MA License Restrictions

The proper solution to the restriction issue is NOT necessarily to pressure places like Brookline to rollover, since that's a game of whackamole.

The FRB has already made changes in response to the legal environment:

1. It updated their system to include nationality and naturalization # to their database (not sure if any of this is displayed on the LTC)
2. It changed "Reason for Issuance" when the ambiguity of "Reason for issuance" was raised

So:

- As a stopgap measure, the FRB should issue all LTCs with "Restrictions: None" until they can have the software modified to remove this restriction from the LTC
- Remove the restrictions from the MIRCS license issuance portal and, as an interim measure, inform PDs that all submissions will be processed as "Restrictions: None" no matter what is selected
- Establish that current restricted LTC holders may obtain a reprinted license without the restriction at no cost, with no need to pretend the license was lost/stolen.

Unlike certain other parts of the state machinery, the FRB has always been professional and straightforward with their dealing, and I have not seem them work to further a particular agenda on the gun issue - Public requests are promptly replied to, and they acted swiftly once the Federal court ruled permanent resident non-citizens were LTC eligible.

The Comm2a team will be meeting in the near future, and I will be raising this issue.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob - Appreciate the update and info, vs the hundreds of speculatory comments and posts.

What necessitated the change regarding naturalization number and nationality? I believe these were already fields on the application?

Does Comm2A believe there will be any impact to the issuance of MG licenses?

Good work.

So... to clarify, these three bullet points
- As a stopgap measure, the FRB should issue all LTCs with "Restrictions: None" until they can have the software modified to remove this restriction from the LTC
- Remove the restrictions from the MIRCS license issuance portal and, as an interim measure, inform PDs that all submissions will be processed as "Restrictions: None" no matter what is selected
- Establish that current restricted LTC holders may obtain a reprinted license without the restriction at no cost, with no need to pretend the license was lost/stolen.

are what Comm2A are going to be suggesting the FRB do, SOON, in order to comply with Bruen?

And past practice with the FRB has led Comm2A to believe they are likely to be professional enough to implement those bullet points on their own, regardless of what the AG spews?

Any idea of the timeline?

...'nother donation sent...

Good work.

So... to clarify, these three bullet points

are what Comm2A are going to be suggesting the FRB do, SOON, in order to comply with Bruen?

And past practice with the FRB has led Comm2A to believe they are likely to be professional enough to implement those bullet points on their own, regardless of what the AG spews?

Any idea of the timeline?

...'nother donation sent...
I was speaking only for myself and not Comm2A, but I will be bringing this up this week or next. We obviously will have a lot to discuss post-Bruen.

We have Johnny Donnelly (former owner of Precision Point Firearms) to thank for that. Johnny is the one who converted Jason to our side!
Johnny was one of the very few FFLs willing to sign on to a Comm2A case as a plaintiff when other FFLs we approached told us "I don't want to risk making the AG made at me, I have a business to run".

I didn't know that.

Wow I didn’t know that either
Johnny and I were friendly for a long time prior to this. He actually ran our Natick/Framingham monthly get-togethers for a long time before he handed it off to me. So this was one of the things that happened later when he and I were talking with each other somewhat frequently.

Johnny and I were friendly for a long time prior to this. He actually ran our Natick/Framingham monthly get-togethers for a long time before he handed it off to me. So this was one of the things that happened later when he and I were talking with each other somewhat frequently.
That makes a lot of sense. I only knew him through here but he always seemed like a good guy. It also seemed like he was in a particularly good position to not be scared of the AG. Glad to know his legend can include this other little tidbit. Too bad he's not around as much any more.

That makes a lot of sense. I only knew him through here but he always seemed like a good guy. It also seemed like he was in a particularly good position to not be scared of the AG. Glad to know his legend can include this other little tidbit. Too bad he's not around as much any more.
Johnny is a really good guy. He's now very busy selling real estate.

So, what ever came of that meeting?
Unless I missed the reference, we were talking about restrictions.

Things were on hold pending Bruen. Post Bruen restrictions haven't been a high priority on the Comm2a list since they (restrictions, not Comm2a) no longer exist.

But, Comm2a was all over Morin v. Lyver like a cheap suit.

Crap. Whether what they’re alleging is true or not, he’s got a massive uphill battle on his hands.

Seems like someone has had it out for him for awhile?
Looks like there's a group dedicated to identifying everyone at Charlottesville, and they matched his photo with facial recognition software and then found a bunch of corroborating evidence (like identical dates on his sister's wedding, etc.).

Pretty bad that the chief ID'd him as well:
Earlier this week, HuffPost emailed the photo of “Johnny O’Malley” from Charlottesville to Rufo, the police chief, asking him to confirm the name and rank of the man in the photo.
“Johnny Donnelly,” Rufo responded. “Patrolman.”

Not sure how good an alias is when it's that close to your real name. Johnny O'Malley vs. Johnny Donnelly?

That said, his outing probably deserves a separate thread than clogging this one up.

Goes to show you don't really know some people.

Back
Top Bottom