• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA magazine limit/AWB

If there are suddenly no more magazine laws the only people who will want U notch Glock mags are 1. those who cannot afford a new $25 mag and 2. Antique Glock Collectors.

I’ve never heard of the Antique Glock Collector Society. Has anyone else? Maybe they hold monthly meetings at the deli ticket emporium?
Well, I too, have a fair amount invested in pre-ban magazines, but no Glock pre-bans and I don't think I ever paid more than $40 or $45 (with an average cost of more like $25 or $30)... so if I am still alive when magazine capacity limits finally fall in the PRM, it won't be an unmitigated financial disaster. 🤔

Some brave MA souls might want to roll the dice that the ban is going to be lifted, and sell their pre-ban stuff now. Once the ban lifts, go out and buy brand new stuff at a fraction of the price you sold your pre-ban stuff for. Either put the profit in the bank or just use it to buy even more new stuff.

I’m not sure I’d be that brave. But I might consider selling half of it, or whatever I feel is more than I realistically need. And use that profit to buy new stuff if the ban lifts. That’s one way to reduce the financial hit of the immediate depreciation if the ban lifts, and give yourself some liquidity for brand new standard capacity mags or brand new rifles at a fraction of the cost if the ban goes away.

Some brave MA souls might want to roll the dice that the ban is going to be lifted, and sell their pre-ban stuff now.
I think you are forgetting how long the PRM is capable of dragging its feet even after a Federal Appeals Court or SCOTUS decision. Like I said above, even if things started moving on this today, I'm not sure I'd still be alive on the day you'll first be able to legally buy a standard capacity magazine here in Massachusetts. o_O

If there are suddenly no more magazine laws the only people who will want U notch glock mags are 1. those who cannot afford a new $25 mag and 2. Antique Glock Collectors.

I’ve never heard of the Antique Glock Collector Society. Has anyone else? Maybe they hold monthly meetings at the deli ticket emporium?

I've got several second-model U-notch G19 mags. Honestly, I don't see an issue with them. So if/when the mag ban goes away, I'm not tossing mine anywhere. Sure I'll buy 4-5 brandy-new ones for each platform across the board. But getting rid of my old mags??? I'll just keep using them. Odds are the new ones will be passed onto my children still NIB. LOL

Sunk costs. If the mag ban is lifted tomorrow, all it will mean is that I will go out and buy a full combat load of large capacity Glock mags and 30 round Pmags for each pistol and rifle I own, replacing the older pre-ban stuff. I'll still have them around, they just won't get used.

If the AWB gets lifted tomorrow, the only difference for me is that I'll be pushing/drilling out all the pins in stocks on my AR's and Scorpion. Not terribly life changing, but still worth it in my book.

I think the odds of either happening are pretty long...

I've a number of pre-ban hi-caps (standard to me) in AR, AK and FNFAL patterns, mostly 20 rounders (my preferred). I don't really use them as most of my groups are done in either 5 or ten round shots so I just take the 10 round mags with me and probably will continue to do so until they fall apart. I will say their nice to have as a hedge and I won't be getting rid of them and as I've been on a micro 9 kick lately, it would be nice to bring them up to their full 13-15 round capacities.

One other thing I'd like to see go away by way of "in common use" is the compliant listing. There are a few guns available in most other states but not here that I'd like to get.

If there are suddenly no more magazine laws the only people who will want U notch glock mags are 1. those who cannot afford a new $25 mag and 2. Antique Glock Collectors.

I can't see anyone wanting a U notch... they are really really shitty magazines.

Some brave MA souls might want to roll the dice that the ban is going to be lifted, and sell their pre-ban stuff now. Once the ban lifts, go out and buy brand new stuff at a fraction of the price you sold your pre-ban stuff for. Either put the profit in the bank or just use it to buy even more new stuff.

I’m not sure I’d be that brave. But I might consider selling half of it, or whatever I feel is more than I realistically need. And use that profit to buy new stuff if the ban lifts. That’s one way to reduce the financial hit of the immediate depreciation if the ban lifts, and give yourself some liquidity for brand new standard capacity mags or brand new rifles at a fraction of the cost if the ban goes away.
I have tried very hard to avoid paying the common prices for preban mags. I bought as many AR for under $25 as I could, AK were like $16, VZ58 were $17, Glock 40 were $30, etc. If they weren’t available at those prices (within like 30-50% of free state new mag pricing) I just didn’t buy.

Now that I have a bunch I would much rather sell them at cost or even gift them to a new gun owner to enhance local gun ownership/culture. I considered selling my “excess” here at MA gun store prices but I just couldn’t live with myself if I did that.

I know that makes me unusual but whatever.

One other thing I'd like to see go away by way of "in common use" is the compliant listing. There are a few guns available in most other states but not here that I'd like to get.
States can regulate commerce so the list even though it's complete BS will be around for a while.
Home state rule will likely fall faster making the list useless

This is a fools errand, because for most people it involves amounts of money not likely at life changing levels. This aint like selling a pre86 M16 sear and then having the mg ban drop a month later and you lose 28 grand on one gun. For most people a bunch of mags is peanuts. Even overpriced pweeeban nonsense.

I've basically told my friends that if i ever start talking pweeban economic nonsense they should just shoot me, because its either an imposter or some mind control program in place.

I have tried very hard to avoid paying the common prices for preban mags. I bought as many AR for under $25 as I could, AK were like $16, VZ58 were $17, Glock 40 were $30, etc. If they weren’t available at those prices (within like 30-50% of free state new mag pricing) I just didn’t buy.

Now that I have a bunch I would much rather sell them at cost or even gift them to a new gun owner to enhance local gun ownership/culture. I considered selling my “excess” here at MA gun store prices but I just couldn’t live with myself if I did that.

