MA - New Turkey Regs coming in 2020!

These are good changes in my opinion.

Next spring if I call in a flock it will be

Boom boom

Instead of boom

We do seemingly have a lot fo turkey. I'm glad they're doing so well. I never seem to get on any birds when hunting though. Admittedly I put zero effort into scouting though.
Ive had some success the last few years. I'll admit not really because of my superior scouting skills. I'm lucky enough to be in possession of a us Army retired ID card which gets me access to fort devens and camp Edwards. Both base training areas are loaded with deer and turkey. I take advantage of the privelage.

A couple of years ago, I had one in Flight hit my right windshield post , then slide across the windshield. Bastard continue to fly away

Ive had some success the last few years. I'll admit not really because of my superior scouting skills. I'm lucky enough to be in possession of a us Army retired ID card which gets me access to fort devens and camp Edwards. Both base training areas are loaded with deer and turkey. I take advantage of the privelage.

What's the process for hunting on Fort Devens? Does range control have a map for hunting zones or anything?

That limit is set by your vehicle insurance.

Someone told me that they hit a turkey and it cost over 7K to fix. 3.5K for air bag replacement.

I had a turkey strike claim assigned to me not too long ago, 495 in Lawrence, hit the windshield, no body damage other than the glass and new wiper arms, but there was glass EVERYWHERE, to the point I paid the shop to take the dashboard out to make sure there was no glass in the defroster ducts, and to take the interior out to clean every square inch.... there were glass shards all the way to the rear package shelf in a 4 door car. I have seen deer and moose hits with less glass damage

What's the process for hunting on Fort Devens? Does range control have a map for hunting zones or anything?
You have to fill out an application with the environmental resource office before the deadline every year. That application is used to run a background check as you'll be accessing dod property. Also any fire arm you hunt with needs to be brought to the fort devens police department and registered with them. You'll need a military or retired military ID to get on post to get to the fort devens police department. Once there they officer on duty will check all your fire arms serial numbers. You will hear back from environmental office around the middle of October regarding what dates they will allow you to hunt. On those days you bring the personally owned fire arms registration card and your environmental resource office paperwork with you to South post. Park on the street in front of the gates prior to 6:30am.....get in the car line there will be upwards of 50-75 cars by opening time. Once they open the gate the devens pd walks the line and checks your fire arm again against your personally owned fire arms card that you previously files with them. Range control then issues you a "training area' that you are allowed to hunt.....it's first come first serve on what training area you get so having knowledge of the base helps. They give you a card with the training area to put in your window when you park in that spot. Don't get caught outside your assigned area......they do the assignments to spread everyone out.

It's a process.....but one I've grown accustomed to. The line outside the gate every year starts to form at midnight so that folks can get the areas they like. Show up much past 3am and your gonna get a shitty spot to hunt. I go every year and it's kind of a family reunion.......all my army buddies are there from years ago.

Turkey season.......they only allow 2 hunters a day because of the no hunter orange.......that's a different application done in March.....they have a lottery to see which applicants get what days. Also have to register the fire arms before a deadline and check them at the fort devens pd.

Last edited:
So no civilians?
Correction. Devens does allow civilians but they need to be a dependant or retired dependant (spouse or child) of the military member. Same process for each dependant......register with environmental office.....register fire arms with devens pd......and they have to hunt with the military member.

Back
Top Bottom