• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA: Identifying Pre-Ban Glock Mags

Of course... problem I have with this is... wheres the
proof? I see generations of glock mags here... but where is the supporting
documentation (from someone in the know, say at Glock) that says "x was
made during Y" etc. Is there a released statement from glock, or say, a
publication from the AFTE (association of firearm and tool mark examiners) or
somesuch that would be able to conclusively verify which is which. I'm
guessing at one point glock had changed the way they fabricated magazines.
Depending on where you go for the info, things change. (eg, Glockmeister
has a pic which clearly shows prebans as being the "jail bait" mags).

There are obvious ones... like we all know anything that says .357 on it
is generally made during the ban or after it was passed. But everything
else is considerably more muddy.

Reason I ask is that this stuff is always muddy. A perfect example
is the HK USP .45 mag controversy. There are a group of people who
claim that there are prebans, because at least one individual had imported
prebans which were manufactured by HK germany, before the ban took
effect, even though the gun didn't exist here at that time. Of course
HK-USA swears up and down they're not prebans, but they don't know about
this one vendors end around on their supply chain. (And he obstensibly got
BATF approval to import the things, too... if they were illegal, he would have
been denied an import permit.).

-Mike

When are you guys going to realize that if a law is open to interpretation IT IS NOT A LAW!!!!

When are you guys going to realize that if a law is open to interpretation IT IS NOT A LAW!!!!

That's completely bogus. A lot of laws are open to some degree of interpretation. Better written laws are more specific.... just because a law is poorly written doesn't make it "not a law" anymore. When laws are poorly written then you end up with situations that can swing either way- either in the favor of the state or in the favor of the accused. This is why lawyers make a lot of money and case law ends up being very important- because it often irons out the loose ends in the laws.

The problem is in this case is there is no case law. (Well, depending on how you look at it, this can be a good or a bad thing.... I'd say it's worse not knowing where the real line in the sand is. ) IMO (and I'm not a lawyer) the standard of evidence on the side of the state has to be pretty high to secure a conviction. This of course, assumes that you have a lawyer that is willing to napalm the prosecution on the issue- eg- question them on what authority they believe that a mag is postban- and then watch them flib flub the whole thing on the stand when they can't come up with a solid answer- thus causing the prosecutions argument to fail. I think this explains why it hasn't really been used yet. There is also another felony in MGL that bans possession of an LCAFD without a license- and I think most DAs in MA are going to go for that first (as the standard of evidence there is simply possession, nothing more) although obviously that would not apply in the case of a person with an LTC. My bet is in the case of an LTC holder they try to use the "illegal magazine" thing as part of a carrot and stick approach with a crappy lawyer to try to get someone to plea out to something else.

Ironically this sets up a situation where an otherwise non criminal is more likely to get charged with an AWB violation than a real criminal would... but that's MA for you. The Bartley Fox crap is the same way- it'll put granny in jail, but rarely if ever will a gangbanger get hit by it, due to the mechanics of the law/charge.

ETA: There -is- a way that a law that is "open to interpretation" can be effectively nullified- but that's unlikely to ever happen in MA. Basically you'd have to have a
situation where juries or judges as par for the course, consider the law to be BS and start a trend of never convicting on that charge, then all those failed convictions
can often effectively set a precedent. For example, some of the really old laws (I'm talking like 1800s) on the books that have never been repealed in some places end up suffering this fate, but that takes a loooong time and a long history of the courts ignoring the dumb old laws. That's not a usual case scenario.

-Mike

Last edited:
Hey guys, another question. Will the mags with the u Shaped cut out
"Gen 1" feed ok in a gun that uses Later gen mags. My 23 is preban and legal in ma, just wanna make sure the mags will work before i go and buy them.
Thanks again,
-Matt

Hey guys, another question. Will the mags with the u Shaped cut out
"Gen 1" feed ok in a gun that uses Later gen mags. My 23 is preban and legal in ma, just wanna make sure the mags will work before i go and buy them.
Yes, they will feed fine. But they won't drop free. You'll have to pull them out during a magazine change.

If you truly believe that, then you seriously need to get educated on the US legal system. Because that statement is patently false.

+1. Laws are written intentionally so they can be interpreted and applied broadly by judges. There are very few laws that are so specific that there is only a single interpretation. Facts do matter in each case, so the law has to be flexible enough to be applied in a whole host of factual scenarios.

