• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

I think the shorthand terminology used in gun forums is "gun self defense" (GSD) for situations like this.

I've tried to think up situations where you wouldn't be automatically arrested / charged with murder / manslaughter in a GSD situation in PRMA. This might be it ...

A LEO is talking with Martha Coakley on a street corner and a drug-addled crack dealer draws down on the LEO and wings him / otherwise incapacitates him. You take out the gunman before he can do any more damage.

What are the alternative outcomes here?

You get shot by some other officer late to the scene because he fired and missed the gunman?

Her security detail finally shows up and shoots you because they figure it's an assassination attempt and you're in on it?

Somehow I still end up wondering what the odds are that you might just be patted on the back and allowed to walk away because you "did society a favor".

I think the shorthand terminology used in gun forums is "gun self defense" (GSD) for situations like this.

I've tried to think up situations where you wouldn't be automatically arrested / charged with murder / manslaughter in a GSD situation in PRMA. This might be it ...

A LEO is talking with Martha Coakley on a street corner and a drug-addled crack dealer draws down on the LEO and wings him / otherwise incapacitates him. You take out the gunman before he can do any more damage.

What are the alternative outcomes here?

You get shot by some other officer late to the scene because he fired and missed the gunman?

Her security detail finally shows up and shoots you because they figure it's an assassination attempt and you're in on it?

Somehow I still end up wondering what the odds are that you might just be patted on the back and allowed to walk away because you "did society a favor".

If you really want, please start another thread about this, this has nothing to do with handgun compliance. (SD law and handgun compliance are not really relevant to one another, at all).

-Mike

Private transfer (FTF) question

I'm planning to buy my next firearm through a private transfer and would really appreciate your help to explain the dirty details for me, especially if it has been asked and answered (I somehow failed to locate).

my understanding is both seller and buyer are required to report the transfer to the state, and my question is specifically for the buyer. Is the FA-10 form, either electronic or paper, being used during the transfer sufficient to meet the requirement of the law or buyer has to do something extra?

Again, your help will be greatly appreciated!

I'm planning to buy my next firearm through a private transfer and would really appreciate your help to explain the dirty details for me, especially if it has been asked and answered (I somehow failed to locate).

my understanding is both seller and buyer are required to report the transfer to the state, and my question is specifically for the buyer. Is the FA-10 form, either electronic or paper, being used during the transfer sufficient to meet the requirement of the law or buyer has to do something extra?

Again, your help will be greatly appreciated!
I think this is off topic. If you do an eFA-10, you don't need to send anything in. You just fill out the form online, and download and print out the pdf result.

I think this is off topic. If you do an eFA-10, you don't need to send anything in. You just fill out the form online, and download and print out the pdf result.

Thanks for the reply! I guess that's where my brain got stuck. :-( since seller always asks for the FA-10 to do FTF transfer, the online submission of that is enough to cover my bases, is that a correct understanding? Again, I may be looking at this from the wrong angle, but how would one download and print the form when the transfer happens at a public place, most likely?

Thanks for the reply! I guess that's where my brain got stuck. :-( since seller always asks for the FA-10 to do FTF transfer, the online submission of that is enough to cover my bases, is that a correct understanding? Again, I may be looking at this from the wrong angle, but how would one download and print the form when the transfer happens at a public place, most likely?

The seller (the seller inputs the information online) can send you a copy through an email. You check your email to be sure you have a copy, then you print it when you get somewhere where you have a printer.

The seller (the seller inputs the information online) can send you a copy through an email. You check your email to be sure you have a copy, then you print it when you get somewhere where you have a printer.

Just to be crystal clear, (sorry to be a pain :) the printout is simply for my record, nothing more for the buyer to submit to the state, right? Thx!

I have a question about trigger jobs, someone told me that if I used my gun in a SD situation and the police inspect my gun and found it to have a modified trigger ( 5 lbs. instead of 10-12 lbs) that I could be charged with a crime? I think this I BS but I would to know . Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a question about trigger jobs, someone told me that if I used my gun in a SD situation and the police inspect my gun and found it to have a modified trigger ( 5 lbs. instead of 10-12 lbs) that I could be charged with a crime? I think this I BS but I would to know . Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are correct that this is BS. Handgun compliance issues are a matter for dealers to be concerned with, not purchasers or users.

