MA Gun Laws

Oh god I can't believe I'm saying this again.... THERE IS NO REGISTRATION IN MA.
So an EFA-10 is sufficient to transfer from Person B to Person A? Even if he does not currently have a MA Drivers License? (but active LTC)

Oh god I can't believe I'm saying this again.... THERE IS NO mandatory REGISTRATION IN MA.
Elsewhere in this forum. Look for Len. [rockon]

Thanks, Matt_SERE. So back to my original set of questions, It boils down to really Questions 1.) and 3.)
1.) Can Person B EFA-10 the handguns to Person A under his current and active MA LTC?
2.) Does Person B have to register those handguns prior to EFA-10 (if able)?
3.) Does Person B have to wait until he has a MA Drivers License again before conducting any of the steps above?
4.) Can Person B just give handguns to Person A to register under Person A's name absent a EFA-10
5.) Since purchased outside of state, is any registration required from any party?
And as a refresh:
Here are our assumptions:
Person A is living in MA, has a MA-LTC Unrestricted
Person B is not living in MA and is a resident of another state, still has residency in MA (Owns a house), and still has valid MA LTC

Person B is moving back and wants to transfer some of what he owns to Person A. Let's just say it's a few handguns including an elusive glock that he hates the grip on but Person A loves...

Person B is driving back into MA from his out of state location back to the same address that his LTC is under. Those firearms were purchased outside of MA that he wants to give to Person A.

So an EFA-10 is sufficient to transfer from Person B to Person A? Even if he does not currently have a MA Drivers License? (but active LTC)
Where in MGL does it REQUIRE a DL to obtain an FID or LTC?

Believe it or not, plenty of people go thru life without a DL. It might be due to medical issues or perhaps they just don't need/want it.

Some PDs may demand it, but some demand all sorts of things that aren't backed up in MGL.

Bottom line in MA is that as long as two people have active MA Resident LTCs (and both have real residences in MA) they transfer guns on eFA-10 and done.
Thanks, Matt_SERE. So back to my original set of questions, It boils down to really Questions 1.) and 3.)
See above.

Also, prior registration or not is totally irrelevant. And if you bother to read some of the stickies in the MA Gun Law subforum or in my training sub-forum, you might learn some useful info about MA gun laws and what you can and can not do legally in the gulag.

Thanks for the guidance. I did read the sub stickies but didn’t find any that addressed dual residencies—they mostly concerned with moving INTO MA from other states without having a pre existing and active LTC yet different license from another state.

Oh god I can't believe I'm saying this again.... THERE IS NO mandatory REGISTRATION IN MA.
Nope, there is no registration.
The eFA-10 is a transaction record, when it's required makes a lot more sense if you remember that.
Also, getting comfortable with calling it a registration will only make it easier for them when they push for registration. Don't enable that.

Nope, there is no registration.
The eFA-10 is a transaction record, when it's required makes a lot more sense if you remember that.
Also, getting comfortable with calling it a registration will only make it easier for them when they push for registration. Don't enable that.
.Gov is already using the term and is on the form. It is voluntary.

1671059788200.png

.Gov is already using the term and is on the form. It is voluntary.

View attachment 698016
you have a link to that, I want to express my displeasure to them directly. my comment stands, there is no registration, the FA-10 was and is, by law, a transaction tracking system. we should not stand by as they push to normalize registration

you have a link to that, I want to express my displeasure to them directly. my comment stands, there is no registration, the FA-10 was and is, by law, a transaction tracking system. we should not stand by as they push to normalize registration
Did you think we were all talking out our ass? Don't answer that! [rofl]
It has been that way for a long, long time. I was asked 30+ years ago if I wanted to register anything when I came back to MA. The only thing discussed with the licensing officer was that I may own something that used 10+ rds in the magazine. This was in the days of LTC-A and LTC-B.

Did you think we were all talking out our ass? Don't answer that! [rofl]
It has been that way for a long, long time. I was asked 30+ years ago if I wanted to register anything when I came back to MA. The only thing discussed with the licensing officer was that I may own something that used 10+ rds in the magazine. This was in the days of LTC-A and LTC-B.
I was an FFL and MA dealer in the days of paper FA-10s. It wasn't a registration then and it isn't now. When they first pushed for it the argument was it wasn't a registration. I don't care that the sheep started following along and called it a registration. It wasn't and still isn't. Going along with their attempt to put a registration in place outside the law, and eventually "normalize" the idea, is just another way to see our rights trashed. How can we win back our rights when people voluntarily give then away.

I was an FFL and MA dealer in the days of paper FA-10s. It wasn't a registration then and it isn't now. When they first pushed for it the argument was it wasn't a registration. I don't care that the sheep started following along and called it a registration. It wasn't and still isn't. Going along with their attempt to put a registration in place outside the law, and eventually "normalize" the idea, is just another way to see our rights trashed. How can we win back our rights when people voluntarily give then away.
Absolutely agree. But 'registering' has nothing to do with FFL's in MA. It is an unfortunate choice that has been offered by the state.gov to the gun owner. When the E-FA10 became the norm, it was discussed here on NES. This may be why it flew under your radar.
You gotta love how it is the second section listed. S/
Cheers. Matt.

You can continue tilting at windmills, but the GCA of 1998 codified the use of the term "registration". Here's your proof . . . a scan of the 10/98 revision of the paper FA-10 and the instructions that went with it.

Attachments

• FA-10 Instructions 1098.jpg
    FA-10 Instructions 1098.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 31
  • FA-10 1098.jpg
    FA-10 1098.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 31
You can continue tilting at windmills, but the GCA of 1998 codified the use of the term "registration". Here's your proof . . . a scan of the 10/98 revision of the paper FA-10 and the instructions that went with it.
What would I do if I wasn't tilting at windmills, it's all I got left.

Coming back to handgun ownership this past year for the 1st time since 1999 and wow, things have changed. Some for the better maybe and some is getting ridiculous.
At 1st the Mass law about direct control in your vehicle kind of seemed intrusive to me but the real thing I agree with is you can't just leave it in the glove compartment or whatever in the car. My thought is it gets broken into and there goes your gun to the bad boys market.

Coming back to handgun ownership this past year for the 1st time since 1999 and wow, things have changed. Some for the better maybe and some is getting ridiculous.
At 1st the Mass law about direct control in your vehicle kind of seemed intrusive to me but the real thing I agree with is you can't just leave it in the glove compartment or whatever in the car. My thought is it gets broken into and there goes your gun to the bad boys market.
And how is this different from if they just take the whole locking case?

Massachusetts Gun Laws in the news:

I hate the way they do these remove line, add line, BS. Its designed to confuse and obfuscate what it actually does. I like the NH system where they put in the entire law, striking out what they want removed and adding bold what them want to put in.

If someone puts together a before and after of the law I'd love to see it, don't think I have the time or patience to do it, really need to put my time into convincing my kids to get the hell out of MA.

I hate the way they do these remove line, add line, BS. Its designed to confuse and obfuscate what it actually does. I like the NH system where they put in the entire law, striking out what they want removed and adding bold what them want to put in.

If someone puts together a before and after of the law I'd love to see it, don't think I have the time or patience to do it, really need to put my time into convincing my kids to get the hell out of MA.

The main item appears to be a total ban on 'Assault-Style' weapons. As you would expect, there is a thread on this.

But Picton says he sees no reason why things will get "dramatically worse":
THIS, though, is precisely what I do not see.
Time will tell. ... I don't see any logical reason why, in time, things will get dramatically worse.

But Picton says he sees no reason why things will get "dramatically worse":

Wake me when it happens. Talk is cheap, but it’s worked for Healy before. She can “pledge” whatever she wants.

ETA: I’ve also said, MANY times, that I’d be perfectly fine with Healy going full Hochul. Since that would crank up the boil time on the frog and get all this to SCOTUS even faster.

We’ll win, eventually. I’ve said that many times, too.

Last edited:
just for calibration... i've been away from visiting the forum regularly for a couple years, how many other times in the past 5yrs or so has shite like this come up?

just for calibration... i've been away from visiting the forum regularly for a couple years, how many other times in the past 5yrs or so has shite like this come up?
every session

but usually its typically garbage linstain bills, not bills where the speaker is rubbing one out over it.

Thank you for this link. After speaking directly with my Massachusetts State Rep and Senator or their staff about HD 4420, they don't appear to know or have a basic understanding of what's contained in the bill - not to mention a basic mechanical understanding how firearms work.
Most of them do not

It is still just a document, not yet a bill. Just a quick reminder there.

I've seen it done that way before in MA also.

I thought someone did that over in the main 4420 thread. Maybe go ask there.

Back
Top Bottom