MA license plates?

Gibbs

NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
57   1   0
So, online I just renewed my plate registration (not plates, just one: it's an old greenie!) and I happened to browse on the MA RMV special plates area.

Holy crap!

There are twenty-four different Massachusetts plates, in addition to the regular white one and the old green one.

It had, like, stick figure children and a candle and a star and a white shark and a leprechaun and a minuteman and a lighthouse and...

Yikes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the RI plate selection. RI has the ocean wave, the sailboat, Mr. Potato Head, breast cancer, Patriots and I think other sports teams, war veteran, black police plates, another set of police plates, legislator plates, town official plates, combination, commercial vehicle and then more. Some people still have the lighthouse plates.

Hey, have to keep people in the ACI busy somehow. They even have amateur radio operator!

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/plates/overview/

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So, online I just renewed my plate registration (not plates, just one: it's an old greenie!) and I happened to browse on the MA RMV special plates area.

Holy crap!

There are twenty-four different Massachusetts plates, in addition to the regular white one and the old green one.

It had, like, stick figure children and a candle and a star and a white shark and a leprechaun and a minuteman and a lighthouse and...

Yikes.
Anyone yet see the PL series plates for the Pilgrims ???
I saw one a few weeks ago in Waltham.
I also saw a new plate recently with a Nantucket graphic.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0

Holy crap!

Yikes.
Wow....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yet one more reason to despise this state: I heard they are charging exorbitant fees on "restored vehicles" if you put an old car back on the road.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yet one more reason to despise this state: I heard they are charging exorbitant fees on "restored vehicles" if you put an old car back on the road.
Yeah, they're porking the classic car guys pretty bad.
I know someone who bought a 67' GTO as a basket case, in need of a complete restoration.
He got it with the 1967 title from the original owner.
When he went to title it in his name, the RMV told him he owed nearly $2k in sales tax. [shocked]
He said wtf to the RMV person.
It seems that there is no official Blue Book values on cars that old, so they must be useing Barrett-Jackson auction prices as a guide.
He paid $6k for the car and argued that it isn't worth $35k as it sits (in pieces)
It would take another $40k investment before it would ever be worth $35k.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're serious! [rofl]

Yup, they're real. It's less weird for me since most towns in RI have or had Mr. Potato Head statues. Towns would make up unique potato heads. My hometown in RI had "Betty the Learned Elephant" in front of the town library. I think the name comes from a circus elephant that broke loose and was killed in the town in 1826. The town has a small parade/festival on the anniversary.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
You're serious! [rofl]

It's gotta' be a Hasbro connection, they're HQ'd in RI.

The plate I wanted to see was the "Cat-In-The-Hat".
They tried to get this for Western Mass, but couldn't get enough pre-orders to make it happen.
I saw a billboard promoting it once in Springfield.
Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel) was from the area.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I was going to get a veteran plate,then I found out I had to pay extra,every year.

F that.

I wouldn't even pay extra for the Gadsen plate,even though it looks pretty cool.The state takes enough from me,there is no way I am going to give them extra for a "vanity" plate.

They should make it a one time fee.

jron

NES Member
Rating - 100%
164   0   0
probably because it "destroys the environment" and its "gas guzzling". you know the biggest threat to america is "climate change" according to the left, not those people trying to slaughter us.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was going to get a veteran plate,then I found out I had to pay extra,every year.
From the MA RMV site:

Procedure to Obtain Veterans' Plates:

You must present one of the following documents to a full service RMV office to verify your veteran status:

Honorable Discharge, DD-214, Release from Active Duty paperwork
Fees:

Initial Registration Fee:$60
Special Plate Fee:$40
Renewal Fee: $100 every 2 years

Proceeds from the special plate fee for this plate go to the Chelsea and Holyoke Soldier's Homes.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stopped for my morning coffee some years back and parallel parked in front of a red Toyota with light blue plates. At first I thought it was a state owned vehicle, but it didn't look quite right and had the letters "TGK" for the plate number. There was also a handicapped placard hanging from the rear view mirror which I thought was a bit odd for a state owned vehicle. As I passed it, I took a closer look and it wasn't a government plate after all; it was one of these...

Background on the guy...

KELLEY, THOMAS G.

