MA Gun Laws

For semi-auto rifles does an adjustable cheekrest (even if the stock itself is fixed) count as an evil AWB feature?

The evil feature is specifically “folding or telescoping”, not “adjustable”.

You can have an adjustable length stock as long as it doesn’t telescope. e.g.: spacers or a threaded turnbuckle style adjuster.

If I want to buy a semi-auto rifle (like a SCAR) made after 1994 that has a pistol grip and threaded barrel, I hear you have to get a compensator and have it pinned or welded to the barrel. However, if I were to move to a free state later, does this mean I would have to buy a completely new barrel to "unneuter" my rifle? Can a gunsmith fox the barrel again?

If I want to buy a semi-auto rifle (like a SCAR) made after 1994 that has a pistol grip and threaded barrel, I hear you have to get a compensator and have it pinned or welded to the barrel. However, if I were to move to a free state later, does this mean I would have to buy a completely new barrel to "unneuter" my rifle? Can a gunsmith fox the barrel again?
A gunsmith can fix it. Permanent in the sense of the AWB doesn’t mean forever irreversibly modified. The barrel threads can be made useable again, but it takes the right equipment which a gunsmith should have.

With FOPA you need to be legally able to possess the firearm in both your home state and the destination state. If MA is the destination he'd need an MA non-resident license.
You REALLY need to know the finer points of FOPA86 so you can articulate your behavior as being consistent with said statute. It is easy for someone only vaguely familiar with the law to slip up and say something that is an admission of non-compliance with the exemption.

I know glocks are on EOPS but not our dear leader's roster, so can I buy one in another state in which I have a home and license and bring it back here? What about non-roster guns?

Also, am I putting an FFL, specifically a friend, in a weird spot asking him to frame transfer a new gun? What about buying a used newer gun online and asking him to transfer it?

I know glocks are on EOPS but not our dear leader's roster, so can I buy one in another state in which I have a home and license and bring it back here? What about non-roster guns?

Also, am I putting an FFL, specifically a friend, in a weird spot asking him to frame transfer a new gun? What about buying a used newer gun online and asking him to transfer it?

Federal law says that you can purchase handguns only in your state of residency.

Multiple people have stated in this forum, (and others), that residency in multiple states in terms of this regulation is possible. My personal experience is that I have not been able to make it work for me.

As far as the Massachusetts roster goes - the roster is a list of what firearms a FFL may sell to a citizen, (possible/probable exemptions for LEO or Military - I don't know). If you can legally purchase the firearm in another state of residence - the roster doesn't affect you. What may affect you is whether the firearm is legal to posses in your home state.

Multi-state residency is tricky, since dealers in states other than MA tend to rely on a driving license or similar to prove in state residence, and do not accept that state's carry permit. If you have a NH driving license, legitimate part of year residency, and a MA LTC with your MA address you couled easily buy in both since MA dealers tend to accept the MA LTC as full and complete documentation of legal purchase status (verified via MIRCS) and residence.

You will likely find that attempting to either argue the law or prove your part time residency status by showing a deed or closing statement to many dealers to be an exercise in futility. They view themselves as authority figures/professionals, will and certainly are not going to risk their FFL on some less intelligent punk amateurs (that's what they see you as) interpretation of the law.

Last edited:
Multi-state residency is tricky, since dealers in states other than MA tend to rely on a driving license or similar to prove in state residence, and do not accept that state's carry permit. If you have a NH driving license, legitimate part of year residency, and a MA LTC with your MA address you coule easily buy in both since MA dealers tend to accept the MA LTC as full and complete documentation of legal purchase status (verified via MIRCS) and residence.

You will likely find that attempting to either argue the law or prove your part time residency status by showing a deed or closing statement to many dealers to be an exercise in futility. They view themselves as authority figures/professionals, will and certainly are not going to risk their FFL on some less intelligent punk amateurs (that's what they see you as) interpretation of the law.
I know one shop in NH that will accept a picture ID with one address and a gov doc (tax bill) or utility bill as proof of residence. But I'm sure that isn't common.

I know one shop in NH that will accept a picture ID with one address and a gov doc (tax bill) or utility bill as proof of residence. But I'm sure that isn't common.
You can build up an inventory of multiple photo ids for each residence by not applying for your various non-resident permits from only one of you addresses.

I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to the hobby of shooting and collecting, and I've seen people mention that Glocks are not allowed or are illegal in MA.

They appear to me to be on the approved handgun list. If they're on the approved list, you should have no problem buying them, right?

I apologize for being ignorant, I know I must be missing something! Did Maura Healey issue some kind of extra-legal guidance specifically on Glocks?

I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to the hobby of shooting and collecting, and I've seen people mention that Glocks are not allowed or are illegal in MA.

They appear to me to be on the approved handgun list. If they're on the approved list, you should have no problem buying them, right?

I apologize for being ignorant, I know I must be missing something! Did Maura Healey issue some kind of extra-legal guidance specifically on Glocks?
The AGs office, under the color of their consumer protection responsibility, has decided that some firearms are too dangerous for an MA licensed dealer to sell to an unsuspecting public. Such as Glock. Note that both this and the approved firearm roster apply only to dealers selling to the public, not to possession by that public.

You may only buy a handgun (from a dealer or individual) in your state of residence. Out of state purchases must be run through a MA dealer that is subject to all edicts of the crown.

The exception is bequest/inheritance.

Not sure if this is the right place but I'll try any way not much of a forum user

In mass if you have a LTC and your fire arm is on your hip in an appropriate holster but your jacket covers it up would this be considered a concealed carry or would it fall in line with open carry?

Not sure if this is the right place but I'll try any way not much of a forum user

In mass if you have a LTC and your fire arm is on your hip in an appropriate holster but your jacket covers it up would this be considered a concealed carry or would it fall in line with open carry?

Hypothetically:

Is this due to a LTC restriction?

To make it more confusing, inside the waistband or outside the waistband holster?

Is the concern about alarming others? Not your concern legally in MA but still a headache.

Hypothetically:

Is this due to a LTC restriction?

To make it more confusing, inside the waistband or outside the waistband holster?

Is the concern about alarming others? Not your concern legally in MA but still a headache.
Outside the waist band I have a class a LTC the concern would be that if my jacket covered the majority of the holster say in the rain would I no longer be open carrying and be considered concealed carrying which I don't believe is legal

Outside the waist band I have a class a LTC the concern would be that if my jacket covered the majority of the holster say in the rain would I no longer be open carrying and be considered concealed carrying which I don't believe is legal
Not an issue legally. LTC means that you can carry concealed or openly. Openly will get you hassled by all the Karens and many LEOs however. Keep it covered is the best advice unless you are on your own property.

Not an issue legally. LTC means that you can carry concealed or openly. Openly will get you hassled by all the Karens and many LEOs however. Keep it covered is the best advice unless you are on your own property.
Seriously? I did not think that I could conceal leagally without a specific licences to do so (beyond my LTC class a) Sorry to be so ignorant but what are the specifics that qualify as "conceal carry "
Does it require a specific holster I believe the open carry holster requires a strap are there any specific limitations such as that
Thanks for your time by the way

Seriously? I did not think that I could conceal leagally without a specific licences to do so (beyond my LTC class a) Sorry to be so ignorant but what are the specifics that qualify as "conceal carry "
Does it require a specific holster I believe the open carry holster requires a strap are there any specific limitations such as that
Thanks for your time by the way
I don't know who taught you that, but there are no "specifics" in the laws. You are way over-thinking this.

@Rpgnir84 obviously you're new to this and I would have expected your class to have covered this. But of course I haven't taken the training in decades so maybe the content has changed a bit. Regardless, take another class or two and get some training. @Len-2A Training used to do some classes, not sure if he still does but if he doesn't maybe he knows a good one. Getting the LTC is the start of your training, not the end.

Yeah I guess so thanks for the info now to find a comfy in the waist holster and maybe a smaller pistol
I'm afraid your LTC trainer may have done you wrong on the MA law section. Please do continue your training. Check with GOAL for one of their periodic MA Gun Law for Citizens seminars. Or take one of Len's classes, he's one of the legends. Hell, sit in for the law portion of one of my classes this winter if you like, but please do something. This is info you need in order to stay out of trouble here.

@Rpgnir84 obviously you're new to this and I would have expected your class to have covered this. But of course I haven't taken the training in decades so maybe the content has changed a bit. Regardless, take another class or two and get some training. @Len-2A Training used to do some classes, not sure if he still does but if he doesn't maybe he knows a good one. Getting the LTC is the start of your training, not the end.
Yes, I'm still teaching, up at Londonderry (NH) F&G. MA really requires very little content wrt MGLs training for the BFS classes, and many instructors do a very poor job of covering that material.
I'm afraid your LTC trainer may have done you wrong on the MA law section. Please do continue your training. Check with GOAL for one of their periodic MA Gun Law for Citizens seminars. Or take one of Len's classes, he's one of the legends. Hell, sit in for the law portion of one of my classes this winter if you like, but please do something. This is info you need in order to stay out of trouble here.
I am running one of my Mass Gun Law Seminars on Sunday, Oct. 17th at Londonderry F&G. Details can be found on my website 2A Training or here on NES at Mass Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers Seminar - Sun., October 17, 2021

Person has an LTC class A no restrictions in MA.

This person’s father lived in Maine and had a couple of non-sinister handguns (.22lr and .308). The father was found to have dementia and could no longer live independently in his home.
The father is now in long term memory care unit for the rest of his life. The son has durable power of attorney, btw.

Does the son need to do anything before taking possession of the guns? Not an inheritance, but maybe register?

Person has an LTC class A no restrictions in MA.

This person’s father lived in Maine and had a couple of non-sinister handguns (.22lr and .308). The father was found to have dementia and could no longer live independently in his home.
The father is now in long term memory care unit for the rest of his life. The son has durable power of attorney, btw.

Does the son need to do anything before taking possession of the guns? Not an inheritance, but maybe register?
The son can report is as a transfer on the eFA-10 using his DPA as the basis for entering his fathers info and password. I would expect the FRB would provide him with his father's LTC PIN if he presented the DPA. This is assuming, of course, that the durable power of attorney is all-encompassing and not limited to specific purposes. I saw one dpa that was "everything except signing the subject into a psychiatric facility against his/her will", and another "solely for the purpose of selling real estate located at ....."

Back
Top Bottom