MA NFA Form 1 FYI (7/20/16 related)

Hi All,

Resurrecting this, submitted Form 1 Individual SBR paperwork around December of last year for an AR lower. ATF called me twice, once for a copy LTC and second most recently for proof of purchase that this lower was in the state prior to 7/20/16. I couldn't find the receipt Primary Arms apparently doesn't have orders from that time frame since they changed their ordering system, but should have a record of the transfer with my dealer. Just FYI for anyone considering NFA stuff in light the 7/20 malarkey.

Purchased my AR in a private sale years ago, submitted a form 1 last March. Not sure if I have record of the transfer so now what?

What about transfer of stripped lowers from out of state on a 4473 and no eFA10. Cash. No receipt. No copy of 4473.

Why does the ATF care about a 7/20/16 date that is not written into MA law?

The investigator I spoke to said the 4473 would suffice as well. Shawn if you did the private sale on a FA10 that should work as well, but don't quote me on that.

I recently had my form 1 approved and was not asked for any of that.

Although, I did include a copy of my MA LTC, which I think has always been necessary.

What happens if you can’t or won’t produce proof? Rejection?

Someone should file a FOIA request for BATFE’s records of its communications with the AG’s office.

Last edited:
Most people don't save receipts for something like a lower. You don't do any state paperwork because it's not a firearm. The only thing done is a 4473 and then you walk out with your lower. I have one that I have the date, price and who I bought it from but no actual receipt. If I ever need to prove it they can go to the dealer and look it up with that info.

What about transfer of stripped lowers from out of state on a 4473 and no eFA10. Cash. No receipt. No copy of 4473.

Why does the ATF care about a 7/20/16 date that is not written into MA law?

Becaurse there's this horseshit in federal law that in order to get a stamp you have to be compliant with MA law. Of course part of the problem is this AG bullshit isn't law.

I guess a lot of people are going to be doing builds off no name lowers and such now, or at least filing Form-1s in a way that makes it look like it isn't an AR... [rofl]

The whole thing is a farce.

-Mike

ATF sez you must be in compliance with all state and local laws. So, if you ain't in compliance with state and local laws, you will automatically be in violation of Fed law. Fun, right? Jack.

Yeah, but this isn't MA law. It's just an edict from teh POS AG.

This isn't (functionally) much different from the debacle a few years ago where EOPS/FRB/AG? types tried to get the ATF to block trust transfers saying that firearm trusts were not legal in MA. They got their pee pee slapped and the ATF resumed doing the transfers. I'm just not sure that anyone is going to hire an NFA attorney to start waging some war here...

-Mike

What happens if you can’t or won’t produce proof? Rejection?

Someone should file a FOIA request for BATFE’s records of its communications with the AG’s office.

Probably not going to find out much,,, that said, wouldn't be hard to prove that this would not be the first time that the state of massachusetts, in some capacity or another, has INTENTIONALLY LIED to the ATF to try to get them to block something... I'll tell you that much... I'm sure some dipshit in the AGs office has said "the law in massachusetts says" oh wait, no it doesn't!

-Mike

I would love to hear how Healey presented and explained it to BATFE. Or is BATFE hearing about it and interpreting it on their own?

I would love to hear how Healey presented and explained it to BATFE. Or is BATFE hearing about it and interpreting it on their own?

I would bet a chunk of change that that some piece of shit from the state has called them about it by this point. Either the AG or some flack from her office, or a related
person. Or someone from CJIS/EOPS at the "behest" of the AG or something. (particularly given that theres a strong probability that the AGs office is now playing rubby bums with
EOPS where it never really used to before.... )

-Mike

How long are 4473s kept? I wanted to SBR a lower I have that I got at Collectors but they didn’t do an FA10 on it.

Back
Top Bottom