MA LTC Holder target shooting in Vermont

I was wondering where a good place in southern vermont, like londonderry, jamaica, newfane etc to go shooting legally. Is there any shooting ranges that accept the MA LTC??

there are NO permits needed in VT for rifle or handguns, CCW or exposed, resident or non resident.

VT is probably the most gun friendly state in the nation.

You might not even need a drivers license. Ma ltc is more or less useless outside of ma.

It's not quite that useless in: Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Vermont, as you can carry concealed in those states with your Mass. LTC.

(this list also includes those states - like Vermont - where no CC license is needed at all)

I have relatives in VT (upper northern kingdom) and have gone shooting with them. VT doesn't care just about anything gun related after coming from Mass. I've purchased ammo to bring back to Mass, gone shooting at ranges, and almost purchased a very sweet coach shotgun (backed out last minute due to price) and they could have cared less that at the time I didn't have my MA LTC yet. (that also scared me a little, but my father in law said he'd purchase it for me, but still didn't have the $$$)

I've watched the in-law's neighbors shooting their rifles and handguns over on their own property and no one even raise an eyebrow (granted, their idea of a 'yard' is a BIT bigger than most ours..*laugh*, and I've been in many bars, stores and restaurants where the guy next to me was open carrying, just a whole different culture up there.*

Are you looking for a range (pistol or rifle), or hunting (shooting legally) up in VT? By yourself or with a resident and I'll ask the relatives when I see them over xmas what they recomend (some ranges I've been to are open, but must have a VT resident...granted they've been little more than pits setup in someone's personal property, but hey, a range is a range...)

Here's a good matrix of VT ranges: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Vendors_and_Sources/Shooting_Ranges_in_Vermont.pdf

although I've found that many of the ones not 'public' if you call/email them that you're going to be in the area, will let you shoot as a guest. (I'm actually going to be joining one just because they've been kind enough to let me shoot when I've been up there)

*I had just walked in a small bar just outside of Lyndonville killing some time (good micro brew place up there) and noticed someone's pistol sticking out of their shirt. I was next to them and mentioned that they should check their six as they were showing (this was before I even considered getting my MA LTC), and they reached back, felt the handle and said 'Thanks...I hate when my shirt covers up my handle'. Everyone laughed at first but started to talk to me (weirdest icebreaker I ever had)...after about 10 minutes, I had more offers to give me permission to hunt on their land, go out and shoot their guns (just meet them at their house and shoot off the back porch), and unknown to me at the time, probably my best offer to purchase some handguns from one of the patron's father who had just moved back to Mass, and wanted to sell off his equipment. (My uncle has since taught me better as some of the pieces are not that common).

So what yous are trying to say is I can pretty much go into the woods where I know is away from civilization and any chance of people being around and I can do some shooting?

So what yous are trying to say is I can pretty much go into the woods where I know is away from civilization and any chance of people being around and I can do some shooting?

Your biggest issue would be if you happened to be on private land and the land owner had an issue. I can't speak for your area (southern VT) specifically, but I've been practicing with a rifle several time out in the woods, and asking the shop where I got the ammo, they would tell me 'go out to x area and shoot away' or ' you can turn off on rt 5 and there's a nice field for shooting, just stop off at the house and let them know your out there).

Most of the ammo shops can tell/point you at the 'we don't care' areas if that's what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom