• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Gun Registration

A friend is doing an audit of his firearm collection. Is there a way for him to find all his guns in the MA registry?
Ahh, so there IS a registry!

He can download and then fill out a form found on the site, then send it in with the twenty dollars,
(bank check or money order ONLY). You will receive back, mail or email, a listing of purchases, but the data does not account for or deduct sales/outflows. Useless it all is.

Last edited:
OP ... for your "friend" ;) and anyone else that might be wondering... here is why the records are wrong:

Example 1:
- sell a gun, later you buy it back. The record might show you own the gun twice.

Example 2:
- move to MA with 20 guns. Buy 3 guns in MA. Now you own 23 guns, the records show you own 3.

Example 3:
- buy 1 gun in MA. Move out of MA and buy 5 guns. Sell the gun you bought in MA, move back to MA with the 5 guns you still own. The record shows you own 1 gun you don't really own and because you sold it in a free state, there is no proof of the sale.

Example 4:
Maybe you registered a build with caliber X, then decided caliber X was lame and used the lower for caliber Y. The record shows you own a gun with caliber X not Y.

I can keep going ...

So, as I said above, stop worrying about what the MA database shows.

If "your friend" ;) is pretty sure he lost a gun, he needs to contact an attorney ASAP.

I think the $20 and notarized form is worth it.

You know what you have.

But don't you want to know what the state thinks you have?

I did the same thing after the MA "laws" were reinterpreted. I have 2 guns listed by the state to me that i have never heard of or owned a gun like it. I think getting the list from the state may have some valie to some people but it is pretty useless other than some general info for someone that is curious.

OP ... for your "friend" ;) and anyone else that might be wondering... here is why the records are wrong:

Example 1:
- sell a gun, later you buy it back. The record might show you own the gun twice.

Example 2:
- move to MA with 20 guns. Buy 3 guns in MA. Now you own 23 guns, the records show you own 3.

Example 3:
- buy 1 gun in MA. Move out of MA and buy 5 guns. Sell the gun you bought in MA, move back to MA with the 5 guns you still own. The record shows you own 1 gun you don't really own and because you sold it in a free state, there is no proof of the sale.

Example 4:
Maybe you registered a build with caliber X, then decided caliber X was lame and used the lower for caliber Y. The record shows you own a gun with caliber X not Y.

I can keep going ...

So, as I said above, stop worrying about what the MA database shows.

If "your friend" ;) is pretty sure he lost a gun, he needs to contact an attorney ASAP.
I thought if you moved into MA, you could bring most things (off-register, but not outright prohibited) but you had to "register" them?

I thought if you moved into MA, you could bring most things (off-register, but not outright prohibited) but you had to "register" them?
You don't need to register anything when moving to MA.

Did that change?

Another example ...

This happens ... dealer puts the wrong serial in the FA10 sometimes even the wrong serial and caliber (I have seen it).

Congrats, now you own a gun you don't own.

Another example, you are old enough to have had guns sold to you on the old "blue card" and the records were lost in a flood at a state building decades ago. I still have a few "onion skins" in my files.

Who among you are old enough to know what that is?
Ha!!! Len has posted on this in the past. Rumors of the number of blue cards destroyed have been greatly exaggerated. [laugh]

You don't need to register anything when moving to MA.

Did that change?
No change. Since you MUST register guns within 7 days of the gun coming into MA . . . and it takes MONTHS to get a LTC (so that you could register those guns), they made an exemption whereby you do NOT have to EVER register the guns you moved into MA with!
Another example, you are old enough to have had guns sold to you on the old "blue card" and the records were lost in a flood at a state building decades ago. I still have a few "onion skins" in my files.

Who among you are old enough to know what that is?
I still have onion skins as well. You are off-track however wrt destroyed records.
Ha!!! Len has posted on this in the past. Rumors of the number of blue cards destroyed have been greatly exaggerated. [laugh]
Yes, I spoke to none other than the first director of what became FRB, Ham Perkins (who is also a gun person) and got the straight scoop from him in a FTF conversation some years ago. 30K blue cards destroyed and over 1Million records computerized. I'll leave it to others to figure the odds on this.

Much more likely are bad scans, undecipherable handwriting on the blue cards and FA-10 forms causing errors in their database.

The state “allows you” to register them if you choose to. There is no requirement to do so
Nothing personal to anyone here, but the stupidist thing one can do is to register what isn't required by law or trying to correct errors in their database.

Lol. No. I was expecting that.
Here’s something to think about.

Dems control Massachusetts. No Republicans can stop any legislation if Dems want it to happen.

In the past bunch of years, the Dems could have passed the nastiest gun control that made NY and NJ look like pikers. They didn’t. Mass isn’t great, but it’s a lot better than the states who have gone full commie.

The question is why?

There are many scenarios in which the EFA-10/FRB system can say you have X gun(s) when you don't..... and don't have X gun(s) when you do.

Most people will say you shouldn't be concerned over it. If you are worried about it OP, just make sure to keep a solid paper trail when it comes to guns in MA in the future. Things like bills of sale, copies of EFA-10s, receipts from FFLs, et cetera.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom