• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma gun transaction portal server

The server is down and was wondering if anyone knows what is going on. Doesn't even try to load. Was down all day yesterday too. Drove an hour to buy a gun yesterday and couldn't make the transaction.
Thanks

The server is down and was wondering if anyone knows what is going on. Doesn't even try to load. Was down all day yesterday too. Drove an hour to buy a gun yesterday and couldn't make the transaction.
Thanks

You have 7 days to get it done

Has anyone ever disclosed the state of the registry itself?
How well maintained?
How well secure?
How complete?
If someone got busted for an off registry gun, could the state actually prove their system didnt just lose it, or was deleted?

Even with a personal sale/transfer? I thought that was just for registration.
A seller shall, within seven days, report all such transfers to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services according to the provisions set forth in section one hundred and twenty-eight A ...

How well maintained? Well, it's broken
How well secure?
How complete?
well, apparently, once on the registry, it stays on your "list" even after you sell
If someone got busted for an off registry gun, could the state actually prove their system didnt just lose it, or was deleted?

There are 1,000s of off registry guns, as it's not a registry, but a record of transactions. If you move into the PRM with guns, there's no transaction, so no record is required. Owning or possessing (with correct permission slip) a gun that's not recorded is not a crime. Guns that had transactions reported with the old Blue Cards (pre FA-10) may, or may not, be on the state's list, as many of the cards were destroyed through neglect before they were entered into an electronic registry; for those, even though properly reported, there's no record.

Oh, I agree that it's a de facto registry, but since there's no penalty for having an off-list gun on your hip, it's not a true "registry."

I'm not a fan, but I also think that new people to the game (OP is a low-post person), should have the correct terminology. It's like calling a magazine a "clip," or using the term "boolit."

And, when the state's online instructions don't have the details right about the requirements for people moving to the PRM (an error, I'm sure [rolleyes]), adding more imprecision to the fakakta mess, when people will arrive here for info, is a bad idea, IMO.

So do FFLs batch process and submit once a week or do their systems record each transaction individually in real time?

You have 7 days to get it done

I've wondered if this is valid with the EFA-10. I guess you could do a paper one for the signature and do a EFA-10 later.

I just checked and the site is still down for me.

About a year ago I was buying a gun at a gun shop and it was down. We waited about 30 minutes and the dealer ended up calling them and they did not know it was down, so they said, then they rebooted the system and it was back in 5 minutes.

So if your a dealer call them, they have a special number.

Last edited:
If they refuse to accept the paper form (as has been reported here), and you don't e-file as they wish, you may have fun. I think that few will try it, with the stakes being what they are.

If one arm of the state decides to violate the law, will another arm of the state force them to? Let's think about that - when towns violate the MGLs at licensing time what recourse is there? Do you think that if the FRB is in violation, anyone on their side will come to our aid?

How well maintained?
How well secure?
How complete?
I believe it's kept on a server in the basement of a prominent former presidential candidate's home in upstate New York. I'm told it's fully secure and totally legal. Nothing to see here, folks...

hillary-wink-crazy-getty-640x480.jpg

The worst that will happen is they'll send you a rejection letter and you'll just be asked to do it electronically. As far as I'm concerned if you have proof you attempted to comply with the law in the necessary time window they're going to have a tough time actually bagging you on it.

Why do you think they'll have trouble bagging anyone? Statute is pretty clear on this:

MGL C. 140 § 128a said:
Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall, prior to or at the point of sale, be conducted over a real time web portal...

Back
Top Bottom