I have a question about trigger jobs, someone told me that if I used my gun in a SD situation and the police inspect my gun and found it to have a modified trigger ( 5 lbs. instead of 10-12 lbs) that I could be charged with a crime? I think this I BS but I would to know .

Complete BS.

For a defensive gun, it makes sense to keep the trigger at a reasonable weight for a number of reasons, but there is no law against performing a trigger job.

MTC: The handgun trigger weight issue is part of a regulation from the Attorney General's office. Specifically 940 CMR 16.05 (2), which reads:

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

Note that "handgun-purveyor" in this regulations means a dealer. You are not a dealer. Full text of the AG's handgun regulations is here: http://www.mass.gov/ago/docs/regulations/940-cmr-16-00.pdf

If said person insists it is against the law to do a trigger job, ask him for a citation to the law in question (aka, "put up or shut up"). He won't be able to provide it.

The bottom line is whoever told you that is full of shit, and it might be a good idea to stop listening to anything they say. [laugh]

I had a lawyer tell me the same thing the other night, of course I don't think he was neither a firearms law or criminal defense attorney. That just shows you how far this myth has been propagated.

-Mike

Sorry if you covered this, I am active duty militarystationed in Maine. I have a Mass Class A LTC. While in Maine I purchased a Non-MAcompliant Glock. I would be fine to register when I come back to Mass as longas I get rid of the hi cap magazines? Hope this is true because I would hate tohave to sell it just to hunt down a preban. Thanks for your help in advance.

The bottom line is whoever told you that is full of shit, and it might be a good idea to stop listening to anything they say. [laugh]

I had a lawyer tell me the same thing the other night, of course I don't think he was neither a firearms law or criminal defense attorney. That just shows you how far this myth has been propagated.

-Mike

Dracut gun shop was saying this at one point . Told me he couldn't sell a used gun that had a trigger job. Granted that was within his first month of being open .

Sorry if you covered this, I am active duty militarystationed in Maine. I have a Mass Class A LTC. While in Maine I purchased a Non-MAcompliant Glock. I would be fine to register when I come back to Mass as longas I get rid of the hi cap magazines? Hope this is true because I would hate tohave to sell it just to hunt down a preban. Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks for your Service!

Glocks are NOT banned in MA!

The gun is fine, bring it with you. Mags either pre-ban or 10 rd if post-ban (magic date is 9/13/1994).

do I just leave the seller info blank on the eFA-10?

dkingsland, you do NOT have to register it when you come in. I am sure LenS will be able to confirm this for you. You only need to do an eFA10 if you were to sell it to someone. Otherwise there is no requirement for people moving into MA to register any of their guns they bring in with them.

When you move in with firearms there is NO requirement to register them.

Any "registration" of firearms is supposed to be done WITHOUT info on the source of the gun. FRB INTENTIONALLY built their website to "SEEM TO" demand that info, which if you fill it out can have dire consequences, but you can skip that info and you're still legal.

Is an early 1980's Ruger Security Six legal to transfer into MA? It hasn't been manufactured since the 1980's and is not high capacity. They'd be no way for to be on the EOPS since it is out of production.

Is an early 1980's Ruger Security Six legal to transfer into MA? It hasn't been manufactured since the 1980's and is not high capacity. They'd be no way for to be on the EOPS since it is out of production.

Based on your statement, No. However ask dealers and see if someone "reads" MGL differently and if so, just do it.

If the handgun was registered in Ma then you would be ok but from earlier quotes I'll assume it's from out of state and has never been registered in Ma before. In this case most FFL's will not touch it.

Does anyone know whether the new S&W Model 66-8 is MA complaint yet? The latest "Approved Firearms Roster", from September, 2014, lists the Model 66-7, but not the 66-8. I am wondeering whether it was approved in the last few months.

Does anyone know whether the new S&W Model 66-8 is MA complaint yet? The latest "Approved Firearms Roster", from September, 2014, lists the Model 66-7, but not the 66-8. I am wondeering whether it was approved in the last few months.

Probably not, but none of this matters. Start talking to dealers about whether or not they can transfer one in. You might get lucky. It's a smith revolver, plain and non controversial.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom