MA Non-Res LTC Interview

Today was the big day-- my MA Non-Res LTC interview!! I sent in my paperwork along with the $100 USPS Money Order the middle of July from the Medford PO. About three weeks ago, I received a call to tell me that they would not accept the certificate from the Handgun Safety course I took in FL to get my CCW permit. The application instructions indicated that it was acceptable but I wasn't about to debate the issue with the very nice lady that called. She did say that she would schedule my interview for the first available date - today - and I could take the required MA course and bring the completion certificate with me. So, I went online to fsguns.com and found an instructor nearby, invested another $100 and got my certificate. The instructor enters your info into the FRB computer so that the FRB can check your certificate against the computer to make sure it is legit when you show up for the interview.

I was nervous about the interview after reading some of the earlier posts. The interviewer was friendly and easy to talk with. First step was to do fingerprints with an electronic scanner. He had problems doing my prints. Apparently, with age, fingerprints begin to wear away. Once that was done, he took my picture with a webcam. Next, he went line by line through my application and had me verify the info. I tried not to crack up when he got to the question about "outstanding arrest warrants". I wanted to ask if he had ever had anyone say "yes" but decided that might not be a good idea. He asked why I wanted the permit. I had written 2/3 of a typed page of reasons including every reason anyone had mentioned in any of the posts I had read here.

He said OK and started gathering up my paperwork , telling me that the fingerprints would be forwarded to the FBI for checking and the Dept of Mental Health would be notified of my application. I guess they want to be sure I'm not an escaped loonie. He said I would get the permit in about a month. I asked if it would be unrestricted and he replied that he doesn't make that decision - the director does. He did say that if I got a restriction, I could write a letter to the director stating my good reasons and ask to have it removed.

The bad news is the permit is only good for a year. They don't send out renewal notices. I will have to go through the same application, interview, $100 fee procedure again every summer to keep the permit. The good news is I don't have to redo the safety course.

It's likely I'll be back in FL before I get the permit so I won't get to use it until we're back for the Christmas holidays.

The bottom line is it's a long process and the interview was nothing to worry about.

The instructor enters your info into the FRB computer so that the FRB can check your certificate against the computer to make sure it is legit when you show up for the interview.
Ah, no. The instructor fills out a form that is mailed to the state police firearms unit, but does not enter it into an on-line system for real time checking for validity. You probably saw the instructor enter the info into his/her computer for their records or to generate the printed report for the state. I've been certified as an instructor since Day 1 of the program (literally, not figuratively) and am very familiar with procedure.

The application instructions indicated that it was acceptable but I wasn't about to debate the issue with the very nice lady that called.
If the application implies that a firearms safety course does not need to be Mass certified and taught by a MA certified instructor it is in error. It sounds like the CHSB applied the proper standard in the course when dealing with you, but may have ambiguous or erroneous instructions.

Last edited:
The bad news is the permit is only good for a year. They don't send out renewal notices. I will have to go through the same application, interview, $100 fee procedure again every summer to keep the permit. The good news is I don't have to redo the safety course.

It's likely I'll be back in FL before I get the permit so I won't get to use it until we're back for the Christmas holidays.

The bottom line is it's a long process and the interview was nothing to worry about.

There will come a day when you won't have to do this kind of crap. I am not sure when, but this system will be better at some point in the future. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Back
Top Bottom