• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Has some messed up seasons and regs...

ccm75

NES Member
So why does MA insist on opening seasons so late?

My friends in NY are bow hunting now with the opener on 10/1.

MA opens 10/21, two days after pheasant season starts which really screws me up as I would love to hunt in and on the fringes of my local WMA where I have been seeing some really nice bucks. The bucks go nocturnal once the army of orange appears........[thinking]

And why is deer season so late?
Other states open when the rut is at it's peak in mid-November, but MA makes us wait until 12/2...for a 12 day season with No Sunday Hunting...! [frown]

No, it just took me 20 years to bitch about it.
I really need to join the Sunday Hunting lobbying effort if it is still on life support and start writing letters to the new head of F&G about their messed up season schedule...

MA opens 10/21, two days after pheasant season starts which really screws me up as I would love to hunt in and on the fringes of my local WMA where I have been seeing some really nice bucks. The bucks go nocturnal once the army of orange appears........[thinking]

Other states open when the rut is at it's peak in mid-November, but MA makes us wait until 12/2...for a 12 day season with No Sunday Hunting...! [frown]

I gave up and started hunting Connecticut.
The season opens on 9/15
Sunday hunting on private land
Archery season goes to 12/31 on private and bow only properties
The license is $135 and comes with 2 either sex tags and two antlerless tags that are good state wide.

Bob

Hunt muzzle loader season. I've taken more deer during that season than during shotgun season. Way fewer guys out there......and generally there is snow on the ground the last week of December so you can pin down where they are hanging out.

Slightly off topic but not really: Looking to go ATVing in NH this Fall, what times/dates/days should I stay OUT of the forests??
(not a hunter)
Thanks!

Slightly off topic but not really: Looking to go ATVing in NH this Fall, what times/dates/days should I stay OUT of the forests??
(not a hunter)
Thanks!
Just wear orange and don't worry about it.

Your chances of getting killed in a car crash on the way to the trail are about 1000 times greater than getting shot by a Hunter while your riding an ATV

MA Archery opens 10/7 and opened 10/1 last year. It used to be the third Monday of October but two years ago they made it first Monday in Oct.

10/7 in your zone maybe. And that's another thing - Why have archery open 2 weeks later in Central MA!!
F-ing stupid...

Archery season zones 10–14: Oct. 7–Nov. 30
Archery season zones 1–9: Oct. 21–Nov. 30

10/7 in your zone maybe. And that's another thing - Why have archery open 2 weeks later in Central MA!!
F-ing stupid...

Archery season zones 10–14: Oct. 7–Nov. 30
Archery season zones 1–9: Oct. 21–Nov. 30
Actually......you don't have it later in 1-9. They all opened up the same week until last year. Because 10-14 are being managed to reduce the population.......10-14 o now open 2 weeks earlier. The western zones are at or below target populations so those zones don't get the extra 2 weeks. It's not f***ing stupid.

There are old school hunters in mass that are advocating for additional management in Western zones such as antler restrictions and one buck per year.....like Vermont uses..... so that the population can recover. Archery hunters are very successful harvesting over the last decade.....it's become more and more popular. Which is good. However if you keep hunting the western zones with an added two weeks like the east your going to see populations go down more out there.

Gents we have it pretty good compared to when I was a kid. Shotgun was a week back then And in 1973 muzzle loader season was 3 days! Deer were pretty hard to find. Not so bad now compared to 45 years ago.

Last edited:
I wish they would do away with doe tags in western zones
Your not alone.

I hear this debate all the time about west zones. New hunters crying about the doe tag lottery and older guys telling em the population is low and should be one buck only out there.

I hunt 10 and 9 so I get my antlerless tags....and use them. I hunt what the state allows me to take in the zone I hunt.

I am with you I take what the state let’s me to feed the family try to take a doe in 9 if I haven’t tagged a buck in 7 or 8 (I live right on the line)
I am in the woods in some 7 a lot and run cameras and scout and I don’t see a ton of deer.
Turkeys on the other hand.

Your not alone.

I hear this debate all the time about west zones. New hunters crying about the doe tag lottery and older guys telling em the population is low and should be one buck only out there.

I hunt 10 and 9 so I get my antlerless tags....and use them. I hunt what the state allows me to take in the zone I hunt.

I’m honestly not concerned with getting a buck in 9. I want a freezer-full so a doe, a deer, a female deer x2 is good for me!

I’m not a trophy hunter either and won’t be mounting any kind of animal whether chipmunk, duck, or bear. No problem with others doing it but I want good meat.

Opening day is Monday here (10/8) in Zone 11. You must be out west. I feel ya man. A few years ago we were opening at that time too. RI is open already and I'm not too far from there. Mid-Sept opening in some parts. Depending on where you are, could be an option.

I’m honestly not concerned with getting a buck in 9. I want a freezer-full so a doe, a deer, a female deer x2 is good for me!

I’m not a trophy hunter either and won’t be mounting any kind of animal whether chipmunk, duck, or bear. No problem with others doing it but I want good meat.
Ah.....

Don't have a problem with it? Mounting a head is not trophy hunting if your also eating the deer......we will see if your opinion on mounting changes if you get a bruiser.

Also Hunting mature bucks only is not "trophy hunting". It's a management plan for the herd. I know your new and all.......but do some research on population management.....as a Hunter you should be aware if those things.

Last edited:

So you have 2 doe tags in 9?

Each state does it based on their Wildlife Orgs judgement on when the best time to hunt is. Maine bow in our expanded zone has been open for a month, regular bow season opens Saturday and then Nov Fiream. We do have a good run at the rut. I stopped hunting in Mass years ago because of the place I hunted was getting crowded and the alternative spot was purchased and posted.

Ah.....

Don't have a problem with it? Mounting a head is not trophy hunting if your also eating the deer......we will see if your opinion on mounting changes if you get a bruiser.

Also Hunting mature bucks only is not "trophy hunting". It's a management plan for the herd. I know your new and all.......but do some research on population management.....as a Hunter you should be aware if those things.
Like I said I don’t have a problem with it. I may go so far as to do a bear skin rug in the future but we all change don’t we? It’s just not something I would do currently. As to herd management I would venture to guess that there are more hunters “trophying” than those that are “managing” that buck whether they know the effects or not.

Like I said I don’t have a problem with it. I may go so far as to do a bear skin rug in the future but we all change don’t we? It’s just not something I would do currently. As to herd management I would venture to guess that there are more hunters “trophying” than those that are “managing” that buck whether they know the effects or not.

I'm not sure what your trying to say.
Targeting large mature bucks is best management practice when trying to increase a deer herd.

Vermont has antler restrictions.......so you are allowed to only take bucks that have been around for a season or two in order breed. They are trying to increase the population.

9-14 here in mass they are trying to decrease the population as it is very high hence the additional antlerless tags. I'll do my best in zone 9 to aid the management plan lol

Last edited:
Hope I put the smack down on a beauty behind my new house ! Wack em , stack em kill em and grill em !

I'm not sure what your trying to say.
Targeting large mature bucks is best management practice when trying to increase a deer herd.

Vermont has antler restrictions.......so you are allowed to only take bucks that have been around for a season or two in order breed. They are trying to increase the population.

9-14 here in mass they are trying to decrease the population as it is very high hence the additional antlerless tags. I'll do my best in zone 9 to aid the management plan lol
I’m saying not everyone may be as focused on management as you may be. There’s boatloads for me to learn after only hunting for 1 year now. The jibe about trophy hunting may be misplaced here.

Back
Top Bottom