• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Non Resident LTC Training Class Recommendations?

Hello,

My Wife and I are looking to take the mandatory MA LTC Training Class. I have read that the Classes are only conducted in Massachusetts so we are looking for recommendations. We will be traveling up from Maryland to take the class.

I read the class requires live fire so does the trainer provide a firearm to conduct the live fire test?

For what its worth, we know how difficult obtaining a MA Temporary/Non Resident LTC is, but I'm confident we have our bases covered.

We already have permits from MD, D.C., PA, RI, MA, NH, UT, and FL. Our CT permits are in process right now and will arrive soon. We travel for our business and want to maximize our carry options, thus the MA LTC.

If this has been discussed I may have missed it so my apologies. I did a search and didn't come across anything recent.

Thank you for taking the time to read and offer your advice. I always appreciate the advice offered.

Chad

Last edited:
Chad, I-95 goes straight thru MA South to North, so what area near I-95 are you referring to.

Live fire is not required for a NR LTC. For residents, some towns require live fire. When I teach these BFS courses, I include live fire (providing the guns and ammo as part of the course fee) for new shooters or those that live where the PD may require it. For experienced shooters, I would not require them to take the live fire.

Chad, I-95 goes straight thru MA South to North, so what area near I-95 are you referring to.

Live fire is not required for a NR LTC. For residents, some towns require live fire. When I teach these BFS courses, I include live fire (providing the guns and ammo as part of the course fee) for new shooters or those that live where the PD may require it. For experienced shooters, I would not require them to take the live fire.
Len,

I phrased my 95 part poorly. Please disregard that part. I'm going to edit that out.

Good news about the live fire. I appreciate the correction.

If you are accepting clients can I schedule something with you? My wife and I have preformed several live fire and qualifications for the various permits we have if that helps you tailor the training. We are experienced shooters.

Classes we have taken:
  • 14 Hour Maryland Hunter Safety Course with Live Fire (me)/Online Texas Hunter Safety Course (wife).
  • 4 Hour Maryland Handgun Qualification License Course with Live Fire.
  • 16 Hour Maryland Wear and Carry (LTC) Course with Live Fire Qualification.
  • NRA Basic Pistol Course with Live Fire.
  • Utah 4 Hour Concealed Carry Course.
  • Arizona 4 Hour Concealed Carry Course.
  • Washington D.C. 16 Hour Concealed Carry Course with Live Fire Qualification.
  • Rhode Island Live Fire Qualification.

We're a few months away from being able to come to MA for training but are 100% serious about taking a class.

We travel for our business and want to maximize our carry options, thus the MA LTC.
Slightly tangential to the class, and you probably already know this, but you'll need to do an in-person interview in Chelsea, MA as part of the application process (unless they have altered this with COVID stuff, but I doubt it) and the license is $100/year with no grace period.

So while maximizing your carry options is never a bad thing, you may want to weigh how often you might be in MA vs. needing at least two trips to the state (class and appointment for the interview) and the yearly $100 prices. You will also need to return every few years for another in-person interview.

Obviously the calculus changes if you're in MA every three weeks, or something.

Slightly tangential to the class, and you probably already know this, but you'll need to do an in-person interview in Chelsea, MA as part of the application process (unless they have altered this with COVID stuff, but I doubt it) and the license is $100/year with no grace period.

So while maximizing your carry options is never a bad thing, you may want to weigh how often you might be in MA vs. needing at least two trips to the state (class and appointment for the interview) and the yearly $100 prices. You will also need to return every few years for another in-person interview.

Daekken,

Thank you for your advice.

I did read we will have to take two trips. That's ok since we travel to the Northeast often.

Here is how I understand it the process but I'm happy to be corrected:

1) Take MA LTC 002 Class
2) Submit Non Resident LTC Application by mail
3) Wait for the Licensing Division to call and schedule an "in person" interview.
4) Go to interview on scheduled date in Chelsea.
5) Wait 6 months+ for an answer about approval or denial.
6) If approved, start renewal process 6 months before Non Resident LTC expiration. (Won't have to go to Chelsea until my 5th renewal)

Please correct me if I'm off base.

Len,

I phrased my 95 part poorly. Please disregard that part. I'm going to edit that out.

Good news about the live fire. I appreciate the correction.

If you are accepting clients can I schedule something with you? My wife and I have preformed several live fire and qualifications for the various permits we have if that helps you tailor the training. We are experienced shooters.

Classes we have taken:
  • 14 Hour Maryland Hunter Safety Course with Live Fire (me)/Online Texas Hunter Safety Course (wife).
  • 4 Hour Maryland Handgun Qualification License Course with Live Fire.
  • 16 Hour Maryland Wear and Carry (LTC) Course with Live Fire Qualification.
  • NRA Basic Pistol Course with Live Fire.
  • Utah 4 Hour Concealed Carry Course.
  • Arizona 4 Hour Concealed Carry Course.
  • Washington D.C. 16 Hour Concealed Carry Course with Live Fire Qualification.
  • Rhode Island Live Fire Qualification.

We're a few months away from being able to come to MA for training but are 100% serious about taking a class.
I'll send you a PM.

No, they still do the interview. I went thru it last year, mask required, security setup like at the airport.
Daekken,

Thank you for your advice.

I did read we will have to take two trips. That's ok since we travel to the Northeast often.

