MA Known Distance?

what is it? something an old, f***ed up guy can do? cause if it's what i think it is it could be adventurous and fun.

We were trying to do something at Grandby a while back but it got derailed by the problems the range was having.

what is it? something an old, f***ed up guy can do? cause if it's what i think it is it could be adventurous and fun.
Some info here

Known-Distance Appleseeds
A “Known-Distance Appleseed” is a weekend-long program that teaches the secrets of shooting out to 400 yards, including target detection and ranging; measuring and compensating for wind; scopes and reticles; MOAs and mils, boxing your sights, battle-sight zero and come-ups, and much more.

Since this material requires previous exposure to the skills taught at an Appleseed, only students who have been to at least one Appleseed can attend a “KD Appleseed.” Experienced shooters will find that shooting successfully at “Rifleman distances” is a major confidence builder and an opportunity not to be missed!

< Click here to find a Known Distance Appleseed near you >

It's basically "Level 2" of an Appleseed event after getting your Rifleman patch. I've been keeping an eye out for a while but to no avail. I have a few Rifleman patches already and would like to go to 400 yards with an AR.

They are a great time. I tried it with a ~12 lbs. bolt gun ... was mucho challenging for me. Appleseed without the scaled targets, actual at distance.

Same as with @Cap'n Mike at Granby before the town went haywire. Haven't heard of any in the region since then.

It's basically "Level 2" of an Appleseed event after getting your Rifleman patch. I've been keeping an eye out for a while but to no avail. I have a few Rifleman patches already and would like to go to 400 yards with an AR.
Do you realize there are things called NRA and CMP Highpower Rifle competitions held every weekend throughout MA, NH, and ME? It's the logical next step from those Appleseed events.

From what I understand, its difficult getting that scheduled in the few 400y ranges available, hopefully it will happen. I also happen we get a pistol seed.

Do you realize there are things called NRA and CMP Highpower Rifle competitions held every weekend throughout MA, NH, and ME? It's the logical next step from those Appleseed events.

This. CMP Modern Military would incorporate an AR for 200 yard competition or you could borrow a club M1 for the usual M1 Garand matches. High Power is doable but a little higher skill set for the 600 yd stage.

Also, Granby hosts precision 22LR matches as well as full blown PRS competitions despite the issues with that nasty town.

Wow guess I missed that one. Hopefully someone will alert us here to the next one! I'll keep periodically checking the Appleseed calendar.

Any hope of getting a Known Distance event in MA?? I check every couple months and have never seen one pop up.
dont know if any events but reading is out to 600,
Theres a few 300 yards ranges and I would think reduced targets could be utilized.
Find some local NRA matches to attend. I learn something each time I go . Even the local 100-200 yard matches you will learn something

Get a solid zero on your rifle and get to a NRA service rifle event.
keep your eye out for NRA clinics
If you want to challenge yourself get some MR31 targets they are the 100 yd reduced targets to simulate 600 yards.
If you have 200 yards then try a MR52 use your best shooting 22lr for some more challenge.

Last edited:
Absolutely excellent advice. Appleseed is not a "marksmanship competition event" and there are many, many ways to "stretch your legs". Reduced targets at 100 yards, rimfire at 200, and full size targets at 200-300 are all excellent ways to get in shape and to zero in on shooter and equipment shortcomings. Which is, basically, what a Leyden "almost-KD" event is all about.

Ranges-wise, Leyden is a bit of a drive for Eastern MA people, but it is one of the more affordable ranges ($35/year, $5/day range fee for events) and also one of the ranges willing to work with "kids,newbies,non members", as mac1911 so appropriately put it. Particularly true in 2020.

Granby, MA is a great local-ish range currently experiencing some zoning issues, but generally very rifle-friendly.

RIDGLEINE in Dalton, NH is just one example of a New England 1000+ yard range.

Get a solid zero on your rifle and get to a NRA service rifle event.
keep your eye out for NRA clinics
If you want to challenge yourself get some MR31 targets they are the 100 yd reduced targets to simulate 600 yards.
If you have 200 yards then try a MR52 use your best shooting 22lr for some more challenge.

Absolutely excellent advice. Appleseed is not a "marksmanship competition event" and there are many, many ways to "stretch your legs". Reduced targets at 100 yards, rimfire at 200, and full size targets at 200-300 are all excellent ways to get in shape and to zero in on shooter and equipment shortcomings. Which is, basically, what a Leyden "almost-KD" event is all about.

Ranges-wise, Leyden is a bit of a drive for Eastern MA people, but it is one of the more affordable ranges ($35/year, $5/day range fee for events) and also one of the ranges willing to work with "kids,newbies,non members", as mac1911 so appropriately put it. Particularly true in 2020.

Granby, MA is a great local-ish range currently experiencing some zoning issues, but generally very rifle-friendly.

RIDGLEINE in Dalton, NH is just one example of a New England 1000+ yard range.
There are members at clubs that hardly shoot that will take issue with range closer for anything but "club" activities and they will still complain.
Remove the words "match" or "competition" from events and go participate. As long as they are open to "public" you and your equipment are safe and you can follow basic instructions NRA/CMP are great.
Just Note that if its a sanctioned or "authorized" match if you show up with non conforming equipment you may not shoot until late relay or possibly not at all as spots on the line go to match contestants 1st BUT other some events that may draw larger numbers its unlikely you will be turned away as long as you have a decent zero and safe ammo.
Sadly I forget who but my 1st NRA service rifle event 200/300/600 at reading i did not know about the ammo restrictions and only had 55 grain ammo.
It did not take but 1 min for someone to give me ammo so i could shoot. Few sighters and a quick run down of my come ups IIRC was Charlie P. i wad able to shoot and i was happy ! Great crew there and always informative.
I tried to pay the guy who gave me the ammo back. He said NO hook someone else up in the future. Which i have done and still offer to do.

Any hope of getting a Known Distance event in MA?? I check every couple months and have never seen one pop up.
OP if you like i will pay your match fee at the next OCSA cmp M1 Garand and Modern Military clinic/match
Its not exactly class room learning but you should walk away having learned something

OP if you like i will pay your match fee at the next OCSA cmp M1 Garand and Modern Military clinic/match
Its not exactly class room learning but you should walk away having learned something
I can vouch for the people in pembroke, it was my second rifle use ever, but first one using a sling and everyone there was awesome. I learned a lot, and the atmosphere was very relax.

ive been meaning to go back, kids complicate things!

This is awesome, I would love to shoot a Garand or modern service rifle. I noticed both are on 11/1, are the events on the same range at the same time? I don't have 30-06 but I have plenty of standard American Eagle 55gr 223, are there ammo restrictions?

This is awesome, I would love to shoot a Garand or modern service rifle. I noticed both are on 11/1, are the events on the same range at the same time? I don't have 30-06 but I have plenty of standard American Eagle 55gr 223, are there ammo restrictions?
Yes , safe ammo and at least a basic zero on your rifle.
club has 4 M1 garands that are 10 ring capable all day long if you do your part.
OCSA CMP runs the JCG as issued Clinic/match right along with the secondary match be it Modern Military, Vintage Bolt gun or Springfield 1903 match. CMP simplified the course of fire so all rifles have the same time limits and switched to running the SR target for each stage. So
come on down.
i do sugest calling Rich prior to the match to be sure there is club 30-06 available for the Club Garands.

Last edited:
Good info passed along here. One thing I'd like to mention on KD at Appleseed events

KD, aka known distance, may be a full distance event out to 400 yards. But it also may be shorter than that, even 100 yards.

The reason being that sometimes we incorporate a longer distance than 25m to show what you do at 25 carries out to distance, whatever the range has available. This is usually done Sunday afternoons and can be done with as little as 20 rounds of ammo. Usually 22 rimfires shoot to 100 yards, CF that or whatever longer distance the range has to offer.

So if you intend to go to a KD event expecting 400 yards, make sure the event is being run at full distance before signing up. KD at lesser distance is good for learning trajectory, sight adjustments and to get a better at distance zero, but is not a standard COF and does not allow you to get a rifleman patch for shooting the score.

Back
Top Bottom