MA How far in advance can you renew LTC

Sorry for the noob question but this is my first rodeo with renewal and with all the s going on was wondering what my best approach was or options are. My LTC comes up this summer, didn't know if I am better off trying to get the paperwork in early, if there are limits as to how far in advance I can submit for renewal? or any other considerations? Thanks

From what I hear it depends on town. I did 3 months early. Got it after 1 months. Some towns hold it until your old one expires. At least thats what I read here. I'm from falmouth.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but if you get the application in before it expires you are covered until your renewed license arrives. With that said, I think they recommend like 6 weeks before it expires. I think I put mine in like a month before it expired.

I tried to do mine 6 months early. called the licensing officer and he made an appointment with me for three months out which was three months earlier than my expiration date.

If you are six months out just call and make the appointment. They will let you know.

I did my in end of March or first of April 2020 at the beginning of covid crap. I received my new LTC in 21 days in the mail. Mine was expiring in October 2020. My town was doing renewals all by mail. Best to check your towns PD web page as every town is different.
One thing to remember the new LTC is issued to start on your birthday, the same day your expiring LTC expires. New number, new PIN. You can not use the LTC before the issue date.

I renewed mine about 6 weeks prior to expiration and received it in 2 weeks, with still a month to go on the old LTC, and was instructed by the PD to not use the new one until my birthday (the expiration date), as the new LTC has a new pin number as well.

I renewed mine about 6 weeks prior to expiration and received it in 2 weeks, with still a month to go on the old LTC, and was instructed by the PD to not use the new one until my birthday (the expiration date), as the new LTC has a new pin number as well.
Yeah I had this happen as well. Had to hold the new one for a while

I have renewed multiple times. Never got a notice. Is it town or state?

yeah I don't think I got a notice either, and mine is up right before sept.

I will reach out to the local PD as I need to schedule with them, I just remember someone telling me that some places won't even look at it until you're about due.

yeah I don't think I got a notice either, and mine is up right before sept.

I will reach out to the local PD as I need to schedule with them, I just remember someone telling me that some places won't even look at it until you're about due.
If you don't mind. What town are you in? If you do mind is it a green town?

The last time I did mine, I started 4 months before mine expired. Got my renewal the week after the old one expired

Sorry for the noob question but this is my first rodeo with renewal and with all the s going on was wondering what my best approach was or options are. My LTC comes up this summer, didn't know if I am better off trying to get the paperwork in early, if there are limits as to how far in advance I can submit for renewal? or any other considerations? Thanks
Mine was due to expire in oct and I made my apt for May.....5 months early.

Renewed for the first time in May as getting an appointment was a pain. I also got a notice in the mail in January about my license expiring in May. I’m in Townsend MA

Lynn was 3 months prior to renewal.
Just renewed mine, 60 days out and took about 30 days to receive it. 60 days was the recommendation on the PD website, obviously there are new Covid restrictions on face-to-face so everything was done remote; download renewal app from town site, mail in along with check, new license came in the mail.

Got a notice from the state in mid Nov. Expires mid Mar. Called PD on Dec. 1st, interviewed Dec.3. Now just wait. No, I don't know anybody there. Got the call Jan 14th to pick it up. Minus Christmas and New Years, 40 days. Quite an improvement.

Last edited:
I called my PD 3 months early and the cop told me to wait until the month before it expires. I did and submitted my renewal and got it 2 months after it expired........

I mailed my mid-October 2020 renewal application on May 1 (Fri), they received it Monday May May 4. I received my renewal in the mail September 16 so I put it in the safe until the one I had expired. Never got any type of notice that it was expiring.

My town told me to come in Feb 1st for an LTC that expires end of March. He wouldn’t accept it before that.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but if you get the application in before it expires you are covered until your renewed license arrives.
You must be in possession of the printed receipt that the PD gets as a side-effect
of typing your raw data into the state's application database.

Not some multi-color carbon paper acknowledging receipt of your check by the town Licensing Officer.

The receipt from the state system.

