MA LTC Interview

Where can I get some of the "superior training" I observed a couple of weeks ago where a Mass State Trooper was handling his pistol with a mag inserted while I was down range bringing a target stand in? Does said training make you blind and deaf so that you can't see flashing lights and ringing alarms?

Or are the safety rules another exemption we should grant LEOs due to their superior training?

Some cops are stupid and some are a-holes... I'm not denying that. It's the same with any profession. My comment is that LEO are likely ("arguably" likely) to have superior training over the average guy on the street. For some reason there appear to be guys on this forum who don't have much respect for LEO (just look at some of the comments on this thread). Not really sure where that comes from or how that helps the cause. These guys/ladies have to confront situations all the time that I wouldn't want my kids to have to deal with... particularly traffic related situations, where every other driver is texting or unfit to be operating a vehicle. For that they get my respect until they prove (like the example you cited above) that they don't deserve it.

WTF is with you guys? I asked a simple question and get attacked.

I included info about being former LEO because my understanding is that obtaining a CCW permit in MA requires a reason that you are requesting a non-restriction. I felt that was a reason to substantiate a non-restricted CCW. Wasn't looking for preferential treatment.

I do qualify under LEOSA however obtaining a "retired" ID card is required. I served an aggregate of ten or more years but because I did not "retire" with a full 20 year tenure on the job, my department policy is to not issue an ID, therefore not fulfilling the obligation under LEOSA.
Welcome and Buy a Glock [smile] .... Oh wait you might already have one,..because LEO.

Some cops are stupid and some are a-holes... I'm not denying that. It's the same with any profession. My comment is that LEO are likely ("arguably" likely) to have superior training over the average guy on the street. For some reason there appear to be guys on this forum who don't have much respect for LEO (just look at some of the comments on this thread). Not really sure where that comes from or how that helps the cause. These guys/ladies have to confront situations all the time that I wouldn't want my kids to have to deal with... particularly traffic related situations, where every other driver is texting or unfit to be operating a vehicle. For that they get my respect until they prove (like the example you cited above) that they don't deserve it.
You still don't get it. This has nothing to do with lack of respect for LEO. I have plenty of respect for what they do. I feel LEO should get no preferential treatment when it comes to a recognized 2a right for a citizen to own and carry a fire arm. That does not mean I don't respect them. Police are citizens just like you and I. Furthermore, giving leo preferential treatment with gun regulations and laws is not only unfair to citizens.....it is inflammatory to the spirit of the 2a by giving the gov a leg up on everyone else.
To put it in perspective......I'm a retired army officer....25 years.....when mass passed the last round of gun control crap that gave an exemption for veterans on the mandatory safety class.....I WAS AGAINST IT! Gun laws should have no preferences for vets or cops or anyone. I practice what I f***ing preach.

Get it?

Last edited:
You still don't get it. This has nothing to do with lack of respect for LEO. I have plenty of respect for what they do. I feel LEO should get no preferential treatment when it comes to a recognized 2a right for a citizen to own and carry a fire arm. That does not mean I don't respect them. Police are citizens just like you and I. Furthermore, giving leo preferential treatment with gun regulations and laws is not only unfair to citizens.....it is inflammatory to the spirit of the 2a by giving the gov a leg up on everyone else.
To put it in perspective......I'm a retired army officer....25 years.....when mass passed the last round of gun control crap that gave an exemption for veterans on the mandatory safety class.....I WAS AGAINST IT! Gun laws should have no preferences for vets or cops or anyone. I practice what I f***ing preach.

Get it?
BOOM ! lots of Respect !

26af247271d2437f5435fb692c5265664acb198e6e5f371b544c674840143078.jpg

Sadly we have a bunch of cop-haters on NES and they have chased away almost all LEOs who registered here and identified themselves as such.

But what I find totally hypocritical in this particular thread is the fact that there are probably 100+ threads on NES asking "what can I say/write so I can get an unrestricted LTC". Just regular folks trying to get a "privilege" (MA does not recognize the US Constitution!) . . . carrying a handgun rather than merely possessing it. But when a LEO asks that question, the haters come out of the woodwork.

As for why a LEO may be at higher risk then Joe Citizen . . . anyone who works in the "system" (LEO, DA, ADA, judge, CO) and is involved in criminal cases putting perps behind bars (or keeping them there - COs) is at risk since some of those perps have "long memories" and a yearning for revenge. As a MA Comm'r of Corrections once told me many years ago "every one of those lifers in Walpole will eventually be released back on the street"! That's a real hard and cold fact of life in MA! And they will remember the names and faces of those that sent them there. Now with social media and extensive ability to find anyone via the Internet, those folks that work in the "system" can't really hide and are in much higher jeopardy.

I also wish that all we (ALL) needed was the 2nd Amendment . . . that nobody needed a permission slip, extra reasons, letters of recommendation, doctor's letters, etc. but that is not the society that we live in within MA! So damn near each person on NES tries to play the system to their personal benefit whether they want to admit it or not.

Received mine on 5/14/19 (2nd year for no interview requirement) = Mailed paper work in on 2/12/19.

So that's approx. 3 months turn around.

It sounds to me like there are some people, who feel like they are being persecuted, that are lashing out at someone whom they may feel were part of the persecuting group. I agree that everyone should be equal, get the same treatment as everyone else, and have to wait in line until it is their turn. HOWEVER . . . There are people in certain groups who get preferential treatment in certain situation (aka: Professional Courtesy, good ole boy network, Whatever), it is not right (to me) it should not happen, but it does. Getting butt hurt, pissed off, screaming and yelling, and nasty about it does not change that (that is hard for me too . . . I am tired of it). Then there are others who feel they are more entitled than others. The ones who wait to the last inch to merge, or cut lines at the store. Those people should be issued entitlement cards with their ugly mugs on the front and on the back the reason for their entitlement *a**h****

To the question . . . For LTC-A Unrestricted (resident) renewal it took about 18 weeks from First contact with PD to interview to license pick-up. I was warned in OCT 2018 to start my renewal ASAP for Feb. expiration. Reason was the number of new licenses applications being submitted.

