• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Gun Laws

question.... i have a Class A large capacity LTC. does that mean i can purchase any type of large capacity magazine that exceeds the 10 rounders, or am i still restricted to the 10 rd magazines? BTW, i'm not LE. i always thought even though i have CLASS A LARGE CAP LTC, that i am still restricted to the 10 round capacity, unless if the magazine is a preban mag. i'm only bringing this up, because i met a couple of shooters at a local range, and they told me i can purchase any type of magazine that exceeds 10 rounds because my LTC states Large Capacity. can someone clarify this for me, please. i just moved to Ma., so the gun laws here are a bit foggy, compared to the Texas gun laws.

question.... i have a Class A large capacity LTC. does that mean i can purchase any type of large capacity magazine that exceeds the 10 rounders, or am i still restricted to the 10 rd magazines? BTW, i'm not LE. i always thought even though i have CLASS A LARGE CAP LTC, that i am still restricted to the 10 round capacity, unless if the magazine is a preban mag. i'm only bringing this up, because i met a couple of shooters at a local range, and they told me i can purchase any type of magazine that exceeds 10 rounds because my LTC states Large Capacity. can someone clarify this for me, please. i just moved to Ma., so the gun laws here are a bit foggy, compared to the Texas gun laws.

You are right, they are wrong. Possession of any "post-ban large capacity" magazines is a felony, punishable by up to a $10,000 fine and 10 years in prison. (M.G.L. c.140 s.131M)

You can buy any large-capacity magazine for your guns... as long as they were manufactured and, I believe, in the state of MA prior to the ban.

Because, you know.... those magazines made before 1994 were so much less lethal than the ones now.

You can buy any large-capacity magazine for your guns... as long as they were manufactured [STRIKE]and, I believe, in the state of MA [/STRIKE]prior to the ban.

Because, you know.... those magazines made before 1994 were so much less lethal than the ones now.

Nothing in MGLs requires that the mags have been in MA before today. It is DOB on the mags that count (only) and the magic date is 9/13/1994.

You can buy any large-capacity magazine for your guns... as long as they were manufactured and, I believe, in the state of MA prior to the ban.

It does not have to have been in MA. It just has to have been made prior to the cutoff date someplace. It could have been in China or Texas or Romania. It doesn't matter where it was. it only matters when it was made.

ETA: Same with preban rifles

Here is a hint. preban mags outside of NY and MA are nothing more than inexpensive old magazines.

Last edited:
im searching through this law forum trying to find out if it is legal for my grandson to go hunting on his own. he has an fid card and is 16 and a half. can someone let me know if he can do it or if he needs and adult with him? i will be trying to find out too but as ive been looking all afternoon im going to stop for an hour or so and then continue my search.

15–17 years of age good to go no adult nessary.

Massachusetts Fish & Wildlife Guide 2010

"MINORS 15–17 years of age must be licensed and have required stamps and permits to hunt any bird or mammal. To obtain a hunting license a minor must have a letter of consent from a parent or guardian, and either a Basic Hunter Education Certificate or a letter signed by a parent affirming that the minor will be accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.
Minors between 12 and 14 inclusive may hunt when accompanied by a duly licensed adult, provided that a single bag limit shall be observed and only one firearm/bow is possessed by the two. Only one minor per adult is permitted"

Can a non-licensed MA resident own and shoot a blackpowder pistol or rifle? On his own property or at a gun range? Thanks.

Ok, I read all the posts and still not clear on a few things.

I have an ltc a , no restrictions:

From what I read " I cannot carry in a school, federal or state building, On me while (if drinking with .08 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

Is there anything else I am missing as I am new with this license and certainly don't want to screw up.

Thanks,

From what I read " I cannot carry in a school, federal or state building, On me while (if drinking with .08 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

Massachusetts law prohibits you from carrying while under the influence, but it does not specify the blood alcohol level -- there is no definition in that section of the law as to what under the influence means.

Can a non-licensed MA resident own and shoot a blackpowder pistol or rifle? On his own property or at a gun range? Thanks.

On their own property, a BP rifle yes, a BP pistol, no, they'd need an LTC. At a range while supervised by a licensee they can shoot either though.

Ok, I read all the posts and still not clear on a few things.

I have an ltc a , no restrictions:

Is there anything else I am missing as I am new with this license and certainly don't want to screw up.

Thanks,

We answered you in the thread you cross posted on the subject.

Storage questions again...

I've read this entire thread and have done some searching on the site and am still a bit confused on the storage laws.

Here's my (almost definitely wrong!) take on what I've gleaned. Please correct my errors!

Firearms storage at home:
  • Firearm must be in "locked container" OR the firearm must be be locked (see MGL 140 Section 131L(a))
  • (Question -- so a cable lock through the action or a trigger lock that prevents the trigger from being pulled satisfies the law even if the firearm is not in a locked container?)
  • If you lock the zippers of a soft-sided container, that satisfies the law.
  • (Question -- how good/"real" does the lock have to be? Would the kind of lock that came with suitcases be good enough, for example? Or should one at least use a cable lock to lock the zippers?)
  • (Question -- can a loaded handgun be legally stored in a "locked container"? So can one keep a loaded handgun in, say, an under-the-bed quick access safe?)

Ammo storage at home (for my purposes I'm wondering about pre-assembled cartridges, not containers of powder, primers, and cartridge components):
Actually, I have no idea what the rule is. I don't see anything about ammo storage in all subsections of 131. But I have seen some references here to CMRs about ammo storage. So, does ammo have to be locked up at home or not?

Transportation of firearms in a car:
  • Loaded handgun must be under direct control (generally interpreted as being on the body). Non-handguns are not allowed to be loaded.
  • Unlike in the home, a lock through the action or a trigger lock will not satisfy the law. The gun must be stored, unloaded, in a "locked case or other secure container" or in a locked trunk.
  • Like at home, locking the zippers of a soft-sided case satisfies the law.
  • (Question -- is the "locked case or other secure container" language in 131C considered to be identical to the "locked container" language in 131L? Or is one considered to be stricter and require a higher level of security than the other? And if so, which?)

Ammo transported in car:
Same questions as home storage. 131 subsections don't talk about ammo storage. What do relevant CMRs require?

Here's my (almost definitely wrong!) take on what I've gleaned. Please correct my errors!

Actually, you've got it right (my comments in red)...

Firearms storage at home:
  • Firearm must be in "locked container" OR the firearm must be be locked (see MGL 140 Section 131L(a)) Correct
  • (Question -- so a cable lock through the action or a trigger lock that prevents the trigger from being pulled satisfies the law even if the firearm is not in a locked container?) Yes
  • If you lock the zippers of a soft-sided container, that satisfies the law. Correct
  • (Question -- how good/"real" does the lock have to be? Would the kind of lock that came with suitcases be good enough, for example? Or should one at least use a cable lock to lock the zippers?) There is no guidance on this. I would use a decent lock with the thickest shackle that will fit through the loops
  • (Question -- can a loaded handgun be legally stored in a "locked container"? So can one keep a loaded handgun in, say, an under-the-bed quick access safe?) Yes

Ammo storage at home:

• Does ammo have to be locked up at home or not? Yes. Ammunition storage is controlled by 527 C.M.R. 13.04

Transportation of firearms in a car:
  • Loaded handgun must be under direct control (generally interpreted as being on the body). Non-handguns are not allowed to be loaded. Correct.
  • Unlike in the home, a lock through the action or a trigger lock will not satisfy the law. The gun must be stored, unloaded, in a "locked case or other secure container" or in a locked trunk. True (though technically, "non-large capacity" long-guns can be transported uncased and unlocked, though It's not advisable to do so)
  • Like at home, locking the zippers of a soft-sided case satisfies the law. Correct
  • (Question -- is the "locked case or other secure container" language in 131C considered to be identical to the "locked container" language in 131L? Yes

Ammo transported in car:

• Same questions as home storage. Transportation and storage of ammunition in a vehicle is unregulated

Thank you very much! I assume the relevant ammo regulation is 527 CMR 13.04(1)(e)? Are there any guidelines as to the requirements of the "locked cabinet, closet, or box"? Or is it pretty much anything you can stick a padlock on?

About car trunks.

What effect if any do you suppose the fold down back seats in many cars, has on the law regarding transporting in a locked trunk? Legal as long as the seatback is latched in place?

I suspect the Union of Soviet-American Auto Engineers is responsible for the design feature that allows a Mosin complete with bayonet to be stored in a car trunk.

If access to the trunk from within the car requires a KEY, it qualifies as a locked container. If it is merely a pushbutton or latch with no key, it does NOT qualify as a locked container.

I can't think of a vehicle made in the past 15 years that doesn't an "open trunk" button on the dash or glovebox and I've never seen a keyed lock onthe seat back hatch.

(BUT my experience is limited to cars I've owned, rented or driven - maybe it is less common than I think)

I can't think of a vehicle made in the past 15 years that doesn't an "open trunk" button on the dash or glovebox and I've never seen a keyed lock onthe seat back hatch.

(BUT my experience is limited to cars I've owned, rented or driven - maybe it is less common than I think)

It is very common for cars with seat back latches to have a lock (mechanical) inside the trunk so you can make the trunk inaccessable from someone in the passenger compartment. Sometime models come with a valet key that opens the doors and starts the ignition but does not open the trunk.

My Hondas have a keyed lock on the back deck to open the hatchway. There is also a keyed lock where the trunk release is located in front to disable that.

My 1979 hatchback VW Rabbits had merely a pull-up button to release the back seat to get into the covered area (it really had no trunk).

• Loaded handgun must be under direct control (generally interpreted as being on the body). Non-handguns are not allowed to be loaded.

Sort of. Rifles and shotguns can't be loaded in the vehicle, but SBR's and SBS's can be, because they fall into the same category as handguns in MGL. Not something I'd want to try, but that is what the law says.

Are there any guidelines as to the requirements of the "locked cabinet, closet, or box"? Or is it pretty much anything you can stick a padlock on?

In some parts of the US, the type of container it must be stored in is specifically regulated. In Mass., it's decided in court if your container was secure enough. I agree with what Kevlar said in post #283, use the most secure container and lock combo that you can.

Can a licensed resident of OH that is in MA on military orders transfer a handgun from MA back to OH?

Since the person is a legal resident of OH, when they go back to OH, they are allowed to do anything (buy/sell) that OH residents are legally allowed to do.

Since the person is on military orders in MA, IFF they obtain a MA Resident LTC, while they are in MA on orders they can do anything (buy/sell) that MA residents are legally allowed to do.

Fed Law on this has been quoted many times. Some cities/towns will NOT give Military (on orders in MA) Resident LTCs, and they can get away with that under their unlimited discretion, but other cities/towns will follow the law precisely and issue MA Resident LTCs.

If the person can only get a NR LTC in MA, they can't do anything but possess in MA and would have to buy/sell any handguns only in OH.

Questions regarding procedure for sale of (2) long guns from a MA resident to a NH resident.

My brother (MA resident) is registered owner of 2 long guns (Lee Enfield & SKS). As I understand it, when MA changed the law regarding FIDs a few years ago, my brother didn't bother updating his FID to the 'new' version and thus his 'old' FID lapsed. The two long guns were taken in by a properly FID'd MA resident for storage, though my brother remains the registered owner.

He now wishes to sell both long guns to a friend who is a NH resident. What are the steps he would need to take to complete the sale? I have been reading over posts on NES for a few days and am still not clear.

-Can an 'unlicensed' MA resident sell a firearm registered to them?
-Am I correct that the rifles need to be shipped by an FFL in MA to an FFL in NH because of the interstate sale?
-Does the FFL box up the rifles for shipping or is this the responsibility of the seller?

I appreciate any input on these questions, the many questions I probably haven't thought of, and any suggestions on how best to accomplish the process. Thanks!

The way that I understand the law is (and someone can correct me on this) a properly licensed mass resident can transport them to nh, at which point the non licensed ma resident could bring them to a nh ffl for transfer to the new owner. The unlicensed mass resident can not transport them in mass, but if they are over 18 they can posses long guns in nh.

Current unlicensed owner AND a MA licensed person take the guns to a NH FFL where they are met by buyer and the NH FFL will do all the paperwork. This is the easy way.

FTF across state lines is a Federal Offense, so a dealer in NH (in this case) is necessary to do the transfer.

So Len, once the rifles in nh the unlicensed mass guy would still need a licensed mass guy to transport them? I thought once you were in nh as long as you were over 18 you could posses them.

So Len, once the rifles in nh the unlicensed mass guy would still need a licensed mass guy to transport them? I thought once you were in nh as long as you were over 18 you could posses them.

You are correct, but what's he going to do, drop his friend at the border and sit by the curbside until he returns? Drive two cars to the border and swap the guns from one car to another in a shopping center parking lot?

So from a legal point of view you are right, from a practical point of view I provided a practical way out of it. There are other ways to handle this with a lot less driving, but higher expenses (2 FFLs & shipping).

Ok I agree in a practical view it wouldn't make sense. Either way the key I'd no face to face transfers across state lines, but transfer could be done through an ffl in nh or mass if you want to pay shipping from mass to s nh ffl

Back
Top Bottom