With that said, I think they recommend like 6 weeks before it expires. I think I put mine in like a month before it expired.
I'ma go way out on a limb and claim that no one has ever been found unsuitable
for the offense of pestering the Licensing Officer to start the process as early as possible.

One thing to remember the new LTC is issued to start on your birthday, the same day your expiring LTC expires. New number, new PIN. You can not use the LTC before the issue date.
The new LTC is useless before the issue date.
The old LTC remains valid until the new one's issue date.

Except potentially for a multi-day window
(I think something like between
when your local PD tells the state that they've printed the license,
and when they actually hand it to you.
Granted, that seems like an obscure race condition that not everyone encounters.
But it's as good as I can remember tonight...)

Anyhow,
during that period you can't conduct transactions with either license
(although presumably you're still good to possess/carry).

There's more than one NESer that has shredded the old valid license
as soon as the new one arrived; weeks before their birthday.
And then tried to use the new unripe license for a transaction.
FAIL.

Don't be that NESer.

I have renewed multiple times. Never got a notice. Is it town or state?
They've had enough of your antics.
They're praying that you'll forget to renew.

"Use".

Like, Walmart gives you a free box of .22LR when you show them the new LTC,
but the cops come gunning for you
if you flash the new license at the Sporting Goods Clerk before it ripens.

I have no doubt they told you that.
But they're living on some elevated plane above mere mortals.

In my town they "suggest" 40 days before expiration so that they won't go over the 40 day limit.
That's an interesting Inside Baseball rationale right there.

They have not gone over in 50 years, usually around 4 wks. or less. Jack.
Jack, they're afraid that if they provoke you,
that you'll apply for some other license
even more bureaucratically annoying than Fortune Teller.

Say, "Fence Inspector Meta-Inspector"...
The beauty about a title like that,
is that it would annoy you as much as it annoyed them.

Come to think of it, you've probably got that license
but won't admit it on NES.

You must be in possession of the printed receipt that the PD gets as a side-effect
of typing your raw data into the state's application database.

Not some multi-color carbon paper acknowledging receipt of your check by the town Licensing Officer.

The receipt from the state system.

I'ma go way out on a limb and claim that no one has ever been found unsuitable
for the offense of pestering the Licensing Officer to start the process as early as possible.

The new LTC is useless before the issue date.
The old LTC remains valid until the new one's issue date.

Except potentially for a multi-day window
(I think something like between
when your local PD tells the state that they've printed the license,
and when they actually hand it to you.
Granted, that seems like an obscure race condition that not everyone encounters.
But it's as good as I can remember tonight...)

Anyhow,
during that period you can't conduct transactions with either license
(although presumably you're still good to possess/carry).

There's more than one NESer that has shredded the old valid license
as soon as the new one arrived; weeks before their birthday.
And then tried to use the new unripe license for a transaction.
FAIL.

Don't be that NESer.

They've had enough of your antics.
They're praying that you'll forget to renew.

"Use".

Like, Walmart gives you a free box of .22LR when you show them the new LTC,
but the cops come gunning for you
if you flash the new license at the Sporting Goods Clerk before it ripens.

I have no doubt they told you that.
But they're living on some elevated plane above mere mortals.

That's an interesting Inside Baseball rationale right there.

Jack, they're afraid that if they provoke you,
that you'll apply for some other license
even more bureaucratically annoying than Fortune Teller.

Say, "Fence Inspector Meta-Inspector"...
The beauty about a title like that,
is that it would annoy you as much as it annoyed them.

Come to think of it, you've probably got that license
but won't admit it on NES.
Probably true. They won't let me turn in my hump stocks. Google it

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but if you get the application in before it expires you are covered until your renewed license arrives. With that said, I think they recommend like 6 weeks before it expires. I think I put mine in like a month before it expired.
Now they are saying 3 months ahead. Using Covid as a delay

I always did ~5 months early and a couple of times it came close to expiration before I had the new one in hand.

You only get the infinite grace period IFF the PD enters your data BEFORE your expiration. I know of at least one person who applied before his birthday but the PD just piled them up and didn't process them until after expiration. He was SOL and only had the 90 day grace period but couldn't buy/sell anything.

Back
Top Bottom