ma ltc expired need advice pls.

hi my ma ltc expired back in 1997 My firearms have been locked up in the house even since. I would like to renew my ltc. When I apply at my local police station, will I be fined and my firearms confiscated? My ltc has never been denied, revoked, or suspended. Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated....thanks

hi my ma ltc expired back in 1997 My firearms have been locked up in the house even since. I would like to renew my ltc. When I apply at my local police station, will I be fined and my firearms confiscated? My ltc has never been denied, revoked, or suspended. Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated....thanks
u need to have someone that is licensed hold your guns until u can get things resolved.

1) find a trusted friend with a MA LTC A and have them hold the guns for you.

2) re-apply, keep your mouth shut about having guns even if a friend has them

3) If you have no friends in MA get them to NH to a friend or rent a storage locker

Attorney and delete post

Why does he need a Lawyer?

What is the lawyer going to do for him, especially when the potential client says he is in technical violation of several laws that can cost him significant fines, potential jail time, and huge legal fees.

again... easiest fastest low cost solution, find a friend with a LTC to hold them

second easiest ... get them out of state quietly

Just be quiet and renew, don't say shit. You picked a hell of a time to renew. I take pp or venmo, i just saved you 200-500 bucks.

Curious the story of how this happened.
I'm sure that there many people who fall into this situation. Some from the old "good unless revoked" times, and others who just fell out of the sport and neglected to keep up on their permits.

Good advice above. Follow it. Good luck.

1) find a trusted friend with a MA LTC A and have them hold the guns for you.

2) re-apply, keep your mouth shut about having guns even if a friend has them

3) If you have no friends in MA get them to NH to a friend or rent a storage locker
Thanks for the advice. Can my friend with the ltc just hold them or do i legally transfer them to him. Thanks again

Thanks for the advice. Can my friend with the ltc just hold them or do i legally transfer them to him. Thanks again
Wonder if it would be a poor idea for someone without the "right in MA" to own should have a recorded transfer

Just be quiet and renew, don't say shit. You picked a hell of a time to renew. I take pp or venmo, i just saved you 200-500 bucks.
Posssession with an expired LTC is NOT a criminal offense (look it up), at most it is strictly a $$ fine! And it is not usually enforced except if the person talks themselves into it or a PD has a hair across their ass for you.

If you are still nervous, have a trusted friend hold them for you. NO transfers desired or required. And regarding the reply to give them to an FFL to hold for you, that FFL will NOT be legally allowed to give you back any handgun not on the EOPS List and AG Regs approved nor will you ever get back any AR or AK due to the AG's memo . . . so NOT a good idea!

Mike is right, just apply and keep your mouth shut. You might ask Mike to delete the thread.

Your friend with the LTC can legally hold them for you, there is no need to transfer, and if you did transfer it would have to be at a FFL

If for some reason you are denied a renewal/new issuance, you would have the option to sell them to a licensed person in state at a FFL, out of state sales are another topic for another day.

And Len is correct, it is not a criminal offense, but it can be a reason for denial on suitability grounds, in addition to any fines/legal fees.

Posssession with an expired LTC is NOT a criminal offense (look it up), at most it is strictly a $$ fine! And it is not usually enforced except if the person talks themselves into it or a PD has a hair across their ass for you.
While OP needed advice, I think it's arguable that he's gonna talk himself into trouble.

If so, his minimum prep work is for a friend to come over and borrow all the guns,
all the ammo, all the magazines,
and quite possibly all of the accessories like scopes, gun cases, etc.
To come over, because
if OP can't keep his mouth shut,
a simple "I drove my guns over to my friend's house"
instead of "someone came to my house and borrowed my guns"
is enough to get the trouble started.

And if OP can't keep from talking himself into trouble,
having a buddy from a free state come over to borrow them,
is even better.

ETA: Bad advice; interstate loans must be for sporting porpoises.

Here's a Field Loquaciousness Test.

If OP can watch the entire video,
and at no time feel the urge to Answer Questions,
then he may be good to go.
If at any point OP feels an irresistible compulsion to Answer a Question,
then stop screwing around and have some individual take 'em out of state.

ETA:
The point is not to act like an idiot when submitting the renewal.
The point is not even to stonewall random questions during the process.
The point is to STFU and not volunteer info to screw yourself.

It's a powerful compulsion for anyone.
Situational awareness is key.

Last edited:

If you are still nervous, have a trusted friend hold them for you. NO transfers desired or required. And regarding the reply to give them to an FFL to hold for you, that FFL will NOT be legally allowed to give you back any handgun not on the EOPS List and AG Regs approved nor will you ever get back any AR or AK due to the AG's memo . . . so NOT a good idea!

Mike is right, just apply and keep your mouth shut. You might ask Mike to delete the thread.

"...unless the person themselves talks themselves into it..."

Repeat that a few more times. And consider an attorney.

Lens words are why I still keep proof of my LTC-A, from MA, even though I have only driven through once or twice a year for the last five years at most.

If the laws are donkey balls crazy, you need to act a bit mental to improve your chances of not getting bound up.

There is so much bad advice in this thread. New England Ballistics bonded warehouse? Jesus Christ.

OP - just apply for your new LTC. It's that simple. You've stored your guns with friends since it expired so you have nothing to worry about.

I don't know of anyone applying for an LTC or renewing(including expired), that has been asked if they currently own any guns.
my 2 cents

What is the lawyer going to do for him, especially when the potential client says he is in technical violation of several laws that can cost him significant fines, potential jail time, and huge legal fees.
Possession on an expired LTC is civil, not criminal, unless the subject has been denied a renewal; become a PP, or had the LTC revoked for reason other than failure to file change of address.

But, if the above about "potential jail time" was true, that would be a reason to engage an attorney, not a reason to conclude one can do nothing.

if you're really worried about it. have a friend with LTC come pick them up and store them. Go apply for a renewal, but my guess is that you may need to retake a class since your current license expired that long ago

If you live on the south shore. I’ll store them for you for nothin more than the promise of a couple boxes of 9mm sometime in 2021...You know what they say about strangers on the interwebs though.

Back
Top Bottom