• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma LTC carrying in RI for a competition

Coyote Whiskey

NES Member
Hi All,
I am a MA resident with a MA LTC and have gone to RI to for Cowboy Action Shooting matchs at the club in Manville, RI. Based on RI law this is OK because we are attending a match at a legal range.

I have also stared Cowboy Mounted shooting, which uses SA 45s, shooting at ballons as you ride a horse. The ammo used is blanks and have a range of approximately 20 ft. And to date our matches have been in MA, CT, and NH at facilities where LTC holders from that state have been attending.

Our club has made arrandements with a horse facility (not a firearms range) in RI to have a new shooters clinic ( how to shoot off of horses) in RI. Most of the folks attending will be from MA and I don't believe there will be any shooters from RI.

Question is can the MA shooters bring and use firearms into RI and use them on private property without breaking the law.

I appreciate you help.

Thanks

CW

Scrivener is a member of the MA Bar so, once you have checked all threads and verified that this subject has not been covered, you could ask him.

LTC RI

Well I searched and I couldn't find anything.
I guess the real question is - Can a LTC in Ma bring a pistol into RI to fire on private property (with the owners permission), when no other RI LTC is around.?
Thanks
CW

Here is what I found for you. The only thing I would question is the BOLD part

§ 11-47-10 License or permit not required to carry to target range.
TITLE 11
Criminal Offenses
CHAPTER 11-47
Weapons
SECTION 11-47-10

§ 11-47-10 License or permit not required to carry to target range. – No license or permit shall be required for the purpose of carrying or transporting any pistol or revolver from one's home or place of business to a bona fide target practice range, nor from a bona fide target practice range to one's home or place of business, to engage in any shoot meet, or practice, provided that the pistol or revolver is broken down, unloaded and carried as openly as circumstances will permit, or provided that the pistols or revolvers are unloaded and secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose.
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/INDEX.HTM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom