MA LTC-A to CT for Competitions

Can a Mass Shooter with a MA LTC-A bring his handguns into CT for competitions ( like IDPA or Cowboy ).

I read a lot of threads and it doesn't seem like it !!!!

You are covered under CT Law...just keep in unloaded and in your trunk..

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions,taking part in formal pistol or revolver training,repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

Last edited:
CT Laws

Thanks, for the help. I've always done that. After reading some of the threads, it got confusing.

I've been to a LOT of competitions in CT over the last 20+ years and never worried about it.

huh. Good question. I've done the S&W winter nationals for years. Since the AWB expired in 04 I sold all my hi-cap pre-ban glock mags to people in MA and bought new hi-caps. Hmm.

In the literature they give to match participants, they've never mentioned anything about this. I realize this is not definitive, but it will probably be impossible to get a definitive answer.

I had a similar question re a 3 gun match I went to at West Point in NY. I planned to bring two dozen P-mags all pre-loaded for the match. A friend of mine reminded me no hi-caps in NY. So I had to borrow some pre-ban hi-cap GI style mags from a friend in Norwood MA. I eventually called the NY state police for an answer. The guy laughed. He said he had better things to do than try to trap competitors leaving West Point.

Yes the letter of the law and what is chosen to be enforced is always different.

I travel to MA regularly to shoot in competition, I usually just bring the registration form etc just in case.

Provided your AR is not considered to be an AW by CT law, then you don't need any permits in CT to posses a rifle. (which is what an AR is considered)

In other words, there are no requirements for anyone to posses a rifle in CT. Provided you are not a disqualified person (felony, domestic violence, etc) nothing is required.
The gun does not need to be locked or in the trunk. The only restriction is that it can not be loaded.

In other words, if you want to bring an AR into CT, provided its not an AW by ct statute, you are dealing with a state with essentially no restrictions other than the fact that it can't be loaded in the car.

Don

Back
Top Bottom