If you truly believe that, then you seriously need to get educated on the US legal system. Because that statement is patently false.

I think you should wake up and get educated! It is not your responsibility to decide what is legal or not. If a written law is so written that the responsibility is on the end user to decide if what they are buying is legal or not it is not a law. It is not left up for you to decide. The writers of the law tell you that! In the case of high cap mags you are told you cannot have over 10 rounds. Period. If you are told what is pre ban or not it is their responsibiliy to show you examples of what is and what is not legal.

I think you should wake up and get educated! It is not your responsibility to decide what is legal or not. If a written law is so written that the responsibility is on the end user to decide if what they are buying is legal or not it is not a law. It is not left up for you to decide. The writers of the law tell you that! In the case of high cap mags you are told you cannot have over 10 rounds. Period. If you are told what is pre ban or not it is their responsibiliy to show you examples of what is and what is not legal.

your statements make absolutely no sense.

I think that if you tried that approach in court, in MA, you are unlikely to get the verdict that you'd like to see. In other words, perhaps what you state is the "way it should be", but I doubt that it would fly in the corrupt judicial system that exists in MA!

I'm sorry, but you simply do not understand how our legal system works. The Commonwealth of MA is under no obligation to tell you how to identify pre-ban magazines.

I think you should wake up and get educated!

Likewise, you might want to take your own advice.

It is not your responsibility to decide what is legal or not.

Problem is that ignorance is not an excuse for violating any law. There is
some crunch room here with "reasonable person..." but that's mostly in the
sense that the jury would have a dilemma with convicting a person based
on flimsy evidence more than anything else.

If a written law is so written that the responsibility is on the end user to decide if what they are buying is legal or not it is not a law.

[rofl]

So you're going to tell me a guy who is offered an 8 ball of crack is not
responsible for the legal outcomes of their decision to buy it or not? [laugh]

It is not left up for you to decide. The writers of the law tell you that! In the case of high cap mags you are told you cannot have over 10 rounds. Period.

The "unless lawfully possessed..." thing precludes this, so this is patently
wrong. the law allows for an explicit exception there.

If you are told what is pre ban or not it is their responsibiliy to show you examples of what is and what is not legal.

While it's "good conduct" by an enforcement organization to do so, there's no legal obligation for them to do so. And they know this, and they get away with it because there is no punishment for it. The only way they'd ever get punished for it is if the courts routinely ruled against them on that
specific law, rendering it functionally null through failures in prosecution.

-Mike

Pre-bans are #1-2-3-4 and I am pretty sure #5 also even though it is a non hi-cap.

Indicators are the feed cut at the top, the placement of 9mm marking height on the face of the mag body and also the cuts / indents style on the side of the mag body.

Use this pic for referance:

Glockpre-bans123and4only.jpg

Pre-bans are #1-2-3-4 and I am pretty sure #5 also even though it is a non hi-cap.

Indicators are the feed cut at the top, the placement of 9mm marking height on the face of the mag body and also the cuts / indents style on the side of the mag body.

Use this pic for referance:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/strkaliten/Glockpre-bans123and4only.jpg?t=1258946868[/QUOTE]

There have been documented cases of high caliber marked Glock mags being made and sold prior to Sept '94, mean that there ARE pre-ban high caliber marked Glock mags out there.

There have been documented cases of high caliber marked Glock mags being made and sold prior to Sept '94, mean that there ARE pre-ban high caliber marked Glock mags out there.

Exactly. And if even glock cannot tell you, I don't expect some guy from the Internet to know more than them...

Would a hi cap mag with DPD markings on it be considered compliant in mass? One can never be 100% certain here.

I've never heard of the magazine itself having DPD markings. Does it look like a standard "LE only" marked Glock mag with DPD added somewhere in the mix, or something different? Does it have an ambi notch?

No I have not seen "LE only" marks anywhere. It is, however, distinctly marked DPD, right at the bottom below Glock Austria marks. As to the presense of an ambi notch, I am deeply embarrased to ask what thas notch is.

As to the presense of an ambi notch, I am deeply embarrased to ask what thas notch is.

Silver cutouts on the front of the mag body, a recent update to their design.

images

According to Glock legal, if it doesn't have the ambi notch or LE only marks, it's pre-ban. I'm assuming you got this mag with a 2nd gen DPD G22, right? If that's the case I'd be very interested in seeing pictures of the mag.

