• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA - I can't transfer a pre-ban Colt AR-15? But I CAN xfer the receiver? Dubious FFL?

I'm looking to transfer a pre-ban Colt AR-15. I talked to the FFL I got my first firearm from, Dave Franks, seems like a good guy but I have no idea if he knows his stuff or not.

He told me that it was illegal for me to transfer the rifle to MA because it wasn't on the AG's approved firearms roster?? I then asked him if I could just transfer a pre-ban lower receiver to MA -- he told me this would be fine and easy to do.

This is just very dubious to me -- The AG's approved firearms list applies to complete guns only, despite being pre-ban?

Am I completely missing something here? I thought I knew MA law pretty well but what he was telling me makes me feel like an idiot.

Can someone please clarify what's up for me? Thanks a lot!

You need a new FFL. Unless something got lost in translation, he's wrong in at least two different directions. (Pre-ban rifles are fine, and the roster is for handguns only.)

You can't......so just send me the info..... (J/K)

+1 for getting a new FFL.....no reason you shouldn't have preban sweetness in your hands soon.

He told me that it was illegal for me to transfer the rifle to MA because it wasn't on the AG's approved firearms roster?

The "Approved Firearm Roster" only applies to handguns.

Am I completely missing something here? I thought I knew MA law pretty well but what he was telling me makes me feel like an idiot.

You're not the idiot.

The AG and EOPS list have nothing to do with rifles.

The Assault Weapons Ban is law in Mass. Pre-ban obviously is exempted from that.

So yes find a new FFL.

Also where is the rifle located? If its driving distance you can just buy that in any NE state (not sure on CT) and bring it back with you. Then you file an FA-10 here in mass to register the transaction. Will save you the transfer fee and shipping.

Alright -- Thanks a lot guys, I figured something dubious was going on here. Does anyone have any recommendations and experience with a good FFL in the northshore? -- I called Dave again and he told me once again that because the rifle wasn't in MA that it would be illegal to transfer it here. The lower would be legal to transfer because I'd then be assembling the rifle myself. I asked him if it would still be preban and he told me "Yeah because you would then register the firearm you built and you can tell them you built it before the ban" --- This guy just makes me more and more confused.

Also where is the rifle located? If its driving distance you can just buy that in any NE state (not sure on CT) and bring it back with you. Then you file an FA-10 here in mass to register the transaction. Will save you the transfer fee and shipping.

I hope you didn't mean a FTF transaction between residents of different states . . . otherwise you are advising someone to commit a FEDERAL FELONY!

Fed Law PROHIBITS transfers FTF when the two parties are NOT resident of hte same state. Then you have to consider different state laws once you get over the Fed hurdle.

Buyer can indeed go to many states and do the transfer at an FFL in that other state. CT requires a 14 day waiting period (2 trips) unless hte new owner has a CT license. MA doesn't allow any interstate transfers. So a transfer fee will still be required from what I'm reading here in the OP.

Go thru Four Seasons, they understand that part of the law, as long as Carl can verify the S/N as pre-ban he'll take care of you.

Alright -- Thanks a lot guys, I figured something dubious was going on here. Does anyone have any recommendations and experience with a good FFL in the northshore? -- I called Dave again and he told me once again that because the rifle wasn't in MA that it would be illegal to transfer it here. The lower would be legal to transfer because I'd then be assembling the rifle myself. I asked him if it would still be preban and he told me "Yeah because you would then register the firearm you built and you can tell them you built it before the ban" --- This guy just makes me more and more confused.

Northshore Firearms on 114 in Middleton. Great guys.
http://www.northshorefirearms.com/

Sorry assumed he was talking about FFLs and not a FTF sale.

I hope you didn't mean a FTF transaction between residents of different states . . . otherwise you are advising someone to commit a FEDERAL FELONY!

Fed Law PROHIBITS transfers FTF when the two parties are NOT resident of hte same state. Then you have to consider different state laws once you get over the Fed hurdle.

Buyer can indeed go to many states and do the transfer at an FFL in that other state. CT requires a 14 day waiting period (2 trips) unless hte new owner has a CT license. MA doesn't allow any interstate transfers. So a transfer fee will still be required from what I'm reading here in the OP.

And just one last thought. When an FFL starts making up things that are just baloney, its usually because they are pissed off that you are not buying the gun from them.

He probably has a pre-ban thats been sitting on the shelf he wouild rather sell you.
Greed in this case is not good.

Back
Top Bottom