• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Hunter harassment penalties

I was thinking about this while out hunting this morning...

"Hunter harassment" law: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section5C

Does anyone know of any cases where this has actually been successfully applied? Where someone was actually charged/sued under this statute?

The law states:
The superior court shall have jurisdiction to issue an injunction to enjoin any such conduct or conspiracy in violation of the provisions of this section. A person who sustains damage as a result of any act which is in violation of this section may bring a civil action for punitive damages.

What would a typical amount for these "punitive damages" be?

The punitive damages would be a separate trial, as its a civil matter, IIRC.

I know that the EPO that does most of the Hunter Ed classes said that he's issued citations or hunter harassment, but what penalties were assessed, he did not say.

It was my feeling that the Anti, upon being told that they were in violation of the law, stopped. I'd guess that most that would harass hunters are either casual (OMG! That man in the tree wants to kill Bambi! Let's let the deer know that Man is in the forest!), or dilettantes that know the law, but leave when told to.

I once hunted with a guy that, upon exiting the hunting area, and returning to his car, found a bunch of protesters. His response was to walk up to one, take a pheasant from his bag, and bite the bird's head off.

End of discussion.

[laugh]

Last edited:
I once hunted with a guy that, upon exiting the hunting area, and returning to his car, found a bunch of protesters. His response was to walk up to one, take a pheasant from his bag, and bite the bird's head off.

End of discussion.

[laugh]

I didn't know Ozzy Osbourne was a hunter.

The punitive damages would be a separate trial, as its a civil matter, IIRC.
Right, that is what the statute seems to indicate. I'm curious if there have actually been any cases where that has happened.

It was my feeling that the Anti, upon being told that they were in violation of the law, stopped. I'd guess that most that would harass hunters are either casual (OMG! That man in the tree wants to kill Bambi! Let's let the deer know that Man is in the forest!), or dilettantes that know the law, but leave when told to.
That is pretty much how I figured it usually plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

End of discussion.

[laugh]

Now THAT is ****ing metal.

IANAL but I think the damages they are talking about might be if the harassment actually damaged the hunter's property such as keying the truck, letting air out of the tires, damaging tree stands, etc...

Back
Top Bottom