Here are some pics

The low .40 markings make it appear pre-ban on the surface, but it looks like the mags have a serial number in addition to the DPD designation. From everything else I've seen and read on the subject, the only mags made with serial numbers were LE only mags made during the 94 AWB, meaning post-ban. But the mag pictured doesn't appear to meet ATF's requirements for mags, although they may have had an approved "alternate means of identification" in this case. Does anyone here know if Glock made mags in the US during the AWB, or if they were imported from Austria like the frames? That would affect some of the requirements here.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html

Large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994.

Each person who manufactures or imports any large capacity ammunition feeding device manufactured after September 13, 1994, shall legibly identify each such device with a serial number. Such person may use the same serial number for all large capacity ammunition feeding devices produced.

Additionally, in the case of a domestically made large capacity ammunition feeding device, such device shall be marked with the name, city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) of the manufacturer;
And in the case of an imported large capacity ammunition feeding device, such device shall be marked:
With the name of the manufacturer, country of origin, and,

Effective July 5, 1995, the name, city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) of the importer.

Further, large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994, shall be marked “RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT / GOVERNMENT USE ONLY” or, in the case of devices manufactured or imported for export, effective July 5, 1995, “FOR EXPORT ONLY.”

All markings required by this paragraph (c) shall be cast, stamped, or engraved on the exterior of the device. In the case of a magazine, the markings shall be placed on the magazine body.

Exceptions:

Metallic links. Persons who manufacture or import metallic links for use in the assembly.of belted ammunition are only required to place the identification marks prescribed in paragraph (c)(1) on this section on the containers used for the packaging of the links

Alternate means of identification. The Director may authorize other means of identifying large capacity ammunition feeding devices upon receipt of a letter application, in duplicate, from the manufacturer or importer showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part

Note: Section 478.92(c) Repealed on September 13, 2004

If I were you and living in Massachusetts, to cover my bases I'd do two things. I'd call Glock (770-432-1202) and give them the serial number off of the gun itself to determine when it was made. I'd also read them the serial number off of the mag, since they're required to keep the records indefinitely if the mags were imported, which they very likely were.

http://atf.gov/firearms/faq/saws-and-lcafds.html#expiration-records

Q: Does expiration of the ban affect records maintained by licensed manufacturers, importers and dealers?

Yes. Federal firearms licensees are no longer required to collect special records regarding the sale or transfer of SAWs and LCAFDs for law enforcement or government sales. However, existing records on SAWs and LCAFDs must still be maintained for a period of 5 years. Moreover, records of importation and manufacture must be maintained permanently, and licensees must maintain all other acquisition and disposition records for 20 years.

If Glock tells you the serial number was just to mark a lot going to DPD, and the gun itself was issued pre-9/13/94, then chances are it's a pre-ban mag. If they tell you that the serial number and DPD mark on the mag was their way of complying with the law for LE only marks on a post-ban mag, then it's a felony to possess it in Masachusetts.

I've never seen or heard of a Glock mag like this before, so please post here and let us know what Glock tells you on the mag.

Another thought. Since this could be interpreted as an LE marked mag, if Glock tells you that it is in fact pre-ban you may want to request something in writing to back that up. If that comes to the attention of LE, saying "I called Glock and talked to some guy who said it was pre-ban" won't keep you out of hot water. If Glock can't date it (and their official position is that they can't date the manufacture of many of them because they never kept track of design changes) then you should be all set.

I'm saying this because of this thread, where there was some confusion over the pre- or post-ban status of something, and it turned into a headache (assuming we have the full story there). Anything that will help you avoid unnecessary drama is a good thing in my opinion.

You can say that again. I spent a small fortune on one during the ban from a reputable source. I still have the receipt. I was told in Glock Armorers class that the high mark was created to make room for "RESTRICTED LE/GOVT ONLY". They did not actually "stamp" LEO only until after the 1994 AWB came into effect. In the mean time thousands of mags were produced with the high markings.

I made a call to Glock and spoke to their customer service rep who was very surprized with the DPD pistol's serial number and thought I had gotten it wrong. She had to transfer me to a person specializing in dating pistols whom I eventually I got a hold of. He was able to date the pistol itself but not the DPD marked magazine. He told me that he does not have such records, or something to that effect. I thought that if the company representative could not date it and everything else point to the mag being legal, than it is indeed legal. That is of course until I am in jail pondering where I went wrong in my search. :)

Back
Top Bottom