Here is how I understand it the process but I'm happy to be corrected:

1) Take MA LTC 002 Class
2) Submit Non Resident LTC Application by mail
3) Wait for the Licensing Division to call and schedule an "in person" interview.
4) Go to interview on scheduled date in Chelsea.
5) Wait 6 months+ for an answer about approval or denial.
6) If approved, start renewal process 6 months before Non Resident LTC expiration. (Won't have to go to Chelsea until my 5th renewal)

Please correct me if I'm off base.
1) There are a number of classes to meet the requirement. NRA Home Firearm Safety does not require live fire and is approved and accepted by FRB.
You are correct on the rest of them. FRB will not deny an application if the person has a clean record and meets the statutory requirements. However, they restrict "carrying" unless you have a unique reason that they approve of.

This is as good a place as any to post this...
I recently took a MA certified class and I have a few observations about the trainer. But first, why I took it when I'm technically exempt. Because I had an MA LTC when the training requirement was added, I , along with anyone who already had an LTC was exempt from the requirement. Even though a training class wasn't required I did take the class offered each month by the Worcester PD. Ya, back then the police offered a safety class to civilians.

Anyway, now I'm going for my MA non-res after many years of not having a MA LTC and moving north to a free country. And I figured it's easier to take the class that have to explain that I'm not required.

I'm not going to name him here, or go into his background, which explained a lot, so I apologize if leaving this out make things less clear.

I went into this class figuring the instructor may not know everything, but neither do I, so unless asked I was going to keep my mouth shut. So to be clear, any 2-way conversation was started by him. Which brings up my first criticism. He was more concerned with showing the students they were wrong than providing clear information. He would lay out a scenario and ask his question and the class would respond, And instantly we are told we are wrong because of A and B, which would be "facts" that he did not include in the scenario originally. There were a couple of these and the whole class got real quire after the first one, they notice it too. In the scenario that we talked about further, you are across the street, about 100', away from a guy swinging a sword, acting generally unhinged. He makes eye contact with you, screams "I'm going to f***ing kill you" and runs at you. Do you shoot him? My response "eventually, when he's within 20'" But I'm "wrong". Seemed to check all the boxes to me, clear and imminent threat, a clear intention to kill me, and the means to do so. Heck I was even giving the guy time, as he closed distance to change his mind. But I'm "wrong" because he was going to turn off at 10' and the sword was a fake. HUH? You didn't say that when you laid out the scenario. And sorry but that's not how the law works, and he had made it clear he was talking the law and not the real-world application by the cops.

So that's the scenario side of his poor teaching, now the bullet points:
He repeatedly stated that for a MA resident to carry in a constitutional carry state (Maine, NH, VT) you had to have an LTC from your home state. And if you were a NH resident you had to have a P&R to carry in Maine.
In order for a NH resident to apply for a MA non-res LTC you had to include a copy of you NH P&R (an older couple called him out on this, and I spoke up when he called them wrong. I could have also pointed out that the same Fed court ruling that got NH to stop requiring a home state LTC for non-res P&R would also apply to MA, but I didn't). His response, that must be new.
Referred to the Healey decree as new "law" and that you couldn't own any AR style unless it was a 22lr, or pre-ban.
Said you should never carry with a round in the chamber.
(in after class discussion) he told a student, LTC usually had restriction, I mentioned the SCOTUS ruling and the FRB's statement that they would not be printing restrictions. He claimed to be ignorant of either of these.
(more after class) told a student the non-res was may issue and they could just not issue one. When I mentioned SCOTUS again all he said was he would have to to look into it. (I'm thinking, WHAT!! how do you not know about the biggest court ruling on firearms in decades).

Do I think he'll read this? NO, NES is way to right-wing for him.

So that's my rant, take it or leave it.

I can guess one of two NH MA BFS instructors, but lean very heavily to one in particular. The one I'm thinking of comes across as a know-it-all and arrogant, so I don't discuss training with him.

I am trying to find someone who is a MA certified instructor to give me a private one on one class. one that will be acceptable to obtain my MA permit to carry in the least amount of time.

I am currently a NRA instructor, and certified to instruct LTC classes for Texas, Maryland, Illinois, and Utah.

PM me if you can be of help. I will be in MA. Between October 25th and October 30th.

I am trying to find someone who is a MA certified instructor to give me a private one on one class. one that will be acceptable to obtain my MA permit to carry in the least amount of time.

I am currently a NRA instructor, and certified to instruct LTC classes for Texas, Maryland, Illinois, and Utah.

PM me if you can be of help. I will be in MA. Between October 25th and October 30th.
I can do that for you but it will be up at Londonderry Fish & Game in NH if you want.

However, there is a TX option who is certified to teach it to you in your home state.

BFS00005969 HALLMARK, DOYLE E HIGHLANDS TX [email protected] 10/24/2029

I noticed a list of approved instructors for “virtual” training.

Are these instructors with online classes that I can use to get my MA permit?
looks like they are teaching virtual course for the LTC-002 and 003 classes.

Or was this only effective during Covid?

I believe the Covid motivated virtual option is no longer approved.

If you contact Mass Firearms School (Mass Firearms | Shooting Sports Center in Holliston, MA) I expect they can set something up. MA Firearms is located in Holliston about 20mi west of Boston, are run by decent people, and are dedicated to the cause as well as running a business.

LenS is also an excellent choice - it's all a matter of what option offers the best location. If both of those totally pan out, PM me - I won't charge but would expect a nice donation to my local gun club.

Last edited:
Payment, a donation. Either and or both I am more then happy to do. The quicker and easier it is for me the happier I will be.

It will have to be in October sometime

Back
Top Bottom