MA: Identifying Pre-Ban Glock Mags

It doesn't matter if you're licensed or not on an AWB charge.
Yes it does, however, the license in question is a MA dealer/gunsmith license; not an LTC.

There are others like safe storage/transport laws and MGL 269-10J (the school ban), DUI/drug convictions, and restraining orders. Those are all prosecuted/charged at an exponentially higher rate.
You forgot "failure to report a hotel fire" and "receipt for deposit by insolvent banking institution".

Last edited:
Yes it does, however, the license in question is a MA dealer/gunsmith license; not an LTC.

If you untangle the extension cord mess though I was more or less responding to what he was asking, he was just referencing the wrong section of law.

You forgot "failure to report a hotel fire" and "receipt for deposit by insolvent banking institution".

Yeah, there's a bunch of other crap too, like "defrauding an inkeeper" or something? I forget them all. There was a laundry list of similarly retarded crimes they wanted to make worse in the last legislative session as well.

-Mike

I know the party line Len. Different folks have different comfort levels around this topic. Just sharing information.

For the truly paranoid, the only safe mags are 10 rds or less.

For the slightly less paranoid, they only feel safe with U-notch or square-notch standard sized pre-bans.

For the truly paranoid, the only safe mags are 10 rds or less.

For the slightly less paranoid, they only feel safe with U-notch or square-notch standard sized pre-bans.

Or in other terms, things they think are pre bans. [laugh]

That U notch 33 with the LE markings kinda tosses things up a bit. Every time someone thinks they have it all figured out another mag variant appears. This is probably why Glock doesn't bother to play that game because they know that any guideline they issue is debatable.

-Mike

Or in other terms, things they think are pre bans. [laugh]

That U notch 33 with the LE markings kinda tosses things up a bit. Every time someone thinks they have it all figured out another mag variant appears. This is probably why Glock doesn't bother to play that game because they know that any guideline they issue is debatable.

-Mike

Mike, that's why I specified "Standard" sized pre-bans.[laugh]

As for the video, those that want to believe . . . be my guest.

---------------------

After all what would a very well respected shooter and author know when he published his book in 2003 (during the Fed ban, for those following along) when he wrote that a fellow club member showed him a high caliber marked mag that was pre-ban (NO LE/MIL markings)!!!

So posting videos like the above and other info is really a DIS-Service to the NES community, certainly not a help.

Another question to add to this saga:

I've noticed some non Glock prebans for sale over the last couple months, namely Promag and USA magazine. Is there any guideline for identifying those?

I've noticed some non Glock prebans for sale over the last couple months, namely Promag and USA magazine. Is there any guideline for identifying those?

Those probably aren't prebans, not to mention they're ****ing junk, anyways. (both of those are shit brands).

-Mike

USA Magazine is pre ban. They went out of business before the ban. They are known for their all metal 30 round magazine. Promag is also pre ban but I am not sure of all of them are pre ban. They are plastic and would make good range mags but I would not rely on them for self defense.

Those probably aren't prebans, not to mention they're ****ing junk, anyways. (both of those are shit brands).

-Mike

USA Magazine is pre ban. They went out of business before the ban. They are known for their all metal 30 round magazine. Promag is also pre ban but I am not sure of all of them are pre ban. They are plastic and would make good range mags but I would not rely on them for self defense.

Exactly. USA and Promag = range mags only (even then I wouldn't waste the money on them). KCI (Korean) also made pre-ban crap. Just buy a crippled Glock mag and be done with it if you don't want to pay the mass premium, which gets higher by the day.

I doubt they will sell, but someone has a starting price of $250 on GunBroker right now for two crappy looking G19 u-notch mags. Another guy is selling G21 square notch for $140 each.

-Mike
Are there any markings that make you say they're likely postban? I agree, quite possibly shit, but worth considering for range mags in my opinion.

Exactly. USA and Promag = range mags only (even then I wouldn't waste the money on them). KCI (Korean) also made pre-ban crap. Just buy a crippled Glock mag and be done with it if you don't want to pay the mass premium, which gets higher by the day.

I doubt they will sell, but someone has a starting price of $250 on GunBroker right now for two crappy looking G19 u-notch mags. Another guy is selling G21 square notch for $140 each.

WOW. This makes the prices for HK mags a bit more bearable.

Are there any markings that make you say they're likely postban? I agree, quite possibly shit, but worth considering for range mags in my opinion.
I have yet to see a glock mag with a serial number or a date on it. So I say if it's a high cap prove to me it's a post ban!

I have yet to see a glock mag with a serial number or a date on it. So I say if it's a high cap prove to me it's a post ban!

With all due respect, we don't need to prove anything to you. However, as has been said a thousand times or more in this forum, if you get jammed up for anything associated with a standard capacity pre- or post-ban mag, you might end up needing to spend megabucks proving that it is pre-ban. It comes down to what your tolerance for risk assessment is that you have.

Last edited:
However, as has been said a thousand times or more in this forum, if you get jammed up for anything associated with a standard capacity pre- or post-ban mag, you might end up needing to spend megabucks proving that it is pre-ban. It comes down to what your tolerance for risk assessment is that you have.

^^^this.../thread

With all due respect, we don't need to prove anything to you. However, as has been said a thousand times or more in this forum, if you get jammed up for anything associated with a standard capacity pre- or post-ban mag, you might end up needing to spend megabucks proving that it is pre-ban. It comes down to what your tolerance for risk assessment is that you have.
Then don't bother with any pre-bans, despite them being perfectly legal.

Then don't bother with any pre-bans, despite them being perfectly legal.

I guess that I didn't clearly explain myself. If you want to carry a questionable pre- or post-ban magazine, then be prepared to spend mucho dinero defending it. Nobody is telling either one of you not to carry pre- post or whatever. If you're not risk adverse, then by all means carry whatever you want.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but as this is a 33rnd mag, I figured I'd ask.

2hy9u2f.jpg

xfyhkp.jpg

xduh3d.jpg

Yes that is a 33 round G18 9mm mag. It has a u notch. If it did not have Leo markings it would be legal in mass. The 33 round mags are actually 30 round mags with a +2 extension on the bottom. That's how they come though. Can't remember if it's 32 rounds that fits 33 or what.

Back
Top Bottom