the licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority or the colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person, as set forth in this section, to be issued a license and has good reason to fear injury to the applicant or the applicant's property or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to the restrictions expressed or authorized under this section.

Not sure how up to date that is. It appears that wording was back when the MA SP issued non res licenses, and they no longer do so.

So if that would then allow for the submission to Chief of Police, in the town or city where a business has a physical address, then .... you would be subject to the oversight, review and issuance by that local chief, and that could go either way based on their personal preference (red or green town).

At least with a non res LTC, its through the MA Dept. of Public Safety, and is not subject to the personal preference of the local issuing authority.

You believe incorrectly, although licenses based on place of business issued to an out of state resident are probably only slightly more common than hen's teeth. Just because it rarely if ever happens, does not mean it is not allowed.

The issuing authority may issue a license to a resident or a person having a place of business within his/her jurisdiction. You will not find any indication of "resident" on the license. If someone moves and the issuing authority or state does not take affirmative action to expire or revoke the license, it remains valid. (Some self-professed experts will say otherwise and that such licenses algorithmically revoke themselves, but will be unable to cite any statute or case law to this effect).

This may be confounded by issuing authorities refusing to do so, however.

Also, "place of business" means you are the owner or sole proprietor - working for a business in MA does not rise to the required threshold.

Back
Top Bottom