Rank and organization: Lieutenant Commander, U.S. Navy, River Assault Division 152. place and date: Ong Muong Canal, Kien Hoa province, Republic of Vietnam, 15 June 1969. Entered service at: Boston, Mass. Born: 13 May 1939, Boston, Mass. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in the afternoon while serving as commander of River Assault Division 152 during combat operations against enemy aggressor forces. Lt. Comdr. (then Lt.) Kelley was in charge of a column of 8 river assault craft which were extracting 1 company of U.S. Army infantry troops on the east bank of the Ong Muong Canal in Kien Hoa province, when 1 of the armored troop carriers reported a mechanical failure of a loading ramp. At approximately the same time, Viet Cong forces opened fire from the opposite bank of the canal. After issuing orders for the crippled troop carrier to raise its ramp manually, and for the remaining boats to form a protective cordon around the disabled craft, Lt. Comdr. Kelley realizing the extreme danger to his column and its inability to clear the ambush site until the crippled unit was repaired, boldly maneuvered the monitor in which he was embarked to the exposed side of the protective cordon in direct line with the enemy's fire, and ordered the monitor to commence firing. Suddenly, an enemy rocket scored a direct hit on the coxswain's flat, the shell penetrating the thick armor plate, and the explosion spraying shrapnel in all directions. Sustaining serious head wounds from the blast, which hurled him to the deck of the monitor, Lt. Cmdr. Kelley disregarded his severe injuries and attempted to continue directing the other boats. Although unable to move from the deck or to speak clearly into the radio, he succeeded in relaying his commands through 1 of his men until the enemy attack was silenced and the boats were able to move to an area of safety. Lt. Comdr. Kelley's brilliant leadership, bold initiative, and resolute determination served to inspire his men and provide the impetus needed to carry out the mission after he was medically evacuated by helicopter. His extraordinary courage under fire, and his selfless devotion to duty sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.
http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/3327/kelley-thomas-g.php

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If you look into getting a special plate, pay attention to where the proceeds go. I seem to recall something like the proceeds from the Mass Audubon plates went to make sure nobody can use nature.

hpm

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Norfolk County, MA / Piscataquis County, ME
If you look into getting a special plate, pay attention to where the proceeds go...
^^^ This!

I like the new plates that support families of fallen soldiers and support the disabled veterans transportation program:

https://www.massfallenheroes.org/get-involved/memorial-license-plate/

Revenue generated from the license plate will be used for funding the Massachusetts Fallen Heroes Memorial and vital programs and services for Families of the Fallen and Veterans through our Veterans Edge program. Additionally, 25% of the proceeds will go toward funding the Disabled American Veterans Department of Massachusetts to help fund their transportation program."]Revenue generated from the license plate will be used for funding the Massachusetts Fallen Heroes Memorial and vital programs and services for Families of the Fallen and Veterans through our Veterans Edge program. Additionally, 25% of the proceeds will go toward funding the Disabled American Veterans Department of Massachusetts to help fund their transportation program.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Because he threw some Vietnam medals over the fence at 1600 Penn Ave. and this plate is the top dog medal from a REAL riverboat warrior.

I agree he should always be ashamed.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was going to get a veteran plate,then I found out I had to pay extra,every year. F that. I wouldn't even pay extra for the Gadsen plate,even though it looks pretty cool.The state takes enough from me,there is no way I am going to give them extra for a "vanity" plate. They should make it a one time fee.
Typical Greg reaction. What's the matter you don't want to support the state veteran's homes? If you want more you have to pay more. The premise of capitalism. [rolleyes]

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ironic considering how aggressively they enforce speed limits. A friend of a friend got a ticket for 67 in a 65: and he has VA plates.
Yeah you can earn yourself a night in the county jail too. Mass should use the Gadsden Flag as a plate for Navy veterans since Mass, which included Maine, was a big part of the Continental Navy and was the scene for a lot of Revolutionary War naval battles. Or the "An Appeal to Heaven" flag.

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ironic considering how aggressively they enforce speed limits. A friend of a friend got a ticket for 67 in a 65: and he has VA plates.
I believe it, a good friend had a house down there and I've been to the Roanoke area a few times.
His first week as a resident he got a speeding ticket for 29 in a 25 zone and he warned me about their aggressive traffic enforcement.
I remember driving from his place down to Martinsville Speedway on state highway 220, the speed limit was posted 55 and I was doing 60 when I realized that I was passing everyone.
Unlike RT 3 in Mass, where the speed limit is 55 and if you're going under 70 you'll get run over.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I hate driving on the highways on the weekends. Weekend drivers actually seem to think that if they exceed the posted speed limit, they'll be swarmed by police cars.

The fastest-moving commuter traffic I've ever seen is around Detroit. Everyone has a company car with the biggest motor available. The middle lane is doing 80 and the LH lane is blasting by 10-20mph faster.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Fastest traffic I've seen was actually on 495 heading to the Cape. Traffic was flowing at about 90mph in the middle lane and once in a while we'd get passed. At one point a BMW 3-series passed us and I decided to keep up... yeah, I backed off at 110mph and he was pulling away. This happened several times that day.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Typical Greg reaction. What's the matter you don't want to support the state veteran's homes? If you want more you have to pay more. The premise of capitalism. [rolleyes]
My my how you have become quite the troll.What's next,you going to threaten me with your State Police contacts ?

Maybe I should start a thread on that. Just to let people know exactly what kind of person you are.[wink]

Last edited:
Top Bottom