• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Non-DFG Lands

Theoretically all state lands are capable of being hunted. I wouldn't want to press local no hunting/discharge of firearms laws. All standard restrictions apply. I chatted with a Civil Engineer that was doing survey work for the state and he told me that whenever property was deeded over to the state, they would eventually do a survey, but it became huntable on the day the deed changed. I can find nothing through a google hunt. Of course if the property was prior posted for no hunting, I'd pass on it, but since the legal post needs to be by the owner......

Private ownership, or non state owned lands, is another animal and falls under local and state laws, some yes, some landowner permission, some just plain no.

Last edited:
State land is open for hunting, fishing, trapping, etc... under the "presumption of openness" thanks to Gov. Bill Weld (remember him?). Basically, Weld declared that unless there was a damn good reason for closure of any of the aforementioned activities, then it was presumed to be open. State Forests are one example of available land and local town by-laws do not apply and are unenforceable on state land. Good Luck.

Numerous towns in my area prohibit all shooting within the towns (except at gun clubs) and regularly harasse hunters who dare to go into the woods. Yes, much of their conservation lands were bought with P-A funds, but those controlling the town neither know or care about the illegality of their actions.

You need to look up and see what the lands are. Some state forests are huntable and others are not. Ditto for federal lands. Unfortunately there isn't a single viewer, that I'm aware of, that shows you every legal hunting area in the state.

Numerous towns in my area prohibit all shooting within the towns (except at gun clubs) and regularly harasse hunters who dare to go into the woods. Yes, much of their conservation lands were bought with P-A funds, but those controlling the town neither know or care about the illegality of their actions.

I'm aware of the various town by-laws, Len. They just do not apply on state land.

I'm aware of the various town by-laws, Len. They just do not apply on state land.

Although I am unaware of any town harrassement on state land around here (state parks - pretty sure they don't allow any shooting there however), I'm referring to towns that have tons of conservation land. Much of it I'm sure was purchased with P-A funds plus town funds. Everytime someone in my town parks by the woods people call the police and they go in and harrasse the hunters, telling them to leave, can't shoot as too close to a school (maybe 1/2 mile or more away), etc. Many of these towns are posted with "no shooting" signs at numerous entry points to the towns.

Back
Top Bottom