I know that makes me unusual but whatever.

Best way is junk bins a couple states away from MA. Most pweeban is considered trash everywhere else. Of course with flipper culture and aribitrage gone full retard you have a lot of competition.

States can regulate commerce so the list even though it's complete BS will be around for a while.
Home state rule will likely fall faster making the list useless

“In common use” 2a protections would preempt any state regulations on commerce, at least the whitelist.

“In common use” 2a protections would preempt any state regulations on commerce, at least the whitelist.
You can keep and bear them...
It's easier to fight the home state rule being overly restrictive given the centralized administration of background checks which would help a much larger population of people than just Massachusetts

Best way is junk bins a couple states away from MA. Most pweeban is considered trash everywhere else. Of course with flipper culture and aribitrage gone full retard you have a lot of competition.
Yeah I did the online version of that, hitting up mag collectors and other people with lots of old stuff and buying their “junk”. Eventually word must have gotten out because there were other MA guys in there asking around, even a MA FFL or two. It stopped being worthwhile as soon as everyone started buying guns in summer 2020.

And yes I would make at most a few grand reselling them. It’s really not worth it. No sell only buy.

Ideally, if the mag limit was thrown out nationally, magazines (at least OEM variety) should see a price reduction as firearms manufacturers experience a reduction in cost by only having to produce a single "standard" capacity mag for each gun.

Doubt, as it is now there are like 9000 times more normal mags produced vs cripples. They just (often) charge the cripple buyers slightly more money for the privilege.

Ideally, if the mag limit was thrown out nationally, magazines (at least OEM variety) should see a price reduction as firearms manufacturers experience a reduction in cost by only having to produce a single "standard" capacity mag for each gun.
NIB G19 mag is $22. Unless you want vintage mags. Lol

How is one supposed to tell if a kalasnikov magazine is preban?

There are like 2 members here not corrently posting that could probably tell about 80% of the time.

The problem is there are like, MILLIONS of those things. good luck getting provenance. It's an AK mag. It'd be like dating a butter knife. There are millions of butter knives.

There are like 2 members here not corrently posting that could probably tell about 80% of the time.

The problem is there are like, MILLIONS of those things. good luck getting provenance. It's an AK mag. It'd be like dating a butter knife. There are millions of butter knives.
Is this the thread to post a photo? I'd like some help if possible.

How is one supposed to tell if a kalasnikov magazine is preban?
You're not. That's the goal of the law.

Some are easy to tell if they are post-ban. For example, Glock magazines made for the ambi mag release are all post-ban. Trying to figure out whether an unmarked square notch is pre or post ban is a mystery.

You sure about that? I didn’t think 10+ Round mags from China were legal for import since like 89. If you’re talking Korean mags then you’re 100% correct.
Who knows? I'm old. I could be wrong on the country (China vs. Korea). But if your favorite NH or RI dealer has brand new looking shipping boxes filled with brand new looking AK mags stamped "Made in XXXX"... I suggest caution in thinking they will pass for pre-bans in Massachusetts. I don't recall any true pre-ban AK magazine stamped "Made in..." anywhere. If I am wrong about that, someone please let me know.

@Venturini556 It’s very hard to tell from the picture.

The bottom one seems to be a bog-standard Cold War Eastern European mag, so impossible to prove but effectively preban, 99% of such mags are.

The top one is very likely from Yugoslavia or a successor country. I can’t tell from the picture. It looks like it’s in new condition and has black paint. Most of my pre-1992 Yugo military mags are in rougher shape, smell like cosmoline, and are blued not painted. I would suspect it is from Croatia and has a good chance of being postban. What are the markings on it? Does it hold open on the last round?

China also made some mags with that same pattern on the bottom, so it could be Chinese. If it doesn’t have last round bolt hold open that is a hint that it might be Chinese. Which would mean it’s preban if it is.

If you scratch it up a little bit, throw it onto concrete a few times, probably nobody will suspect it is postban unless it says Made in Croatia or something obvious like that.

The problem is that there are new mags that look like the top one, and from your picture I can’t definitively say it isn’t one of these. This manufacturer (Aquaestil) was founded in 1998: https://palmettostatearmory.com/unissued-croatian-30rd-steel-ak-47-magazine-black.html

Last edited:
Who knows? I'm old. I could be wrong on the country (China vs. Korea). But if your favorite NH or RI dealer has brand new looking shipping boxes filled with brand new looking AK mags stamped "Made in XXXX"... I suggest caution in thinking they will pass for pre-bans in Massachusetts. I don't recall any true pre-ban AK magazine stamped "Made in..." anywhere. If I am wrong about that, someone please let me know.
I have mags marked Made In China. Polytech used to sell guns with these back in the 1980s. Chinese AK mags were banned from import on 5/27/1994, so it’s definitely preban.

I think in general you are correct, Made In X is what gets printed by capitalists selling internationally. Pre-Berlin-Wall-Fall mags were not produced to be sold.

The croatians did not manufacturer those. All the manufacturing for small arms of Yugoslav National Army was done in serbia. During the beginnings of the war, Croatia smuggled in Hungarian Small Arms to use against the Serb controlled Yugoslav National Army because Croatia did not have a serious manufacturing capability at that time for a large amount of small arms. Croatia currently fields a firearm that takes stanag mags, and just recently produce those AK mags for commercial export
Okay. So there are military surplus mags that are preban, and recent commercial mags that are postban. They share a similar design but were made in different factories. That makes sense.

As long as OP’s mags don’t say Made In Croatia it’s likely they are the surplus, preban kind then.

Yeah they use the VHS rifle don’t they. Not an AK of any type.

Back
Top Bottom