MA non-resident ltc update

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Email today from Mass Firearms School:
Important Change For Non-Resident Mass License Holders

Some great news for those holding a non-resident Massachusetts Firearms License. The Firearms Record Bureau no longer requires an in-person visit every year when it comes time to renew one's non-resident firearms license. Instead, an in-person appearance at the FRB office in Chelsea, MA will only be required every six years.

Non-residents will still need to renew their license annually, however these subsequent applications will be processed solely by mail until the next required in-person appearance. The firearms record bureau has also provided us with a table to calculate when your next in-person will be.

For all renewal applications received in 2017, the next in-person appearance will be as follows:

If your birthday falls between:You will next appear in-person in:
January 1 and April 302020 and every six years therafter
May 1 and August 31
2021 and every six years therafter
September 1 and December 31
2022 and every six years therafter

For all new applications received in 2017 or after, you will be required to appear in-person for your initial application appointment and then every six years thereafter. You will still need to renew your license annually through the mail.

Please call the Firearms Records Bureau at 617.660.4782 with any questions.

Will they issue more unrestricted licenses for non-residents? That would be a nice change...

Old news as of now.

If you held a prior unrestricted resident LTC or give sufficient reasons to differentiate your personal risks, you stand an excellent chance of getting an unrestricted NR LTC. It's been this way for a few years now.

Will they issue more unrestricted licenses for non-residents? That would be a nice change...

Like Len says,

If you moved out of MA "washed" then you will stay "washed" as a nonresident LTC holder if you make that part of your "case".

If you're just some random pud from out of state with no history in the system, you'll probably still get restricted unless you can pull off the necessary dog and pony show, which probably isn't that hard to do if someone has a clue.

-Mike

If you're just some random pud from out of state with no history in the system, you'll probably still get restricted unless you can pull off the necessary dog and pony show, which probably isn't that hard to do if someone has a clue.

-Mike

Yeah I was referring to some random person applying.

Just to clarify the original post: for years it has been the policy of Massachusetts that nonresident Licenses require a personal visit to Chelsea every year. This cumbersome requirement made getting a nonresident Massachusetts license a waste of time for most people.

The change in policy the original post refers to is the doing away with that every year coming to Chelsea requirement. This is a significant benefit for people from the New England area who would like a Massachusetts firearms license.

To the best of my knowledge, I believe all our non-resident students get unrestricted licenses with our help.

My appointment in Chelsea is scheduled for mid-December, where I hope to obtain a NR LTC without restrictions. If I'm reading the OP correctly, if my initial NR permit is dated 12/16 and my first renewal will presumably be in late 2017, then I'll have to make a trip to Chelsea next year, but then every 6 years after that. Do I have that right?

My appointment in Chelsea is scheduled for mid-December, where I hope to obtain a NR LTC without restrictions. If I'm reading the OP correctly, if my initial NR permit is dated 12/16 and my first renewal will presumably be in late 2017, then I'll have to make a trip to Chelsea next year, but then every 6 years after that. Do I have that right?

You will have to make a trip to Chelsea for your initial in December 2016. Your anticipated 2017 renewal should be by mail. Your next trip to Chelsea for a renewal would either be 2020, 2021, or 2022 depending on when your DOB is. (My birthday is in September so I anticipate that my next trip to Chelsea will be in 2022).

Back
Top Bottom