It sounds to me like there are some people, who feel like they are being persecuted, that are lashing out at someone whom they may feel were part of the persecuting group. I agree that everyone should be equal, get the same treatment as everyone else, and have to wait in line until it is their turn. HOWEVER . . . There are people in certain groups who get preferential treatment in certain situation (aka: Professional Courtesy, good ole boy network, Whatever), it is not right (to me) it should not happen, but it does. Getting butt hurt, pissed off, screaming and yelling, and nasty about it does not change that (that is hard for me too . . . I am tired of it). Then there are others who feel they are more entitled than others. The ones who wait to the last inch to merge, or cut lines at the store. Those people should be issued entitlement cards with their ugly mugs on the front and on the back the reason for their entitlement *a**h****

To the question . . . For LTC-A Unrestricted (resident) renewal it took about 18 weeks from First contact with PD to interview to license pick-up. I was warned in OCT 2018 to start my renewal ASAP for Feb. expiration. Reason was the number of new licenses applications being submitted.
There may be a few getting "butt hurt" but for the most part I think you are wrong. I think it's more about a government organization being honest and following the law. There is also some disagreement about what the law should be and, of course, many have an issue when additional requirements, no matter how small, are arbitrarily added to what the law requires.

WTF is with you guys? I asked a simple question and get attacked.

I included info about being former LEO because my understanding is that obtaining a CCW permit in MA requires a reason that you are requesting a non-restriction. I felt that was a reason to substantiate a non-restricted CCW. Wasn't looking for preferential treatment.

I do qualify under LEOSA however obtaining a "retired" ID card is required. I served an aggregate of ten or more years but because I did not "retire" with a full 20 year tenure on the job, my department policy is to not issue an ID, therefore not fulfilling the obligation under LEOSA.

Welcome to the internet.

A follow-up to this thread from way back when.

Today marks day 96 since my interview for an out of state LTC. I was advised that it would be printed today or tomorrow and the mailed.

A little longer than I had expected, but I'll know to submit my renewal about six months early.

As for why a LEO may be at higher risk then Joe Citizen
What about Jane citizen who works in a very urban area, would rate "not guilty" in any NES jury polling; and has to travel to or from work at o'dark thirty? Or the older urban dweller who needs new hips or knees but can't afford them and can only afford to live in a high crime area?

Any idea what the statistical risk is of an off duty cop in top physical shape vs. a 100lb female? Is the chances of the unarmed off duty cop getting Wal-poled higher or lower than the college student with a body that has hardly begun to experience the ravenges of time; sun exposure and pre-packaged food?

Those are questions, not statements. Assuming it is the off duty cop to be at higher risk would appear to be an a-priori assumption designed to drive a desired conclusion rather than the result of statistical analysis.

Oh, and why is it OK to tell females to walk in groups but tell off duty cops to just carry their gun just in case? Why not just tell off duty cops not to walk alone at night? Another question deserving answer.

What about Jane citizen who works in a very urban area, would rate "not guilty" in any NES jury polling; and has to travel to or from work at o'dark thirty? Or the older urban dweller who needs new hips or knees but can't afford them and can only afford to live in a high crime area?

Any idea what the statistical risk is of an off duty cop in top physical shape vs. a 100lb female? Is the chances of the unarmed off duty cop getting Wal-poled higher or lower than the college student with a body that has hardly begun to experience the ravenges of time; sun exposure and pre-packaged food?

Those are questions, not statements. Assuming it is the off duty cop to be at higher risk would appear to be an a-priori assumption designed to drive a desired conclusion rather than the result of statistical analysis.

Oh, and why is it OK to tell females to walk in groups but tell off duty cops to just carry their gun just in case? Why not just tell off duty cops not to walk alone at night? Another question deserving answer.
We've hashed this out before. More equal.

Another one I "ponder" is why cops and police unions support stiffer jail terms for "cop killers". Why is a police officers life worth more than mine....my wife's.....or my children's. I've been told by cops it's a "deterrent" from shooting at a cop. My response is well hell.....if it deters crims from shooting at cops why don't we just apply the same stiffer penalties to shooting at any human being? That's usually when said police officer (I served with a few in the national guard) labels me a cop hater. I'm not a cop hater. It's a Nobel profession. I just believe in equal treatment under the law.

We've hashed this out before. More equal.

Another one I "ponder" is why cops and police unions support stiffer jail terms for "cop killers". Why is a police officers life worth more than mine....my wife's.....or my children's. I've been told by cops it's a "deterrent" from shooting at a cop. My response is well hell.....if it deters crims from shooting at cops why don't we just apply the same stiffer penalties to shooting at any human being? That's usually when said police officer (I served with a few in the national guard) labels me a cop hater. I'm not a cop hater. It's a Nobel profession. I just believe in equal treatment under the law.

I could not have said it any better. Every friggin time I have to hear some politician say death penalty for cop killers I get pissed off that this message tells the rest of us that our lives are less valuable than cops lives. NO, all our lives are valuable such that ANYONE who kills a fellow citizen with malice needs to get the death penalty.

I could not have said it any better. Every friggin time I have to hear some politician say death penalty for cop killers I get pissed off that this message tells the rest of us that our lives are less valuable than cops lives. NO, all our lives are valuable such that ANYONE who kills a fellow citizen with malice needs to get the death penalty.

Yeah death penalty for cop killers is like hate crimes - PC nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom